Sony PS4 #10: The Return of the Ugly Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Why does a 4 GB game update require me to clear out my storage past 20 GBs free? I had to delete a whole 40 GB game and only then would it let me download the update sitting at 60 GB free
My guess is that the PS4 for whatever reason ties the update file to the actual game file size (based on how the Driveclub patches were downloaded, it didn't download from zero to the patch size amount, it started from the old game file size and added on to it, that is the only game I've seen do it though so idk if there's a connection to be found or not) and since most games are 20GB at the very least these days (indie titles are the exception), it's a bad combination unless you have the 1TB version or/and have updated the hardrive on your own.

PS3 was (and still is I guess, don't see why they would've bothered to change it at this point) that you needed the room to download and install a game/patch, so you always needed double the room of the download size.

Reactions: Novacane

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Kind of annoying, but as long as its not an online game, you can play without the update and let it update when its in sleep mode (Its not going to download at a reasonable speed otherwise)

They definitely dropped the ball on updates this gen for sure
My guess is that the PS4 for whatever reason ties the update file to the actual game file size (based on how the Driveclub patches were downloaded, it didn't download from zero to the patch size amount, it started from the old game file size and added on to it, that is the only game I've seen do it though so idk if there's a connection to be found or not) and since most games are 20GB at the very least these days (indie titles are the exception), it's a bad combination unless you have the 1TB version or/and have updated the hardrive on your own.

PS3 was (and still is I guess, don't see why they would've bothered to change it at this point) that you needed the room to download and install a game/patch, so you always needed double the room of the download size.
It was Fortnite which I think has like a 12 GB full game download? I’m not entirely sure. I just don’t understand why on earth you need to clean up so much space unless they’re trying to push out smaller hard drives

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Got Uncharted: The Lost Legacy around Black Friday and finally played it this week. Really enjoyable. Some great fun set pieces like the others, it's just a shorter Uncharted game.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I purchased and download Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5. I'm currently playing KH 1 Final Mix. I'm trying to get all the treasure chests at the "Neverland" Clocktower before going to "Hollow Bastion," because if you finish part one of "Hallow Bastion," the Clocktower will be inaccessible unless you beat the ultra-hard side boss "Phantom." Yeah, that's going to be a toughie.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I borrowed my buddy's copy of Persona 5 (and his PlayStation for that matter) after reading about it on here and other outlets, as well as watching some on Twitch. I've never played Persona before, outside of maybe half an hour of Persona 4 Golden on the Vita.

So far, I can see why people like it. I'm not usually a fan of anime nor JRPGs, but this one has my interest thus far. I love it when games mix life simulation in with the fantasy side of things.

My only complaint so far is that I lost a bunch of progress last night because I couldn't stay awake long enough to get to a save point. :laugh:

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My only complaint so far is that I lost a bunch of progress last night because I couldn't stay awake long enough to get to a save point. :laugh:
Yeah, I don't know why Japanese games for some reason have such an inability for free save points. Over the weekend, I had to play an additional 20 or so minutes since I was stuck in the Mementos and couldn't save until I was done. Coming over from Xbox will put you in a big shock concerning this as it has done with me.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

"Mr. Toriyama we need more female characters for our fighting game."
"Only if I get to make her a villain that absorbs people again."

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I borrowed my buddy's copy of Persona 5 (and his PlayStation for that matter) after reading about it on here and other outlets, as well as watching some on Twitch. I've never played Persona before, outside of maybe half an hour of Persona 4 Golden on the Vita.

So far, I can see why people like it. I'm not usually a fan of anime nor JRPGs, but this one has my interest thus far. I love it when games mix life simulation in with the fantasy side of things.

Okay, so I have officially transitioned to addicted to Persona 5. A game I initially dismissed as "not for me". There's probably a life lesson in there somewhere, but I'm way too lazy to find it.

Is it just me, or does this game really push you to keep playing?

So tired....:laugh:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Okay, so I have officially transitioned to addicted to Persona 5. A game I initially dismissed as "not for me". There's probably a life lesson in there somewhere, but I'm way too lazy to find it.

Is it just me, or does this game really push you to keep playing?

So tired....:laugh:
I just bought Persona 5 after seeing it on sale and the extra 10% off on the Playstation Store. I downloaded it, but had to go to the Blues game right after it finished, so I wasn't able to start it. Yesterday I sat down and tried to play it. I got to the opening cinematic and closed it lol. I know everyone says the game is awesome, and I do want to play it, but I just have absolutely no interest in anime or anything remotely related to it. I will try again tonight, but I can't shake the feeling that it's just not a game for me.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I just bought Persona 5 after seeing it on sale and the extra 10% off on the Playstation Store. I downloaded it, but had to go to the Blues game right after it finished, so I wasn't able to start it. Yesterday I sat down and tried to play it. I got to the opening cinematic and closed it lol. I know everyone says the game is awesome, and I do want to play it, but I just have absolutely no interest in anime or anything remotely related to it. I will try again tonight, but I can't shake the feeling that it's just not a game for me.

I had the same feeling at the beginning, honestly. I'm usually not one for anime or JRPGs at all.

I had to push through that feeling, but I'm loving it now. Weird as hell, but that also helps make it interesting.

It's also very directed at the beginning, and you're kind of along for the ride (which I honestly don't mind, it's almost a refreshing change from the billions of mediocre open world games :laugh:). It opens up a lot later.

It may not be for you, but I recommend you push through for a bit and re-evaluate. I'm not regretting it.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The combat is the thing that keeps me away. I want to know if the gameplay is actually fun. Cause it doesn’t look like I would enjoy that part

If it’s bad but you barely fight that’s fine 2

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
The combat is the thing that keeps me away. I want to know if the gameplay is actually fun. Cause it doesn’t look like I would enjoy that part

If it’s bad but you barely fight that’s fine 2

It's mostly your standard dungeon-crawling JRPG fare, albeit more stylized than most I've played (which is very few). Turn-based combat with physical and magical attacks, heals, buffs, debuffs, etc. with a random encounter element. There is an almost Pokemon-esque capture/weakness setup that I find fun.

The combat itself isn't my usual cup of tea, but I wouldn't say it's bad. However, what I really enjoy about the game are the blending of all the layers more than one specific element, if that makes sense. It's a bit of a grind, but the variation between the layers of fantasy and life keep it fresh IMO.

If you're not sure about the combat, I don't blame you. Maybe wait for a big sale.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I got turned off of JRPG's a long time ago. In fact a lot of games made in Japan are just too dang story-heavy for me. It's why I could never get into the MGS series and why Death Stranding doesn't even interest me right now. Were getting no gameplay for DS.... just cut scenes that are way too long. Maybe I am not "deep" or "artsy" enough I don't know. But just not my style I guess.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
MGSV the story kind of sucked, but the voice acting and long unbroken shots just captured my imagination. I was genuinely impressed and games don't do that to me a lot.

For instance I'm playing horizon zero dawn and I just notice so much that's taken from witcher 3 and assassin's Creed. Outside of the great graphics (and while they are great the poor contrast and shitty backlight on my tv isn't ever going to do a game like this justice) it's just too by the numbers. Nothing's changed since I played these types of games in my younger days. Don't get me wrong I like them but it's just all so familiar now.

Also I hate to say it but the exploration and climbing just feels archaic once you've played breath of the wild for even 5 minutes.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
MGSV the story kind of sucked, but the voice acting and long unbroken shots just captured my imagination. I was genuinely impressed and games don't do that to me a lot.

For instance I'm playing horizon zero dawn and I just notice so much that's taken from witcher 3 and assassin's Creed. Outside of the great graphics (and while they are great the poor contrast and ****ty backlight on my tv isn't ever going to do a game like this justice) it's just too by the numbers. Nothing's changed since I played these types of games in my younger days. Don't get me wrong I like them but it's just all so familiar now.

Also I hate to say it but the exploration and climbing just feels archaic once you've played breath of the wild for even 5 minutes.
BOTW and AC:O definitely did open world right where just about everything is climbable / accessible. Makes exploring so much fun. I agree Horizon was too "by the numbers" but it was engaging enough and original enough to hold my attention all the way through. I really enjoyed the different environments too. Game was beautiful as well. My biggest criticism for it would be that the intro was WAY too long. Need at least a good 1-2 hours before you are really "free"

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The graphics were great. The climbing was pretty awful. It had automatic jumps most of the time as well

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

For instance I'm playing horizon zero dawn and I just notice so much that's taken from witcher 3 and assassin's Creed. Outside of the great graphics (and while they are great the poor contrast and ****ty backlight on my tv isn't ever going to do a game like this justice) it's just too by the numbers. Nothing's changed since I played these types of games in my younger days. Don't get me wrong I like them but it's just all so familiar now.

I'm glad someone understands my dislike for Horizon. :laugh:

It gets major points for its visuals and premise, but game play is so very dry IMO.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
On the other hand Horizon was a top 5 game for me all time. I played that game so hard and much that I couldn’t put it down. Loved that damn game.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm glad someone understands my dislike for Horizon. :laugh:

It gets major points for its visuals and premise, but game play is so very dry IMO.

I do need to add, early in the game, there is a main story quest that requires you to cross essentially the entire games map. This is a really early quest so maybe it was to encourage exploration but that creates a huge pacing issue, which again is common in the open world games of yesteryear.

And I agree the combat is extremely bland at times. I have all the traps and the "disarm" perk to pick them back up ( which should not even be a perk), this makes the game a lot more fun as it allows you to take on way stronger enemies and mobs, but I still find that its too much trial and error because of how random some encounters are and the lack of quick saves (which somehow Zelda was able to implement yet no other open world game can)

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I do need to add, early in the game, there is a main story quest that requires you to cross essentially the entire games map. This is a really early quest so maybe it was to encourage exploration but that creates a huge pacing issue, which again is common in the open world games of yesteryear.

And I agree the combat is extremely bland at times. I have all the traps and the "disarm" perk to pick them back up ( which should not even be a perk), this makes the game a lot more fun as it allows you to take on way stronger enemies and mobs, but I still find that its too much trial and error because of how random some encounters are and the lack of quick saves (which somehow Zelda was able to implement yet no other open world game can)
I was wrong here, the enemies are handplaced, I still think theyre too difficult to handle effectively or smoothly with the tools youre given

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad