Some details on the NHL offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
http://www.nypost.com/sports/46179.htm

For according to individuals with knowledge of the complex proposal that featured floating thresholds based on overall payroll levels and tax rates designed to escalate dramatically for clubs repeatedly in the top third-to-half of the league spenders, teams with annual payrolls in the $33-35M range would have faced $200M in payroll taxes over the six-year term of the CBA — and forfeiture of three first-round draft picks, as well.

Indeed, as those who spent all of Thursday night analyzing the out-of-left field proposal — that also featured a hard cap upper and lower per-team number based on revenue — figured it, either two-thirds of the league would have been catapulted into the highest tax bracket by the middle of the CBA, or no team would have dared to spend more than $28-30M on payroll.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:
no team would have dared to spend more than $28-30M on payroll.
if this is true (of the proposal) .... brutal .. this is not constructive to reaching a negotiated settlement.

seriously, if i know you wont accept $5.00 for your widget, does it make sense for me to continue offering $5.00 (or less) for it ? only if i dont really want it i suppose.

sayonara NHL hockey for another season ...sigh.

dr

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Brooks. Need one say more? :shakehead

While Brooks is a clown, and you can throw out his bias and opinions, he does seem to have better sources than just about anyone in getting the details to the different proposals ... and memos floating around the league offices.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
The Iconoclast said:
Brooks. Need one say more? :shakehead
and if its true, whats your take on the NHL's strategy ?

isnt it just wasting time and playing games? i am not suggesting they cant "want to pay" no more than X, but if the know the other side is not going to accept, why bother with the charade.

dr

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX

If this is true, then they are simply going nowhere. Not a chance in hell the PA would take that.

Lanny MacDonald*

DR said:
and if its true, whats your take on the NHL's strategy ?

isnt it just wasting time and playing games? i am not suggesting they cant "want to pay" no more than X, but if the know the other side is not going to accept, why bother with the charade.

dr

My take is that they are packaging what they feel what they can afford in ways that the NHLPA will accept it. Is it playing games? Maybe. If the NHL can afford more, then its playing games. If the NHL cannot afford more, then it is attempting to come a to a deal. Personally I think the NHL is giving the players their best offers. I think 54% is what they can afford at this time and that's as high as they can go. I think that maybe we all have to come to the conclusion that the owners are serious and being truthful that 54% is that top end number and that maybe the players will have to live with that. All the whining and moaning is not going to change anything if this is all that the league has to offer. If the players don't like it, go play in Europe for pennies on the dollar and let the owners kill themselves by paying out what they can afford. If they believe the lack of talent that the lesser salaries will buy will hurt the owners, then go play elsewhere for what ever you can earn and let the owners fall on their swords while spending what they say they can afford to spend.

SENSible1*

Pardon me if I wait for a more reliable source before commenting.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
If it's the actual offer, then it's not necessarily a bad thing, it's simply as unatainable as the PA's $50 max cap. But can be negotiated, and the PA may be able to use this cap structure to negotiate a significantly higher max cap, with the reasoning that almost no teams would ever push the top (and therefore, the idea of the cap as magnet would be ludicrous).

But it's a single story, which means that even if it's based in fact, the details could be wrong. I'd like to see at least one more story sourcing people outside of the Post story before I buy it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The part that is baffling is.....

Why does Bettman insist on wanting to negotiate the AHL CBA first ??

Why not start giving the NHLPA some proposals for the next NHL CBA to start to digest and put the AHL negotiations on the back burner for a while ??.

SENSible1*

The Messenger said:
The part that is baffling is.....

Why does Bettman insist on wanting to negotiate the AHL CBA first ??

Why not start giving the NHLPA some proposals for the next NHL CBA to start to digest and put the AHL negotiations on the back burner for a while ??.

Source??? :confused:

Lanny MacDonald*

Thunderstruck said:
Source??? :confused:

I think that was a very weak attempt at humor. I think someone is trying to say that the numbers are AHL level.

What's really funny is that the numbers suggested about three to four times what every player who scurried over to Europe played for. The players shoot themselves in the head with everything they do.

:handclap:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Iconoclast said:
I think that was a very weak attempt at humor. I think someone is trying to say that the numbers are AHL level.

What's really funny is that the numbers suggested about three to four times what every player who scurried over to Europe played for. The players shoot themselves in the head with everything they do.

:handclap:
If the article is even remotely true then its not very funny at all really

teams with annual payrolls in the $33-35M range would have faced $200M in payroll taxes over the six-year term of the CBA
That would mean teams like Edmonton. Phoenix etc that had payrolls at that level OLD CBA .. would be now facing potential penalties of $200 mil over the 6 year CBA according to Brooks math in this new CBA ..

So now show of hands who here thinks that this offer promotes that even the average teams of old would attempt to go anywhere near that range in Salary??

So its not funny but in fact very sad when you think about it ..

SENSible1*

How could I miss the hilarity contained in that brilliant post?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Kritter471 said:
If it's the actual offer, then it's not necessarily a bad thing, it's simply as unatainable as the PA's $50 max cap. But can be negotiated, and the PA may be able to use this cap structure to negotiate a significantly higher max cap, with the reasoning that almost no teams would ever push the top (and therefore, the idea of the cap as magnet would be ludicrous).

I agree , hopefully they can meet somewhere in the middle IF this type of system is agreed upon in principle .

I still say when all is said and done it'll be a 42-45 mil cap with no minimum required .Escalating taxes starting at 32 mil - 45 mil .

if teams cant survive under this , then move your team to a more lucrative market

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I'm waiting for the term "signing bonus" to appear in this next CBA. This wouldn't be a bad idea since signing bonuses dont count towards the cap.

SENSible1*

Scugs said:
I'm waiting for the term "signing bonus" to appear in this next CBA. This wouldn't be a bad idea since signing bonuses dont count towards the cap.
Signing bonuses count towards a cap.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Scugs said:
  • All annual individual signing bonuses contained in contracts.
  • All personal achievement bonus payouts.
  • All contract buyouts.
  • All annual signing bonuses for players in Entry Level System.
  • All players on Injured Reserve.
  • All players in minor leagues earning over $75,000.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/41703.htm

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
This is just unbelievable to me if true. If this is accurate the NHL basically is regressing on there offer. I Still can't believe how you can be pro-owner. It's so funny how the NHL just finds different ways to represent 54% instead of negotiating.

There will be no 2005-06 season.

X0ssbar

nyrmessier011 said:
This is just unbelievable to me if true. If this is accurate the NHL basically is regressing on there offer. I Still can't believe how you can be pro-owner. It's so funny how the NHL just finds different ways to represent 54% instead of negotiating.

How exactly is the NHL regressing on its offer? What offer are you talking about? The NHL made it very clear only linkage would be on the table after a certain point - that is where we are now.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Top Shelf said:
How exactly is the NHL regressing on its offer? What offer are you talking about? The NHL made it very clear only linkage would be on the table after a certain point - that is where we are now.

They are basically regressing because It has been months and they are still not negotiating off there precious number.

NHL has gone from 1) system representing 54% in one way. 2) system representing 54% in another way. 3) system representing 54% in another way. 4) Offering $42.5 M cap. 5) Offering 55%. 6) Offering system representing 54%. 7) Offering system representing 54% unless a team choses to lose 1st round draft picks lol

NHLPA has gone from 1) luxury tax. 2) lower luxury tax. 3) strict, lower luxury tax. 4) Hard cap. 5) Linkage

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
nyrmessier011 said:

There will be a 2005-06 season, because there is NO way the players will give up a 2nd season of their careers.

The NHL stated very clearly after the season was cancelled that the offers would only get worse from here...you shouldn't be surprised.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Digger12 said:
There will be a 2005-06 season, because there is NO way the players will give up a 2nd season of their careers.

The NHL stated very clearly after the season was cancelled that the offers would only get worse from here...you shouldn't be surprised.

So what are you saying, that it's fair that the NHLPA should be forced to take this 54% garbage deal because the NHL claims it's going to get worse and is sticking by there guns (when in fact they could go to 58% and all 30 teams would still make there precious doe). If the NHL really cared about losing fans and the "pie getting smaller" they would negotiate off this number to get a freaking deal done.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Top Shelf said:
I see what Domi was getting at now.

Why do you need professional negotiator like Goodenow in there receiving these types of offers, when a trained chimp like Domi could just as easily handle things with this latest gouging and union busting proposal ??

Even I would trust Domi that he would know what to do with it and depending on the type of paper its written on, he may have to flush more then once to get it all to go down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->