Soo Greyhounds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Congratulations, Soo Greyhounds fans, on a phenomenal season .

A very entertaining season by the best team in Canada.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
View attachment 120921

Puck never left the zone after Stillman's offside went undetected. Seconds later, Thomas scores on the wrap around.

Did they review this, or were they too busy high 5'n it?
There's always that one guy hours after the game who goes through the footage to find a few seconds were they can put blame on something to help them sleep at night. You can't take away from what the Bulldogs have done now and you won't ever be able to. They were the better team but with the fans like you who have had their heads up in the clouds throughout the season, you won't realize it. Hard work and great moves by the guys up top made this possible for Hamilton and some stupid comment like that won't ever take away from what they've accomplished. Nice try though, can't say I didn't expect it from ya

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Sorry but, LOL.

With 5 minutes to Katchouk was tripped, sent flying into the Fulcher. Another critical miss.

There were calls missed both ways, but im talking about blatant infractions.

Sometimes, a team gets screwed.

The video does not lie.

Did you miss Noah Carroll repeatedly crosscheckkng Nicolas Caamano even once he was laying crumbled on the ice? To me, that was the most vicious part of that scrum.

Hamilton was the better team. Soo was lucky to get past Kitchener. No doubt Soo was an excellent team but their timing of peak play didn’t work out.

Attacker54

Apr 16, 2018
At least review it.

The most unbelievable play was Sambrook getting WWF'd, and Hamilton gets an empty net goal instead of a penalty.

Nothing can be said here that live television didn't already illustrate. Bizarre non-call.

Hounds would have had a power play with 1:58 to go. Critical error.

A very similar play happened to OS with a minute or so left to play in game 7 when Durzi was hauled down by Raddysh who put it into the open net. Unfortunate, but it’s karma.

Reactions: randomhero4life

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London
A very similar play happened to OS with a minute or so left to play in game 7 when Durzi was hauled down by Raddysh who put it into the open net. Unfortunate, but it’s karma.
You all could quit with this karma if you believe in karma then you have issues you cannot play two lines in the playoffs he was outcoached

louis

Apr 3, 2014
So on to our post season discussion. We have 6 fabulous rookies who will be returning, one major steal for a draft pick, and a solid core of "older" guys. Looking not bad, I think. Your opinions, hounds fans?

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
So on to our post season discussion. We have 6 fabulous rookies who will be returning, one major steal for a draft pick, and a solid core of "older" guys. Looking not bad, I think. Your opinions, hounds fans?

See how things shake out, but likely it's going to make sense to make deadline deals, moving some veteran assets.

Hayton stays. Gets my vote for captain.

Should be a decent club out of the gate.

Contend? Possible, but not likely.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Bingo.

Love these Knights jokers suggesting we not talk about the incredible, critical missed calls, because, well, you know, if the same things happened to their team, they'd just let it slide.

I've never blamed officiating for a lost game or series.
Is what it is, ya gotta play thru it.

Joker? OK if it makes ya fell better to to do that and insinuate Id respond to a loss like you do....Doesn't happen you are incorrect.
Officiating at this level is inconsistent.
But it was not the reason SSM lost.
Like mentioned by tsn radio, not a single media member ( both SSM and Ham) agreed that Soo should have been on a PP to take the late 2nd period lead.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
I've never blamed officiating for a lost game or series.
Is what it is, ya gotta play thru it.

Joker? OK if it makes ya fell better to to do that and insinuate Id respond to a loss like you do....Doesn't happen you are incorrect.
Officiating at this level is inconsistent.
But it was not the reason SSM lost. Like mentioned by tsn radio, not a single media member ( both SSM and Ham) agreed that Soo should have been on a PP to take the late 2nd period lead.
A lead they couldn't hold onto in the 3rd.
SSM had a very good season.

We know the team had a great season and we know they blew a lead after 40.

Those are as obvious as the need to call a penalty on the empty netter.

Play through it? LOL. Down one, two minutes to go and there's a play like that puts a team down two instead of being on the power play? I actually laughed out loud at the suggestion.

Never said it's the reason the Hounds lost. I tackled some of that in about seven other posts.

But the non-call on the empty net was ridiculous, a penalty 99 times out of 100, the lone outlier occurring yesterday. It would be Top 5 selection on any Can't Believe They Didn't Call It poll, all time.

Last edited:

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Vets will have to be traded to recoup draft picks. I see both Frost and Vilalta gone at the deadline. Having said that, we should compete again for the division title. Sarnia will be worse, Windsor should be better but not quite as good, I see Flint improving as well as Saginaw but at the end of the day I think we still have the better team, even after trades.

Reactions: staubitz

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Who's the goalie of The Future?

Wondering...

It might well be Villalta.

If not, is there a previous draft pick of immense promise, or will it be a 2019 pick or trade acquisition?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Frost, Hayton are the best 1-2 punch in the league returning next year. After the NHL draft we may be able to get Sandin to return and possibly have Kupari report. Villata will return, along with Howdeshell and Roth. Thats a solid squad... id be surprised if we werent top 3 or 4 in the conference and potentially league. Long ways away to start worrying about selling off assets when we could possibly be a contender again.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Frost, Hayton are the best 1-2 punch in the league returning next year. After the NHL draft we may be able to get Sandin to return and possibly have Kupari report. Villata will return, along with Howdeshell and Roth. Thats a solid squad... id be surprised if we werent top 3 or 4 in the conference and potentially league. Long ways away to start worrying about selling off assets when we could possibly be a contender again.

Hearing No on Kupari for next season.

Sure could have used him this season.

Played the championship series with one OA.

Ya never have enough depth.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Kupari and Sandin decisions im assuming will be heavily influenced by the NHL teams that draft them.

Which provides some hope, I guess, but hearing from the inside that w/ Kupari it's going to be a No. i didn't ask "Why?"

If...it were to be a Yes, it would have a major and positive impact on aspirations for next season.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Here’s my opinion for the off-season and what to expect, starting with the lineup;

?-Frost-Roth
Howdeshell-Hayton-Jacklin
Trott-Carroll-MacKay
?-?-?

DeMeo-LeGuerrier
Wale-Caron
?-?

Villalta
?

Add in some draft picks and I don’t see enough for another run. 2017-2018 was all or nothing. Should Sandin AND Kupari come play here next year then things get interesting. IF they BOTH showed up you’d still have to shop for a right handed #1 D and some depth up front, which is gonna cost any picks we have left, not ideal.

I can’t see Johnson returning as an OA after a mediocre year and the fact that we had 2 young tenders that did really well in camp last year.
Timmins and Hollowell got screwed by the OHL/NHL draft dates and since they’re both OAs they will most likely play in the AHL next season (unless Hollowell doesn’t get signed but I’ll leave that at .5% chance).

My opinion is you’ll see Frost and Villalta (possibly DeMeo and Howdeshell as well) moved as 19 year olds (and OA) for picks and 2000-2002 players. That’ll establish a good core with the rest to try to see if there’s enough for a run in 2019-2020.

Also, the team that’s going to have the biggest improvement in general from this season to next season, Saginaw Spirit.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Did you miss Noah Carroll repeatedly crosscheckkng Nicolas Caamano even once he was laying crumbled on the ice? To me, that was the most vicious part of that scrum.

Hamilton was the better team. Soo was lucky to get past Kitchener. No doubt Soo was an excellent team but their timing of peak play didn’t work out.

The Soo were also lucky to get past OS. If the Attack would have had decent goaltending, the Soo may not have gotten past the second round.

Reactions: K2

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I didn't like the raddysh trade from the start . I wanted Cole Sherwood , and Nicholas Hague and Giviani Smith . I mean why not we traded 9 draft choices and a player. Would have had grit and scoring . Also I remember reading or seeing a piece on Raftis saying this style of play is an experiment in the playoffs . To see if this kind of play could actually make it all the way to the memo cup. Anyways till next season.

Good points. The Soo were already a highly offensive team. It's the lack of grit they should have addressed at the deadline. Sherwood and Smith were monster playoff players for the Rangers.

Imagine that Soo team with those two instead of Raddysh?

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
The Soo were also lucky to get past OS. If the Attack would have had decent goaltending, the Soo may not have gotten past the second round.

Kitchener was lucky the series went seven.

If the Sault had got better goaltending, it might have been over in 5.

Playing the if game? Goes both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad