Some details on the NHL offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Isles72 said:
I agree , hopefully they can meet somewhere in the middle IF this type of system is agreed upon in principle .

I still say when all is said and done it'll be a 42-45 mil cap with no minimum required .Escalating taxes starting at 32 mil - 45 mil .

if teams cant survive under this , then move your team to a more lucrative market

Isn't that worse than the unlinked $42 million that they rejected? I am believing more and more that the biggest stumbling block to a deal will be Goodenow having to eventually swallow the same deal or worse and then having to justify to the players who lost a billion and a half dollars turning that unlinked $42 million dollar deal down last year. Or does anyone actually doubt that the eventually deal will be at best as good as and likely worse?

SPARTAKUS*

nyrmessier011 said:
This is just unbelievable to me if true. If this is accurate the NHL basically is regressing on there offer. I Still can't believe how you can be pro-owner. It's so funny how the NHL just finds different ways to represent 54% instead of negotiating.

There will be no 2005-06 season.
There will be no 2005-06 season.

There will be no 2006-07 season.

There will be no 2007-08 season.

There will be no 2008-09 season.

I am being enough pessimistic for you.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
How about we wait until someone even remotely neutral like Bob McKenzie writes about this? Brooks' articles are nothing but wasted of internet bandwidth, he's a known pro-PA shill who paints everything as anti-NHL & pro-PA.

mooseOAK*

How is it that Brooks has access to all this inside information? None of the more respected writers seem to like Red Fisher or Bob McKenzie nor even a former league guy like Burke. Odd.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
mooseOAK said:
How is it that Brooks has access to all this inside information? None of the more respected writers seem to like Red Fisher or Bob McKenzie nor even a former league guy like Burke. Odd.
because Brooks is as credible as Eklund

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
mooseOAK said:
Well that would depend on Brooks source I would suppose .. What if its someone like Mike Gartner for example from the NHLPA committee. He could be using Brooks (pro-PA) as the leak for the sympathy PR purposes .. Using Burke (pro-owner) or Mackenzie (neutral) does not serve its intended purpose does it .. ??

They would need to get their own sources within the meeting .. and who is to say they don't .. Burke often comes across on TSN during the panel discussions that he has an ear on the inside as does Mackenzie for that matter .. Just they choose what to release and not to ..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
e-townchamps said:
because Brooks is as credible as Eklund
Is Sportsnet really reporting much differnet then Brooks .. He just did a little math ..

From Sportsnet

NHL includes stiff luxury tax in latest proposal
After meeting for several hours again on Friday, the two sides hope to continue discussions next Tuesday.

Sportsnet.ca -- The National Hockey League tabled a proposal in Thursday's latest round of lockout negotiations with the Players' Associaton, sources told Rogers Sportsnet.

The proposal is believed to include a stiff luxury tax system, with a tax structure adjustable to accommodate the rate and threshold on how the proposed CBA would be working.

There is speculation among hockey circles of a dollar-for-dollar tax with revenue sharing among the NHL generated from this system.

The luxury tax would trigger a hard cap agreement that is expected to come in with a floor of $25-million and a ceiling below $35-million.

Full Article : http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050506_125209_5728
Bettman was quoted as saying average Salary at $ 1.3 mil in the New CBA is all the NHL can afford and linkage at 54%..

If you do the Math yourself just like Brooks did ( $1.3 mil X 22 Players) = $ 28.6 mil Hard Cap wanted by the NHL .. based on payroll tax fees to get up to $35 mil ceiling you would be facing penalties..

Brooks might know that actual penalties more then the dollar for dollar this article says here as they are escalating as reported the higher you go ..

So even at $1 .

Take $35 mil ceiling - $28 mil = $ 7 mil in penalties X 6 year CBA = $42 Mil in fines and penalties at dollar for dollar per team... but apparently the more teams that go to $35 mil the higher the penalties become..

So you can trust Brooks or not .. other articles support his article ..

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
all this for a few teams that shouldnt be in the NHL anyway... PA is not going to accept a cap below 40 million

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
nyrmessier011 said:
So what are you saying, that it's fair that the NHLPA should be forced to take this 54% garbage deal because the NHL claims it's going to get worse and is sticking by there guns (when in fact they could go to 58% and all 30 teams would still make there precious doe). If the NHL really cared about losing fans and the "pie getting smaller" they would negotiate off this number to get a freaking deal done.

He's not suggesting that the NHLPA is forced to do anything. They aren't. Just like the league is not forced to pay them over $1 million each on average. The league can just say goodbye to current players and start all over.

The former players, who I am sure have more PhD's to go around than you can shake a stick at, can then move on to another career. A career in which their physical prowess will be put to good use digging the ditch for my new Koi pond. On second thought, I'll dig the pond myself and put the savings towards an outdoor kitchen. Instead, they can go bag my groceries at the grocery store....the employees of these stores are unionized and overpaid out here.....they will fit in just fine!!!!!

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
craig1 said:
He's not suggesting that the NHLPA is forced to do anything. They aren't. Just like the league is not forced to pay them over $1 million each on average. The league can just say goodbye to current players and start all over.

The former players, who I am sure have more PhD's to go around than you can shake a stick at, can then move on to another career. A career in which their physical prowess will be put to good use digging the ditch for my new Koi pond. On second thought, I'll dig the pond myself and put the savings towards an outdoor kitchen. Instead, they can go bag my groceries at the grocery store....the employees of these stores are unionized and overpaid out here.....they will fit in just fine!!!!!

Well he kind of is implying that. It would be like me telling you I'll pay you only $4 to mow my lawn, and if you don't do it right away, I'm gonna give you $3.50 to do it. That's how ridiculous the NHL has been with there "negotiations." They started low, and didn't negotiate off it. Instead, they warned the PA --if you don't accept this we're going to regress because hey, that's the economics of the game. CBA negotiations are supposed to be just that, NEGOTIATIONS. Not, we need this, I demand this, give me this or I have to give you less because we'll have less to give you.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
nyrmessier011 said:
Well he kind of is implying that. It would be like me telling you I'll pay you only $4 to mow my lawn, and if you don't do it right away, I'm gonna give you $3.50 to do it. That's how ridiculous the NHL has been with there "negotiations."
Seems perfectly reasonable to me if you no longer have the extra 50 cents to spend.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
nyrmessier011 said:
Well he kind of is implying that. It would be like me telling you I'll pay you only $4 to mow my lawn, and if you don't do it right away, I'm gonna give you $3.50 to do it. That's how ridiculous the NHL has been with there "negotiations." They started low, and didn't negotiate off it. Instead, they warned the PA --if you don't accept this we're going to regress because hey, that's the economics of the game. CBA negotiations are supposed to be just that, NEGOTIATIONS. Not, we need this, I demand this, give me this or I have to give you less because we'll have less to give you.

Well, to me, I would have to either accept the offer early on, or move on and accept a new job somewhere else. NHL players are not slave labor, and last I checked they were being offered more than minimum wage. Therefore, it is their choice to play hockey. Just because they are professional hockey players does not automatically deem them deserved of excess millions. It's a marketplace. If the owners are unwilling to pay what the players want, then the owners don't have to pay. If the players are not happy with the offer, they can go do something else. THe owners, in turn, will find players whom are willing to accept an offer of employment. It's a business, not an entitlement.

The players rejected the owners offfer. The owners are not legally bound to improve their offer. In fact, it is within their right to reduce it as they see fit.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
nyrmessier011 said:
No its not, its like a bar offering to pay you $15 an hour but you refuse to work, they still have to pay the bills but have no income, a month later they can only afford $10 an hour, they say it will only get worse as people are finding other bars to spend their money on. You piss about for month and eventually your choice is $5 an hour or nothing.

You have lost several months of wages and have to accept an offer massively inferior to what you could have had before.

Now because all these people are drinking elsewhere, your wages arent going up for a long time because the bar cannot afford it. If only youd taken the 1st offer....

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I can't get to excited about a Brooks article. Not only because you always have to be concerend with the accuracy of what he says but because you also have to be concerned with what he didn't tell you. There's no sense getting too wrapped up in what is likely half a story with questionable accuracy.

Brent Burns Beard