Sony PS4 #10: The Return of the Ugly Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm almost happy that I'm so furious at the Pittsburgh Pirates that I'm basically indifferent to The Show for the first time in eons considering how stacked these next couple weeks are going to be.

C'mon Ni No Twonie...I feel weird being this hyped about a game considering I only put in about 5 hours with the original (blame the absurdity of 2013's release schedule & it being the only game I have 'stuck' on PS3).

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Friend of mine and I were just going through nostalgia and talking about that old PS2 game Champions we played in highschool. Anyone know if it's possible to play that still couch co-op without buying an old console? PS3 or PS4? Backwards compat? Not sure how that works with Sony these days.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Playstation Store has Easter sales currently. Finally Nier: Automata is in sale... I've waited 4 months to buy it.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Friend of mine and I were just going through nostalgia and talking about that old PS2 game Champions we played in highschool. Anyone know if it's possible to play that still couch co-op without buying an old console? PS3 or PS4? Backwards compat? Not sure how that works with Sony these days.

Your timing couldn't be better as A Way Out was released today. I know little of the game, but it was an E3 darling last year and is getting solid reviews as a co-op only game. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons seems to be the best game designed around co-op of the generation. Portal 2 also had a pretty great co-op mode.

Options are rare as the big games don't do it anymore, but there's room in the indie space for co-op centric games (even if they're published by EA under their EA Originals program, as A Way Out is).

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I'm almost happy that I'm so furious at the Pittsburgh Pirates that I'm basically indifferent to The Show for the first time in eons considering how stacked these next couple weeks are going to be.

C'mon Ni No Twonie...I feel weird being this hyped about a game considering I only put in about 5 hours with the original (blame the absurdity of 2013's release schedule & it being the only game I have 'stuck' on PS3).

Reviews coming in and they are coming in very high. Metacritic 85 at the moment. Gameplay is between 35 hrs (storyline and devloping kingdom) to a 100% completion being around 70 hours.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Reviews coming in and they are coming in very high. Metacritic 85 at the moment. Gameplay is between 35 hrs (storyline and devloping kingdom) to a 100% completion being around 70 hours.

So...80 hours for me to still fall 10 trophies short somehow, perfect :laugh:

The kingdom building aspect is honestly what shot this game from 'I'll get around to playing it in the summer probably' to '**** it, I'm ordering the $200 version'. That was how I got into the Suikoden series the first time around, and given that's a Konami series I'm not holding my breath on ever getting another one.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Playstation Store has Easter sales currently. Finally Nier: Automata is in sale... I've waited 4 months to buy it.
I looked through the listed games and it was pretty meh. A couple games that I've already bought on previous sales.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Quick but kinda dumb question. I am not huge into headsets/headphones so I just need some quick advice/clarification. I have always rocked wired headphones with no mic.

I was looking for a cheap headset for my kid. I came across the Turtle Beach i30 Bluetooth headset.

From what I have read the will not sync with the PS4 but you can play them wired to the controller with the 3.5 that comes with them.

My question is do they have to be powered on to use the 3.5? I am assuming that the mic and and sound will work if the unit is not powered on like any other wired headset but the Bluetooth and noise canceling etc will not.

I am just asking this as it is a discontinued item and there are multiple complaints on amazon for the battery not taking charge etc.

I don't care about the Bluetooth function at all or noise canceling.

at 24.99 at walmart it sounds like a good deal for the quality you are getting as long as the mic and speakers fire when connected with the 3.5 and with the unit powered off.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Beach-i30-Bluetooth-Noise-Canceling-Headset-TBS-7010-01/43341147

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Been looking at Ni No Kuni 2, and it looks really fun. I might buy it on steam and then play with a controller. I haven't played many JRPGs or the first game, so still not sure on it. I usually avoid JRPGs because lots of them have the turn based combat which I don't really like, but this has action combat which looks great.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Ni no 2ni seems like it's reviewing higher than I thought it would. I didn't finish the first one because I kinda thought the combat just felt like a worse version of Tales combat, but I guess I'll have to look into it and see if they made any changes there.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
So you could have ended up with 2 different 20% off coupons from the PS Store this week and I wasn't able to get a damn one of them :laugh: :cry:
One from the weekly email and then watching that video from live.playstation.com

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ni no 2ni seems like it's reviewing higher than I thought it would. I didn't finish the first one because I kinda thought the combat just felt like a worse version of Tales combat, but I guess I'll have to look into it and see if they made any changes there.

Love the first one and just got 2. The battle system has been completely redesigned for the better. Much deeper. Game keeps all the charms.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Want to get Ni no 2 since I adored the first one, but I haven't even started Persona 5 yet, what to dooooooooo

Yeahhhhh Persona is going to be a good 60+ hours of your time and I heard NnK2 can be 30-40 and even more if you do more side stuff and building.

I have stopped P5 for now. Castle I am currently on is pretty tough and just needed a break.

I was on the fence about NnK2 as I played the first one and didn't finish it. But watching reviews saying they revamped the combat to be more like the Tales series got me thinking about it. Heard it is way too easy though and no difficulty modifier.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
The combat is totally different this time around in Ni No Kuni II.
And yes, it's pretty easy combat wise and there is a lot less of the dialogue being acted out than from the first.
It's still really good though.
Although it will take me some time to beat the game as I plan on getting every trophy and then waiting around for the extra story chapters from the season pass.

I generally don't buy a season pass as I feel like its generally a ripoff for most games, but I have a profound love for the first Ni No Kuni so I decided to get it.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Yeahhhhh Persona is going to be a good 60+ hours of your time and I heard NnK2 can be 30-40 and even more if you do more side stuff and building.

I have stopped P5 for now. Castle I am currently on is pretty tough and just needed a break.

I was on the fence about NnK2 as I played the first one and didn't finish it. But watching reviews saying they revamped the combat to be more like the Tales series got me thinking about it. Heard it is way too easy though and no difficulty modifier.

My thinking is that it'll take me a few months to beat P5, I don't get to play that often, and once I beat it Ni no 2 would be on sale, I remember Sony dropped the price of the first one rather quickly

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Making games with Disney properties much be such horseshit. Marvel and Star Wars make so much money so you pretty much have to, but then the games end up being shitty because you've got Disney over your shoulder the whole time.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I have zero love for more action-y battle systems in JRPGs, but Ni No Kuni 2's has worked for me so far. I could handle this trade-off considering I seem to be in the extreme minority in loving turn-based systems (be it Suikoden or XCOM).

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
And a second PS4 controller bites the dust thanks to being unable to hold a charge, remaining the only controllers I've had fail/break on me since the days of Nyko-branded SNES controllers.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I' not sure where the "too easy" narrative comes from for Ni No Kuni 2. I mean, sure, if you grind it' going to become easy, and the Kingdom building gives you another way to grind, but I've been keeping up on that stuff and still had to bail on the first chapter 6 dungeon because monsters were inflicting way too much damage on my guys, despite my lowest level character being 5 levels ahead of the recommended level. I do play as the lowest levees character at all times so maybe that's part of it, but I think people are more mad there' just not a "hard mode" available (yet)

I mean, I think NNK2 on normal is already harder than say Odin Sphere on hard.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
And a second PS4 controller bites the dust thanks to being unable to hold a charge, remaining the only controllers I've had fail/break on me since the days of Nyko-branded SNES controllers.
Really weird. I still have the original I got when the got the system. Other than the R3 being worn down I have had no issues. Bought another one a year ago and that one is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad