Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Disney has big expectations to replicate success of Beauty and The Beast via the Mary Poppins sequel and will be pushing it as major family movie event for holidays

Already dropped a teaser during Oscars

Will drop a full trailer closer to holidays and a major marketing campaign

Honestly Disney is on a roll lately so I wont doubt they can create buzz and a big hit via MP

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Am I the only one who really likes Revenge of the Sith? Episode 1 and 2 were garbage outside of the last 15-20 minutes of episode 2 but episode 3 was definitely higher caliber. It was no episode 4 or 5 but I have a much bigger desire to watch it again over anything since.

The new ones had such awful bad guys. Palpatine, Duku and Greivous were way better bad guys than the new clowns. And I say that as a huge fan of Andy Serkis but his character was just not well written and wasn’t even slightly fleshed out. Christopher Lee is particularly bad ass and Ian Mcdermiad played the role perfectly. Vader is still tops of course and his new scene in Rogue One is one of the best in the series. I don’t know what they were thinking with the new trilogy, they could have fixed it after episode 7 but there is no coming back from episode 8. Episode 8 is the only Star Wars movie I’ve watched only once and I have no desire to ever watch it again. I can’t even think of a single scene from it I would watch on its own.

I’m very cautiously optimistic about Solo as I really enjoyed Rogue One and rewatched it a couple times. Emilia Clarke’s inclusion doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence though. Hopefully she’s more early seasons GOT and less everything else she’s been in. Curious about how Donald Glover does, loved him in Community.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Am I the only one who really likes Revenge of the Sith? Episode 1 and 2 were garbage outside of the last 15-20 minutes of episode 2 but episode 3 was definitely higher caliber. It was no episode 4 or 5 but I have a much bigger desire to watch it again over anything since.

The new ones had such awful bad guys. Palpatine, Duku and Greivous were way better bad guys than the new clowns. And I say that as a huge fan of Andy Serkis but his character was just not well written and wasn’t even slightly fleshed out. Christopher Lee is particularly bad ass and Ian Mcdermiad played the role perfectly. Vader is still tops of course and his new scene in Rogue One is one of the best in the series. I don’t know what they were thinking with the new trilogy, they could have fixed it after episode 7 but there is no coming back from episode 8. Episode 8 is the only Star Wars movie I’ve watched only once and I have no desire to ever watch it again. I can’t even think of a single scene from it I would watch on its own.

I’m very cautiously optimistic about Solo as I really enjoyed Rogue One and rewatched it a couple times. Emilia Clarke’s inclusion doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence though. Hopefully she’s more early seasons GOT and less everything else she’s been in. Curious about how Donald Glover does, loved him in Community.

RotS is good and right there witih RotJ

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
A mod moved one of my replies and someone else's response to it to the TLJ thread, while leaving the rest of these similar replies that are about TLJ and not Solo. Perhaps we should have an all-encompassing Star Wars thread, so that conversation can evolve without worrying about whether it pertains to the single movie listed in the thread title. Soon, we're liable to get rumors about Episode 9 and, then, we may have three different Star Wars threads getting bumped at the same time.

It seems that you didn't even bother to read beyond "ESB was received poorly." I explained why it was and why people eventually came around to loving it. If you don't want to take my word for it, watch "Part 1" of the video that No Fun Shogun posted above. You not knowing your Star Wars history is not me "making up stuff." Also, if you had kept reading, you would've seen that I wasn't blaming fans for TLJ. If you would pay more attention, you'd see that we're on the same side, that I blame the writers for TLJ and, in referencing ESB, I'm making a point that is very much not in TLJ's favor.

Again, watch "Part 1" of the video that No Fun Shogun posted above. Don't be unwilling to believe that that's how it was because you're afraid that that excuses TLJ being disappointing, as well. As I've pointed out, ESB was initially disappointing to many fans for reasons very different than TLJ was. I think that you would have a stronger argument against TLJ by getting on board with mine than suggesting that there weren't complaints about films before the internet.

Exactly as I said. who cares what Mikey thinks or some film critic who watched movies that were anything but "guy" movies. It obvious "Mikey" wasn't around back then or he would have known the gender distinctions of that era. There were also no internet polls back then.

It find it bemusing the lengths some will go to in their quest to blame TLJ on the fans. Digging up some quote by a dusty old writer. It's borderline delusional.

Sure hope Solo is better.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Reviews coming in on RT aren't looking great.

70 on Rotten Tomatoes. 63 on Metacritic......and this is from the "professional" critics who went out and gave glowing reviews to TLJ and defended it from the fans.

Solo must be truly awful if that's how its being reviewed from inside the media bubble.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
70 on Rotten Tomatoes. 63 on Metacritic......and this is from the "professional" critics who went out and gave glowing reviews to TLJ and defended it from the fans.

Solo must be truly awful if that's how its being reviewed from inside the media bubble.

I hate to be a cynic but this is what's I'm thinking as well. It's akin to crappy MCU movies like Iron Man 2, Thor 2, and Age of Ultron getting RT scores in the high-60s/low-70s.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

So is there some newfangled conversion calculator I have to buy to figure out the "real" score since apparently now the media bubble is biased with regards to Star Wars movies?

Honestly the score and reviews seem about what I expected. Okay, possibly mediocre and with enough Star Wars stuff to get enough people to like it for what it is. Likely forgettable and not necessarily a movie I need to see immediately.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Reviews coming in on RT aren't looking great.

Let's be reality, a 70% Fresh rating is much higher than anyone expected. It's also not that bad. There are more higher profile films that ended up with a lower or similar rating. Everyone knows BvS, Suicide Squad and Justice League scores and Jurassic World ended up with a 71% Fresh. A best case scenario for this movie, considering the production difficulties, was pretty much this. An ok, fun movie that you'll maybe see once and feel entertained enough.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
"At some points during my press screening audience members actually laughed AT the movie."

I thought this review was pretty interesting from 2:10 on. She lays into Kathleen Kennedy also.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Let's be reality, a 70% Fresh rating is much higher than anyone expected. It's also not that bad. There are more higher profile films that ended up with a lower or similar rating. Everyone knows BvS, Suicide Squad and Justice League scores and Jurassic World ended up with a 71% Fresh. A best case scenario for this movie, considering the production difficulties, was pretty much this. An ok, fun movie that you'll maybe see once and feel entertained enough.
Yeah and all those movies suck.

Attack of The Clones got 69%. Infact AotC has an average reviewer rating of 6.7/10, while Solo is currently sitting at 6.5/10.

I was one of the few that thought this movie would actually turn out to be one of the better Disney SW films, but it doesn't sound like it.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Yeah and all those movies suck.

Attack of The Clones got 69%. Infact AotC has an average reviewer rating of 6.7/10, while Solo is currently sitting at 6.5/10.

I was one of the few that thought this movie would actually turn out to be one of the better Disney SW films, but it doesn't sound like it.

the problem is the character is just far too iconic to have another actor play him...regardless of which time period it takes place in.

it was more reasonable for Vader because of the mask. There was no 1 actor that everyone automatically pictured as Darth Vader.

Reactions: Moon Man

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I have no idea what reviewers are looking for in Star Wars movies, so whenever I get around to watching it I will judge it on its merits.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think most reviewers ware way too positive on movies overall and lack real criticism. I also think there's often a herd mentality amongst them.

Reviewers have been very easy on these new SW films, which is why I'm surprised how lukewarm the Solo reactions have been.

Reactions: Moon Man and bs

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
"At some points during my press screening audience members actually laughed AT the movie."

I thought this review was pretty interesting from 2:10 on. She lays into Kathleen Kennedy also.

Gotta be honest: Not a fan of her reviews, especially the MCU ones

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I dont know whether its good or not that the TV trailer spots start off with "......critics are calling it unexpectedly good!"

:facepalm:

I think most reviewers ware way too positive on movies overall and lack real criticism. I also think there's often a herd mentality amongst them.

Reviewers have been very easy on these new SW films, which is why I'm surprised how lukewarm the Solo reactions have been.

I on the other hand find some people judge things far too harshly. Theres such a thing as movies being "just OK", and thats perfectly fine. A movie doesnt have to be spectacular for me to feel Ive got my $12~ worth out of it.

The example I used from recent years was Jurassic World. Is it a fantastic achievement of film making? No, not even close. Did I enjoy seeing dinosaurs on a big screen eat people and trash stuff? Absolutely.

I quite like the second half of RotS. Pretty well from the start of "Order 66" through the duel and end of film.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Gotta be honest: Not a fan of her reviews, especially the MCU ones

Yup, I can't stand watching her videos for long because some of her takes are so wrong/weird/out there that I might develop a migraine. When she complained about the first Deadpool film being R-rated, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Reactions: Huggy43

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Never got the appeal of guys like Jahns and Stuckmann. They always pop up on my feed when I look up movies, and I don't find their analysis to be very intelligent or engaging.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I dislike Jahns, Stuckermann, and Beyond The Trailer. Stuckermann is a ham and is almost always too postive. His review of Solo was pretty negative by his standards.

The only reviews I really like are RLM and Double Toasted.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I like RLM just based on what comes across as a very genuine discussion between two or more guys on a movie they just saw. It doesn't come across like most other youtubers where they are almost preaching their opinion towards you.

I get that preachy vibe a lot from MovieBob but for some reason he has been growing on me lately.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A weird thought occurred to me yesterday: if the film is really not good, some people might actually start wondering if Lord and Miller's film would've been better. I doubt that it would've been, but we'll never know for sure and that doubt could salvage a bit of their reputation, possibly at the expense of Kathleen Kennedy's. That'd be an interesting reversal after a year of people mostly applauding the director swap. I don't imagine that the film will be bad enough for that, especially with Ron Howard, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad