Sony PS4 #10: The Return of the Ugly Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
See my posts above. 2017 killed me as a MS only console owner. The exclusives have just fallen off the map. Im buying a PS4.

The last PS I owned was PS2. Time to go back
Yea probably a good call. Buying an Xbox one is just a bad investment at this point. Last gen me and my friends were all Xbox, and I switched to ps4 this gen and they were all complaining what a bad decision that was.. Looks like I'll take the W on this one. I really want MS to release solid games since I have a PC and can play them on there but man it's not even close.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The fat ps3 was so awful. It broke down just as much as the 360 and when I sent mine in for repairs, they didnt even repair it, they just sent back a newer non BC ps3 instead. I didn't necessarily care about BC but it was just a sneaky move.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
God of War is getting insane reviews.

I haven't played much of the series, but I'm thinking I may have to snag a copy at some point...

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I also played the first and then didn't go back. I enjoyed the first, I don't know why I never picked up the others. Mythology just isn't for me really, but the combat system in the the first game was actually pretty fun from what I remember.

I'll pick this one up eventually, but not right away. I just have so many other games I want to play that paying $60 for something I don't absolutely need to own(like MLB the Show) just doesn't make sense for.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
With God of War, Red Dead 2, and Spider-Man coming this year, I am going to be buying a PS4 at some point.

Will probably wait to see if they release a cool Spider-Man bundle.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
The most interesting things MS has had over the last few years have been indie games. Inside (not exclusive anymore), Ori, and Cuphead. In terms of big exclusives they've just been making bad bets. Scalebound got cancelled. Crackdown 3 has been in development hell. Sea of Thieves turned out poorly. PUBG was the biggest thing ever, but then as soon as Microsoft invested in it Fortnite started to eat its lunch. They've got Forza, Gears, and Halo, as usual, but those aren't as big as they used to be. They doubled down on hardware because they heard the narrative about how the PS4 was the stronger console for a few years there but I don't think the One X or the Pro have been supported well enough to get anybody to switch just so they can get a higher resolution for multiplatform games.

Meanwhile almost everything Sony does is working out. They're letting their studios do new stuff instead of just having the Killzone team make another Killzone, or just making another formulaic God of War, and it's usually working out for them. Plus they're getting some of the best 3rd party support out of Japan they've ever had, which MS still isn't investing in because they probably know they're never going to get that market anyways.
Microsoft bet the farm on "brogaming" and coasting on existing franchises. The couple of new franchises they put money into have largely been disappointments. Titanfall being the biggest example. Huge marketing splash, tons of money dropped to make to exclusive. Seems like everyone played it for about a week or two, and that was about it.

They also completely misread the market with their initial plan to let gaming take a back seat to media and streaming. Sony beat them to that punch in the PS3, and it seemed like MS was determined to not let that happen twice. Problem was, an all-purpose media center might have been exciting in 2007, but by the time the Xbone came out, every device in the house could stream Netflix already, and their target demographic couldn't care less about having a new central interface for their cable/satellite service. Because everyone was already in the process of dumping cable. Meanwhile, Sony doubled down on games for the PS4.

It's also why I think the 4K Blu-ray player for the 1X is just not that compelling. Everyone was saying that Sony was making a huge mistake by not putting one into the PS4 Pro, but I think they were reading the landscape better. The market is already largely moving toward non-physical media for almost everything, including 4K. Millennials and Gen Y don't like physical media. 4K Blu-ray is great for home theater enthusiasts, but it's not likely to become a household item like Blu-ray did.

It's sad about Kinect, honestly. It's a pretty awesome technology, and it's too bad it's seemingly getting abandoned. Forcing it on people, and jacking the price way up to support it, was a huge mistake. Sony played that game last gen with Blu-ray, but they were willing to take the hit to kill HD-DVD, and it worked.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don't forget VR this generation. Sony once again stomped Microsoft in that regard.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think I might trade in my 500gb PS4 Slim and get the PS4 Pro God of War special edition system. I can upgrade to the Pro for when I get around to playing Horizon Zero Dawn and Evil Within 2 (among others), as well as God of War, and basically get God of War for free.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If I buy a game on the PS Store that says it's a PS3 title, specifically I'm looking at Red Dead Redemption, can I play it on my PS4?

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
If I buy a game on the PS Store that says it's a PS3 title, specifically I'm looking at Red Dead Redemption, can I play it on my PS4?
Sadly you can't.

Backwards compatibility is something that is missing from the PS4. I too would love to play Red Dead Redemption again - all my PS3's are broken already, but I own the physical copy.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Lots of perfect or almost perfect scores. I'm curious to see what makes it so innovative because the gameplay looks very similar to hellblade, even the kid warning you about attacks from behind is very reminiscent of hellblade.

I'm thinking they really wowed with the story and the reviewers didn't want to spoil it.
I was wondering the same thing after I saw the reviews. To people who have played the past games, how is the combat/gameplay? I really don't care about story for 95% of games.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I liked (and still have) my (broken) fat PS3. Every version of the PS3 was ugly, that was at least imposing.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Annnnnnd another remaster. Can probably thank the Switch for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad