Sony PS5 2

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Classic HFBoards jinx. ;)
The fact is, the numbers have slowed for Game Pass and this is a way to help gain some revenue back. While it may not be day 1, the fact that these games, which were touted as Xbox exclusive (console exclusives) and PC shows that they will do more of these in the future. It could be 2025 by the time PS5 sees Starfield, but the thing is, the winds are changing and MS needs to find more outlets for money, but at the same time, not forsake or leave behind their current userbase.

So while the news with this felt more like damage control (control the messaging was probably priority number 1), it's still a massive change. The last time we've seen something like this, albeit this is a much slower process, was with Sega and the Dreamcast. Not saying MS is getting out of the console making business, but they sure as hell are trying to maximize profits while also making sure their userbase doesn't leave them.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The fact is, the numbers have slowed for Game Pass and this is a way to help gain some revenue back. While it may not be day 1, the fact that these games, which were touted as Xbox exclusive (console exclusives) and PC shows that they will do more of these in the future. It could be 2025 by the time PS5 sees Starfield, but the thing is, the winds are changing and MS needs to find more outlets for money, but at the same time, not forsake or leave behind their current userbase.

So while the news with this felt more like damage control (control the messaging was probably priority number 1), it's still a massive change. The last time we've seen something like this, albeit this is a much slower process, was with Sega and the Dreamcast. Not saying MS is getting out of the console making business, but they sure as hell are trying to maximize profits while also making sure their userbase doesn't leave them.
Yeah, if you look at what Phil said to The Verge, he left the door open for both Starfield and Indiana Jones. View this as a trial run. Similar to Sony testing out HZD and Days Gone on PC, or MS saying back in 2017 or so they wouldn't go day and date on PC.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah, if you look at what Phil said to The Verge, he left the door open for both Starfield and Indiana Jones. View this as a trial run. Similar to Sony testing out HZD and Days Gone on PC, or MS saying back in 2017 or so they wouldn't go day and date on PC.
Not really, it's very vague:

But I don’t want to create a false expectation on those other platforms that this is somehow the first four to get over the dam and then the dam’s going to open and that everything else is coming, that’s not the plan today. I also don’t want to mislead customers on those other platforms.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The door is open because while being vague, the door is clearly not closed. A closed door would say "no more games are coming to other consoles." Yes, it's vague, but knowing how they are with this, things will be re-evaluated in the future as to what they'd do.

I honestly think this is down to the number of GP users not exactly going up. It went from 25M to 34M, but that 25M was before Xbox Live Gold got turned into GP Core (where 34M includes Core). So yes, you're right that it's not specifically saying those games, but he clearly isn't closing the door to these possibilities either.

I do think, in the end, it may similar to the current PS strategy with PC. First party games come out 18 to 24 months after initial release on a PS system. It could be similar outlook for Xbox games. We'll wait and see at this point, but if anything, there is no finalization in terms of the current strategy, because it could clearly change.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So, he left the door open? Like I said?

I highly doubt they are just going to launch these 4 games on PS5, and then decide not to port others. Unless MS figures out a way to massively grow Gamepass without having people on Series consoles. What the next round of games being ported is anyones guess. But, Starfield and Indy are the ones that will move numbers, and Halo: Infinite would help a live service game. This was pushed up for damage control.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So, he left the door open? Like I said?

I highly doubt they are just going to launch these 4 games on PS5, and then decide not to port others. Unless MS figures out a way to massively grow Gamepass without having people on Series consoles. What the next round of games being ported is anyones guess. But, Starfield and Indy are the ones that will move numbers, and Halo: Infinite would help a live service game. This was pushed up for damage control.
This is just in general, but once they put CoD games in there, that number is going up. I've heard just from a couple of people on my friends list that they're holding up on re-upping Ultimate Games Pass (they've got Gold/Core codes in store so they can get the full two years), until they add them there. They play the new CoD games but don't want to pay for them anymore.

I can see them adding more older live service/small studio Game Pass releases down the line but keeping the bigger ones exclusive. Another friend who is playing on the Series S, is waiting for a Indiana Jones Series X bundle later this year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is just in general, but once they put CoD games in there, that number is going up. I've heard just from a couple of people on my friends list that they're holding up on re-upping Ultimate Games Pass (they've got Gold/Core codes in store so they can get the full two years), until they add them there. They play the new CoD games but don't want to pay for them anymore.

I can see them adding more older live service/small studio Game Pass releases down the line but keeping the bigger ones exclusive. Another friend who is playing on the Series S, is waiting for a Indiana Jones Series X bundle later this year.
They are still so dramatically far off from their internal goal of 100m by 2030, and growth over the past 3 years has been minimal to the extent they inflated the growth by renaming Gold to Gamepass Core. The bulk of Gamepass users come from console owners, and Series consoles sales have been heading in a terrible direction.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I got a Backbone for my Galaxy S23 last week and got around to trying Remote Play with Infinite Wealth and I thought it went well! Of course, it's a JRPG so things like lag wouldn't have mattered much, but there wasn't much lag anyway. It was difficult to bring up the map that's tied to the TouchPad button, maybe I just need more practice?

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
So I have had heating issues with my PS5 for the last couple of months. It started back in January when I would start playing a game, then suddenly the console would go from quiet to the fan going into overdrive for a few seconds. I would get a warning on my screen saying the console was overheating and that I should turn it. But then my fan would return to its normal speed. Out of an overabundance of caution, I would turn it off. Now it is a year old, and had been laying horizontal, but was stored inside of an open faced cubby on my entertainment stand. I took it out of the cubby and set up up top to try to allow for more airflow and I thought that had done the trick. However just the other night it happened again when my daughter and I tried to play a game together. But it seems odd how arbitrary it happens.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
So I have had heating issues with my PS5 for the last couple of months. It started back in January when I would start playing a game, then suddenly the console would go from quiet to the fan going into overdrive for a few seconds. I would get a warning on my screen saying the console was overheating and that I should turn it. But then my fan would return to its normal speed. Out of an overabundance of caution, I would turn it off. Now it is a year old, and had been laying horizontal, but was stored inside of an open faced cubby on my entertainment stand. I took it out of the cubby and set up up top to try to allow for more airflow and I thought that had done the trick. However just the other night it happened again when my daughter and I tried to play a game together. But it seems odd how arbitrary it happens.
I've had my PS5 horizontal in an open cubby for nearly 3 years and I don't think I've ever noticed the fan let alone got a warning message.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Tbh you should have returned it on the manufacturer warranty first time it happened.
I've had my PS5 horizontal in an open cubby for nearly 3 years and I don't think I've ever noticed the fan let alone got a warning message.
Depends what kind of cubby and tbh it partially depends on where you live in the world. Climate/humidity/dust/air pollution plays a part too. I’ve had multiple issues with storing other consoles in entertainment systems throughout my life. Never damaged them but always caused the fans to blare. Didn’t do it with the ps5 and other than a noisy disc drive it’s been fine.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Tbh you should have returned it on the manufacturer warranty first time it happened.
Depends what kind of cubby and tbh it partially depends on where you live in the world. Climate/humidity/dust/air pollution plays a part too. I’ve had multiple issues with storing other consoles in entertainment systems throughout my life. Never damaged them but always caused the fans to blare. Didn’t do it with the ps5 and other than a noisy disc drive it’s been fine.
it was just past the warranty when it started happening (bought in Dec 2022 and it started happening Jan 2024)

I never notice it either until those incidents. I have kept mine horizontal because I have read vertical systems tend to have more issues,

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
it was just past the warranty when it started happening (bought in Dec 2022 and it started happening Jan 2024)

I never notice it either until those incidents. I have kept mine horizontal because I have read vertical systems tend to have more issues,

mine has always been loud at certain points, I want to say on load screens, the fan is like a small jet taking off, but I have never had any issues with it overheating. I keep mine horizontal on the top of a tv stand, but I also got a set of "feet" for it that are like a pair of skis that lift it about 1-2 inches off the counter so maybe the airflow helps, I got them from Glistco

Reactions: robertmac43

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The disc drive can be extremely loud at times, the fan on the other hand is usually pleasantly quiet compared to PS4. Sometimes it's easy to notice though because of going on and off constantly, would be better if the fan was running smooth instead of turning off for 5 seconds.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
The disc drive can be extremely loud at times, the fan on the other hand is usually pleasantly quiet compared to PS4. Sometimes it's easy to notice though because of going on and off constantly, would be better if the fan was running smooth instead of turning off for 5 seconds.

Maybe it is the disc drive that makes all the noise, it never causes any issues so I never looked into it any further

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, the disc drive is loud as f***, especially at start up. I've only played a few games on disc and take it out whenever I'm playing digital games.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You guys have the disc drive? I have digital and never hear it
Yeah, I prefer physical copies and being able to easily borrow games between friends, and the 4k blu-ray player was a bonus. I'd also rather buy the games from my local independent store that's been around for 30 years and will sell me games as soon as they get them, plus are reliable for any repair issue (I had a power surge fry my powersupply on my PS5 18 months back). I'm all digital on PC obviously, and I rotate on my Switch. But, considering how many PS4 games I have physcial copies of, and the fact I'd rather support a local business than Sony, I was only going to buy physical.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Mine is a digital (because i couldn't get my hands on a disc drive). But I happened again after turning the console on from rest mode. I turned on the same game and about 5 minutes into the game the fan suddenly started to accelerate. This time however the system actually turned itself off after only flashing the heat warning. I took the covers off and there was very little dust on the fans or in the dust collectors. I just turned the console to performance setting from game default, but what I did notice is that this has only happened when playing PS5 games, Baldur's Gate in Januaray, and Bluey just this weekend.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I have the disc drive and have also had noise issues over the years. When i load into a new game it makes an aggressive noise. I've yet to have the warning though, so that is good!

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
mine has always been loud at certain points, I want to say on load screens, the fan is like a small jet taking off, but I have never had any issues with it overheating. I keep mine horizontal on the top of a tv stand, but I also got a set of "feet" for it that are like a pair of skis that lift it about 1-2 inches off the counter so maybe the airflow helps, I got them from Glistco

I had this for my PS4, and I have it for my PS5. Keeps the air moving, system stays cool, plus as long as you set your PS power settings to stay on for accessories, it will run for a couple of hours for extra cooling+charging controllers

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I think I figured out my overheating issue. I opened it up to do a deep clean of the PSU and all the heat sinks and found that the liquid metal used for the APU had pooled to one side. So after spreading it back over the whole chip, it seems to be running fine. Only time will tell, but it is not crashing after 5 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad