Softest NHL Team

Fersick

Sep 22, 2010
Forum: Hockey fights

It is very relevant, but not the only reason Buffalo is soft.

Thread title: Softest NHL Team not worst NHL team at fighting.

Oh and if the Lucic hit on Miller is one of your reasons for Buffalo being the softest team in the league, Cooke's hit on Savard says hi.

Analyzer*

Re: the Leafs, I don't expect us to dress a heavyweight on a regular basis this year. Our centres will be Bozak, Grabo, and two of Connolly/McClement/Steckel, zero fighting there. Our wingers will probably be something like Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Mac, Kulemin, Kadri, Frattin and Brown. Brown is really the only fighter there, with guys like Lupul or Mac dropping them in an absolute pinch, but not on any sort of regular basis.

On d we should have two big guys who can hit (Phaneuf and Komi), as well as a softer big guy (Franson), but no fighters. Phaneuf and Komi will drop them once in awhile, but neither are very good at it.

Overall we'll likely be one of the worst fighting teams in the league, maybe the worst period (again, assuming we don't dress guys like Orr or Rosehill on a regular basis, which I think is a safe assumption). In terms of hitting we'll be a bit below average, but not bad. Phaneuf is one of the better hitters in the league, Komi is quite a good hitter too, Brown loves to play physical, Frattin can really lay guys out when he does hit (which wasn't often enough in his rookie year, but hopefully that changes). Guys like JVR, Steckel, Franson, Bozak, Lupul, McClement, etc. will all hit a bit too, though none are anything close to being punishing players.

We definitely lost some toughness on d by trading Schenn (meh fighter, great hitter) and Aulie (good fighter, good hitter). I didn't disagree with either trade, but purely from a toughness point of view we should be a bit softer than last year, and we were already one of the softest teams in the league.

Steckel can fight and he put up 170 registered hits. The guy is 6'5. He throws his weight and someone is mad at him, he'll probably go with them.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
Thread title: Softest NHL Team not worst NHL team at fighting.

Oh and if the Lucic hit on Miller is one of your reasons for Buffalo being the softest team in the league, Cooke's hit on Savard says hi.

Yeah because Boston hasn't changed since then :rolleyes:

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
You can say the same thing about Buffalo since the Miller hit.

Because they added a goon and an agitator while losing the one guy who would stand up for his goalie? Team mentallity is still the same and looks like it will be for the foreseeable future.

Aceonfire*

People say that the Oil are soft, I disagree. Although they certainly need to add some grit they are far from being the softest.

Ryan Smyth may not drop gloves with you right away. But if you hit one of the kids.....3 games later you will get a stick to the face and he'll tell you why lol.

And Eager can be one of the dirtiest players in the NHL. Ask any Canuck fan.
Also Sutton is just so much fun to watch when he feels like getting suspended.

For the softest, Detroit was up there. But now I would say Tampa or Washington.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Because they added a goon and an agitator while losing the one guy who would stand up for his goalie? Team mentallity is still the same and looks like it will be for the foreseeable future.

Team mentality is where they are improving. Getting rid of Roy and adding Ott. Then you add in all the youngbucks coming through the ranks (tropp, girgs, mcnabb, foligno etc...). All of whom weren't in the line up that game. It's ridiculous to think they'll be the same team they were last November.

It's obvious you have a hatred towards the Sabres. I hold the same hatred towards the Bruins. It's not even worth arguing anymore.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
Team mentality is where they are improving. Getting rid of Roy and adding Ott. Then you add in all the youngbucks coming through the ranks (tropp, girgs, mcnabb, foligno etc...). All of whom weren't in the line up that game. It's ridiculous to think they'll be the same team they were last November.

It's obvious you have a hatred towards the Sabres. I hold the same hatred towards the Bruins. It's not even worth arguing anymore.

Ott is the last player the Sabres needed. He is another agitator. It affirms their mentallity. They are still an agitating team, which is a huge part of their soft identity.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ott is the last player the Sabres needed. He is another agitator. It affirms their mentallity. They are still an agitating team, which is a huge part of their soft identity.

I wouldnt consider agitating physical players as making a team soft, theyll all drop the gloves a bit and throw the weight around plenty. You add Ott and Scott, plus Tropp, Foligno, Mcnabb to a lineup and youre tougher. This thread isnt just about pure fighting, its about physicality and how hard a team is to play against. Ott definitely improves Buffalo

I know Bruins and Sabres don't get along and you guys have your biases but Buffalo is not a soft team anymore no matter how you want to spin it.

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
I don't get it. Sabres are no where near the softest team. Carolina, Tampa, Red Wings all come to mind.

Ott, Scott, Kaleta, Regehr, Myers, will all fight. As opposed to like Anthony Stewart and Gleason on Carolina....Abdelkader on the wings, and Ryan Malone on the Lightning

Analyzer*

I don't get it. Sabres are no where near the softest team. Carolina, Tampa, Red Wings all come to mind.

Ott, Scott, Kaleta, Regehr, Myers, will all fight. As opposed to like Anthony Stewart and Gleason on Carolina....Abdelkader on the wings, and Ryan Malone on the Lightning

Myers fights ? He may be tremendously skilled, but he has the fighting prowess of a Hal Gill ffs.

Gleason doesn't fight much, but he's tough as nails. Same with Anthony.

Regehr doesn't fight much. Scott will rarely play and Ott either runs, or picks on players who don't fight.

I think that's why someone thinks they're "soft" Personally, I don't. IMO in the Northeast Toronto/ Ottawa is the softest.

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Myers fights ? He may be tremendously skilled, but he has the fighting prowess of a Hal Gill ffs.

Regehr doesn't fight much. Scott will rarely play and Ott either runs, or picks on players who don't fight.

I think that's why someone thinks they're "soft" Personally, I don't. IMO in the Northeast Toronto/ Ottawa is the softest.

Tyler Myers has some fighting majors when he was in the WHL but you're right he rarely fights.

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON

Don't forget Cody McCormick. One tough SOB.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Yup. Buffalo is far from the broad street bullies, but they have players who aren't afraid to get their nose dirty. I guess you can say they have grit.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
I wouldnt consider agitating physical players as making a team soft, theyll all drop the gloves a bit and throw the weight around plenty. You add Ott and Scott, plus Tropp, Foligno, Mcnabb to a lineup and youre tougher. This thread isnt just about pure fighting, its about physicality and how hard a team is to play against. Ott definitely improves Buffalo

I know Bruins and Sabres don't get along and you guys have your biases but Buffalo is not a soft team anymore no matter how you want to spin it.

A style where you play with your mouth absolutely makes your team soft.

And why can't Buffalo? :rolleyes:

Bruins already changed. Buffalo has shown no significant steps of changing their style.

Yup. Buffalo is far from the broad street bullies, but they have players who aren't afraid to get their nose dirty. I guess you can say they have grit.

Every hockey team in history has had some grit.

Fersick

Sep 22, 2010
Bruins already changed. Buffalo has shown no significant steps of changing their style.

Yeah its not like they havn't been drafting bigger and more physical players over the last 3 or so years. Or added Regehr last offseason or Ott this offseason. Regardless of what you think of Ott he still plays a physical game.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
A style where you play with your mouth absolutely makes your team soft.

Every hockey team in history has had some grit.

Come on man.. i agree with a lot of what you say at times.. this.. I can't go with. You don't get john scott to improve your pp.. no he won't see that much ice time. But when the bruins and sabres play.. he'll be in the line up. Ott has made them have more of an edge.. is he tough.. no but he's a dingleberry who will piss some players off. I'm happy the sabres got these two players. When they finally play it will be more of a rivalry. Samething for the habs this season.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
Yeah its not like they havn't been drafting bigger and more physical players over the last 3 or so years. Or added Regehr last offseason or Ott this offseason. Regardless of what you think of Ott he still plays a physical game.

Regehr in Grier out. Ott in Gaustad out. Ott is an agitator, Gaustad was your toughest player last year. Wrong direction there. Shouldn't be so confident in your drafting. Doubt these guys make an impact for a while.

Come on man.. i agree with a lot of what you say at times.. this.. I can't go with. You don't get john scott to improve your pp.. no he won't see that much ice time. But when the bruins and sabres play.. he'll be in the line up. Ott has made them have more of an edge.. is he tough.. no but he's a dingleberry who will piss some players off. I'm happy the sabres got these two players. When they finally play it will be more of a rivalry. Samething for the habs this season.

I said style. Ott plays Ruff's style. They changed some players, but will keep the same style Ruff has maintained for years.

Anyways Scott will barely play. An enforcer was needed desperately, so that was necessary, but come on...will he play enough to make a soft team tough? Unlikely and Ott plays on an edge. But a Marchand-like edge. Marchand does not make the Bruins tougher. Agitators jobs are to dive and yap. They make teams soft and Ott adds to a surplus of that in Buffalo.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I don't see how being an agitator makes Ott soft. I don't see how 107 NHL fights makes Ott soft. I don't see how fighting the likes of Carcillo, Iginla and Neil make Ott soft. The guy's an annoying ****, but he will back it up when necessary.

I don't think Buffalo is going to be the pinko pushovers that some (well, one) are making them out to be.

Fersick

Sep 22, 2010
Regehr in Grier out. Ott in Gaustad out. Ott is an agitator, Gaustad was your toughest player last year. Wrong direction there.
If you feel that its the wrong direction thats fine. But it was time for a different one and thats why Gaustad and Roy are no longer with the team.
BruinsNeedaRussian said:
Shouldn't be so confident in your drafting. Doubt these guys make an impact for a while.
The only reason I mentioned the drafting was because they already started to make an impact last season.

I said style. Ott plays Ruff's style. They changed some players, but will keep the same style Ruff has maintained for years.

Anyways Scott will barely play. An enforcer was needed desperately, so that was necessary, but come on...will he play enough to make a soft team tough? Unlikely and Ott plays on an edge. But a Marchand-like edge. Marchand does not make the Bruins tougher. Agitators jobs are to dive and yap. They make teams soft and Ott adds to a surplus of that in Buffalo.
They didn't need an enforcer that will be in the line-up every night, they already have McCormick for that. What they need is someone thats physical and willing to drop the gloves and can also play in the top 6.

I don't see how being an agitator makes Ott soft. I don't see how 107 NHL fights makes Ott soft. I don't see how fighting the likes of Carcillo, Iginla and Neil make Ott soft. The guy's an annoying ****, but he will back it up when necessary.

I don't think Buffalo is going to be the pinko pushovers that some (well, one) are making them out to be.
Thats how I feel about Ott. Are him and Marchand both agitators? Yep. But Ott is also in the top of the league in hits every season and does quite a bit of fighting.

LeanBeef

Sep 4, 2012
Anyone mention LA?

Other than Clifford, King, Nolan, and Greene most of they don't have much toughness.

I'd put them on the same level as Vancouver.. Or slightly lower, as Vancouver only has Kassian, Bieksa, Volpatti, and Desbiens. Weise, Lapierre, and Ballard occasionally drop em but don't usually win (other than Ballard who usually goes against top six guys)

Clifford vs Kassian-Draw (Kassian Beat clifford 3 times in junior)
Desbiens vs Greene-Desbiens wins
Nolan vs Weise- Nolan with the win
Volpatti vs King- Slight edge King
Ballard vs Fraser- Ballard wins
Brown/Richards vs Bieksa- Bieksa wins

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Anyone mention LA?

Other than Clifford, King, Nolan, and Greene most of they don't have much toughness.

I'd put them on the same level as Vancouver.. Or slightly lower, as Vancouver only has Kassian, Bieksa, Volpatti, and Desbiens. Weise, Lapierre, and Ballard occasionally drop em but don't usually win (other than Ballard who usually goes against top six guys)

Clifford vs Kassian-Draw (Kassian Beat clifford 3 times in junior)
Desbiens vs Greene-Desbiens wins
Nolan vs Weise- Nolan with the win
Volpatti vs King- Slight edge King
Ballard vs Fraser- Ballard wins
Brown/Richards vs Bieksa- Bieksa wins
LA also has Kevin Westgarth who you conveniently didn't mention since he would easily beat anyone on Vancouver.

And Willie Mitchell will occassionally fight. Point is, Los Angeles is not even close to being soft. They are one of the more physical teams I would say.

LeanBeef

Sep 4, 2012
LA also has Kevin Westgarth who you conveniently didn't mention since he would easily beat anyone on Vancouver.

And Willie Mitchell will occassionally fight. Point is, Los Angeles is not even close to being soft. They are one of the more physical teams I would say.
How could I forget Wesgarth. But yeah I agree, he can probably destroy every Canuck player. The closest he'll get to a solid fight would be against Desbiens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad