Soo Greyhounds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
IF this is directed at me, I'll say my dribs and drabs of info is completely legit.

It's not hearsay. It's a drip here, drop there, but 100 per cent legit.

Reactions: Radar9

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Looks like Don Cherry took the high road last night. No mention of the Soo's elimination. Hotdogging. Karma. Etc.

Probably for the best. Red Cherry Herring.

Few days ago, a NHL player scored a Hayton-esque goal. In the playoffs.

Scoop-and-score goals dot the Youtube landscape.

Very fundamentally, hockey is sport AND entertainment.

For some, fighting was part of the entertainment, and it has been all but eliminated. For some, the eradication represents a loss of entertainment value.

I can live without it, but it's a loss.

Scoring goals?

Any legal way to score is good in my book.

There's no bad way to score.

Should back flip goals be frowned upon in soccer?

Lord above, of course not. Exhibition of top-shelf skill. Awesome element of entertainment value.

That's what Hayton's goal was.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Probably for the best. Red Cherry Herring.

Few days ago, a NHL player scored a Hayton-esque goal. In the playoffs.

Scoop-and-score goals dot the Youtube landscape.

Very fundamentally, hockey is sport AND entertainment.

For some, fighting was part of the entertainment, and it has been all but eliminated. For some, the eradication represents a loss of entertainment value.

I can live without it, but it's a loss.

Scoring goals?

Any legal way to score is good in my book.

There's no bad way to score.

Should back flip goals be frowned upon in soccer?

Lord above, of course not. Exhibition of top-shelf skill. Awesome element of entertainment value.

That's what Hayton's goal was.

I agree.

The only thing that got him riled, and the hockey world as well (our little hockey world;) ) was the over the top celebrations in a lopsided game (especially after the Howdeschell goal).

The goals themselves? As you said.

DavelPatsyuk

Feb 26, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
So on to our post season discussion. We have 6 fabulous rookies who will be returning, one major steal for a draft pick, and a solid core of "older" guys. Looking not bad, I think. Your opinions, hounds fans?

More than any year, it's really going to depend. I'd say some combination of Hollowell, Sandin, Howdeshell, Sambrook and even Kopacka and Gettinger could all possibly be in or out depending how things play out.

Players I'd be looking to move if they return and have significant interest (assuming we're aiming to recoup assets:
  1. Frost
  2. Johnson
  3. Sambrook
  4. DeMeo
  5. Hollowell
  6. Howdeshell

The returning D core could be fairly solid potentially returning 5 defensemen.

Demeo - Hollowell
Sandin - Sambrook
Wale - LeGuerrier

Calisti - Caron
O'Rourke

Since we haven't yet had a development camp, I don't really have many opinions of the younger guys. But depending how they look in camp I could justify moving guys who would be gone after next year to make room for rookies.

As a Wings fan, it seems the plan is to sigh Sambrook in the offseason. The conversation within the Wings is whether or not he returns here for an OA year, or goes to the ECHL. Grand Rapids is probably too deep. Sandin would be likely to return to Sweeden unless whichever team drafts him wants him to play in North America.

Up front definitely has more room for rookies to step in, but returns a good chunk of the roster. Interesting to follow would be trying to pry John Beecher / Cole Caufield / Drew DeRidder away from any commitments in the USA. Roughing players in, it looks like we return:

Howdeshell - Frost - Jacklin
Trott - Hayton - Roth

Import/Mann? - Carroll - MacKay
Import/Mann? - Kartye / Johnston / McLean - Watson?

The problem next year is depending on how the west falls, I could very realistically see us challenging for or winning the division again next year. I'd definitely look to move players who will not return the year after regardless of our position for young players and picks. The picks from the Raddysh trade hurt, but they'll be easy to get back. The problem begins if we're unable to do so. I think you probably shoot for a contention window of 2019-20, 2020-2021 built around Barret Hayton and the rest of our younger core. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
More than any year, it's really going to depend. I'd say some combination of Hollowell, Sandin, Howdeshell, Sambrook and even Kopacka and Gettinger could all possibly be in or out depending how things play out.

Players I'd be looking to move if they return and have significant interest (assuming we're aiming to recoup assets:
  1. Frost
  2. Johnson
  3. Sambrook
  4. DeMeo
  5. Hollowell
  6. Howdeshell

Demeo - Hollowell
Sandin - Sambrook
Wale - LeGuerrier

Calisti - Caron
O'Rourke

Since we haven't yet had a development camp, I don't really have many opinions of the younger guys. But depending how they look in camp I could justify moving guys who would be gone after next year to make room for rookies.

As a Wings fan, it seems the plan is to sigh Sambrook in the offseason. The conversation within the Wings is whether or not he returns here for an OA year, or goes to the ECHL. Grand Rapids is probably too deep. Sandin would be likely to return to Sweeden unless whichever team drafts him wants him to play in North America.

Up front definitely has more room for rookies to step in, but returns a good chunk of the roster. Interesting to follow would be trying to pry John Beecher / Cole Caufield / Corson Green away from any commitments in the USA. Roughing players in, it looks like we return:

Trott - Hayton - Roth

The problem next year is depending on how the west falls, I could very realistically see us challenging for or winning the division again next year. I'd definitely look to move players who will not return the year after regardless of our position for young players and picks. The picks from the Raddysh trade hurt, but they'll be easy to get back. The problem begins if we're unable to do so. I think you probably shoot for a contention window of 2019-20, 2020-2021. Thoughts?

Just one, on the fly...

On picks being dealt...

I am strongly opposed to allowing picks to be dealt more than three years out.

A GM could empty the draft pick cupboard and move on.

2024 picks dealt in 2018? Should not be allowed.

Solid overview.

houndtastic

Apr 16, 2016
Just one, on the fly...

On picks being dealt...

I am strongly opposed to allowing picks to be dealt more than three years out.

A GM could empty the draft pick cupboard and move on.

2024 picks dealt in 2018? Should not be allowed.

Solid overview.
I agree but unfortuneately its the way trade are going now a days with only being able to trade 1st round players from the year before and cant trade your future 1st round picks 2nd round picks is the best scenario for teams to build for the future. So unless ohl lets you trade any of your prospects or lets you trade 1st picks then this is the way it will continue.

thetank247

Oct 18, 2017
I think draft picks should only be allowed to be traded as far into the future as the potential player being traded for can play example. If a player can play another 2 years in the league than the traded player can only play 2 more years. This trading an overage for a draft pick 10 years down the road is ridiculous. It has no bearing on that team the oa is long gone.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015

1. Frost
  2. Johnson
  3. Sambrook
  4. DeMeo
  5. Hollowell
  6. Howdeshell

Demeo - Hollowell
Sandin - Sambrook
Wale - LeGuerrier

Calisti - Caron
O'Rourke

Up front definitely has more room for rookies to step in, but returns a good chunk of the roster. Interesting to follow would be trying to pry John Beecher / Cole Caufield / Drew DeRidder away from any commitments in the USA. Roughing players in, it looks like we return:

Trott - Hayton - Roth

The problem next year is depending on how the west falls, I could very realistically see us challenging for or winning the division again next year. I'd definitely look to move players who will not return the year after regardless of our position for young players and picks. The picks from the Raddysh trade hurt, but they'll be easy to get back. The problem begins if we're unable to do so. I think you probably shoot for a contention window of 2019-20, 2020-2021. Thoughts?

I can’t see Gettinger or Kopacka returning as they’re signed and can play at the AHL level.
Sambrook is interesting because I’m not sure he’s quite good enough and I think he could really use another year in he CHL being a more dominant Dman.
Hollowell can also play in the AHL however he isn’t signed or drafted, so we’ll have to wait and see. Should he get signed I think he would be gone.

Who knows on Sandin and Kupari, we won’t know for a while.

My opinion is that they build around Barrett Hayton and ship out everyone older than him (1999 born and older).

Reactions: PuckLife

DavelPatsyuk

Feb 26, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I can’t see Gettinger or Kopacka returning as they’re signed and can play at the AHL level.
Sambrook is interesting because I’m not sure he’s quite good enough and I think he could really use another year in he CHL being a more dominant Dman.
Hollowell can also play in the AHL however he isn’t signed or drafted, so we’ll have to wait and see. Should he get signed I think he would be gone.

Who knows on Sandin and Kupari, we won’t know for a while.

My opinion is that they build around Barrett Hayton and ship out everyone older than him (1999 born and older).

It may not have come across in my post, but this is what I want to see happen. There's just too many moving pieces to get any kind of feel for this roster quite yet. I will say, I'd expect Sandin to remain with us as desired by his prospective NHL team. Wouldn't be surprised if Kupari ends up in the same situation. Wait and see at this point, evaluate at camp.

DavelPatsyuk

Feb 26, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I agree.

The only thing that got him riled, and the hockey world as well (our little hockey world;) ) was the over the top celebrations in a lopsided game (especially after the Howdeschell goal).
The goals themselves? As you said.

I tried to stay out of these conversations during the playoffs, because it all got heated quickly (few fans making fools out of all of us). But as mentioned earlier if the game is going to move away from fighting, you have to invite this skill. Something has to make the game exciting.

I absolutely understand why it bothered a few people, but at the same time step in their shoes. You score that goal on national TV you're going to celebrate, regardless of the score. Was that arrogance ultimately part of our undoing? Probably. But in the moment I didn't really have any issues with it as a hockey fan. I just enjoy seeing that kind of skill regardless of who is displaying it. The fact that Don largely remained radio silent as the playoffs played out and we lost, says about all that needs to be said about it.

But holy crap next year needs to start already haha, the offseason is hardly a week old and it's already killing me not making weekly trips to the Gardens.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
I tried to stay out of these conversations during the playoffs, because it all got heated quickly (few fans making fools out of all of us). But as mentioned earlier if the game is going to move away from fighting, you have to invite this skill. Something has to make the game exciting.

I absolutely understand why it bothered a few people, but at the same time step in their shoes. You score that goal on national TV you're going to celebrate, regardless of the score. Was that arrogance ultimately part of our undoing? Probably. But in the moment I didn't really have any issues with it as a hockey fan. I just enjoy seeing that kind of skill regardless of who is displaying it. The fact that Don largely remained radio silent as the playoffs played out and we lost, says about all that needs to be said about it.

But holy crap next year needs to start already haha, the offseason is hardly a week old and it's already killing me not making weekly trips to the Gardens.

The celebrating wasn't the issue.

The style of the goals and the scoreboard ticked him off.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
About 6:15 mark Don Cherry just couldn’t leave it alone.

And Katchouk just couldn't resist. Truth be told, during the series vs Kitchener, I don't remember seeing any of the hotdogging that went on in the Saginaw game.

I thought they had it out of their system. Almost all of them did.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Don Cherry shows a clip like that and says canadians aren't like that but the guy is a xenophobe? It's unfortunate that Cherry still has a soapbox. That goal put the Soo up 2-0 and I doubt the reason Hamilton came back is because of what Katchouk did. Maybe it had more to do with random things like the Soo missing a breakaway to go up 3-0 and Hamilton went right back and made it 2-1 and the game went on after that. Cherry loves the soapbox and narratives instead he should actually watch the game.

Reactions: staubitz

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Don Cherry shows a clip like that and says canadians aren't like that but the guy is a xenophobe? It's unfortunate that Cherry still has a soapbox. That goal put the Soo up 2-0 and I doubt the reason Hamilton came back is because of what Katchouk did. Maybe it had more to do with random things like the Soo missing a breakaway to go up 3-0 and Hamilton went right back and made it 2-1 and the game went on after that. Cherry loves the soapbox and narratives instead he should actually watch the game.

It gets old.

Hounds had to win it all or else he's right and the team is somehow wrong.

He's selective when choosing his rant targets and won't dare roast what's dear to him, even if deserved.

Hockey Gods? Karma? Yep, as real as the Great Pumpkin and as active as a Loser's Curse.

I hereby nominate Kyle Dubas to explain the link between analytics and the wants and whims of the hockey gods.

To quote Chuck Brown, good grief.

Reactions: staubitz

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It gets old.

Hounds had to win it all or else he's right and the team is somehow wrong.

He's selective when choosing his rant targets and won't dare roast what's dear to him, even if deserved.

Hockey Gods? Karma? Yep, as real as the Great Pumpkin and as active as a Loser's Curse.

I hereby nominate Kyle Dubas to explain the link between analytics and the wants and whims of the hockey gods.

To quote Chuck Brown, good grief.

Personally, I am a superstitious sort. So I do believe in karma from time to time. However I'm not really so sure that this can be considered karma coming back to bite the Soo.

Had they lost in the second round to Owen Sound then I may point to karma. But the Soo not winning the championship was simply a product of their having to go through two very tough, physical series versus Owen Sound and then Kitchener. By the time they got to the final, being battered and bruised and worn down, they were simply no match for Hamilton who had a much easier road to the finals.

As a Ranger fan, all I asked for going into a series versus the Soo, was that we had at least the same rest as them going in. That happened and it turned out to be a very good series. I wonder how the finals would've turned out had Hamilton just as tough a road to the finals as the Soo did.

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
I personally think Cherry should have left it alone. Cherry does not mention Smith doing the same thing twice in Sarina during Game 6 or Stanley yelling at the Guelph Fans during the first round. I am saying this as a Ranger fan; enough is enough.

Reactions: soo hound girl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad