Softest NHL Team

Bruise Bros 2426

Jul 17, 2011
Tampa looks a little grittier with Pierre-Cedric Labrie coming up from Syracuse. Physical guy that isn't afraid to throw 'em. Wonder where Aulie fits in their lineup.

Nashville isn't the meanest team out there, but they're fairly balanced, imo. McGrattan should see a fair amount of games, Yip is physical and scrappy, and Gaustad is a big body. Fisher is still physical. They'll be fine.

Toronto, Dallas, Detroit, and Carolina look to be the bottom 4. Detroit has improved in the scrappiness department with the acquisition of Jordin Tootoo and Brendan Smith up full time. Carolina has improved a bit as well with the acquisition of Kevin Westgarth. Hopefully he'll play the majority of the games on the schedule.

Last edited:

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
Tampa looks a little grittier with Pierre-Cedric Labrie coming up from Syracuse. Physical guy that isn't afraid to throw 'em. Wonder where Aulie fits in their lineup.

Nashville isn't the meanest team out there, but they're fairly balanced, imo. McGrattan should see a fair amount of games, Yip is physical and scrappy, and Gaustad is a big body. Fisher is still physical. They'll be fine.

Toronto, Dallas, Detroit, and Carolina look to be the bottom 4. Detroit has improved in the scrappiness department with the acquisition of Jordin Tootoo and Brendan Smith up full time. Carolina has improved a bit as well with the acquisition of Kevin Westgarth. Hopefully he'll play the majority of the games on the schedule.

Just to update things, it looks like Orr is going to make the team this season, if he has indeed rejuvenated his game, that changes things for Toronto quite a bit. Not saying they'll be in the top tier, but Orr is still a game changer when it comes to fighting.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Soft means a little something different to me. Sure I am a Wings fan but keep in mind when I first was hooked on the game the Wings were Yzerman and not much else. They would have bench clearing brawls all the time and the bruise brothers (Kocur and Probert) were running around scary.

However there is something to be said for paying the price to make a play. It isn't all just fights and delivering the punishment. The Wings do plenty of hitting when the situation calls for it. They play the game hard and honest and they will go to the areas a lot of players won't and pay the price to do it.

If they were nearly as soft as many people want to believe they wouldn't win as often as they do. This isn't just getting helped out by the refs or whatever conspiracy theory will follow. It is because they play through pain and the prepare in a way that won't deter them from doing what they want.

This is under the hockey fights board and they have not been big with fighting for a while. But when the time has called for it when they think they should answer, they have not been found wanting on many occasions either. They will only be pushed so far and really since they don't provoke a lot of things they shouldn't be fighting all the time. They do usually give the league the first option to actually enforce the rules like in the Weber incident. Some might frown on that, but I am sure they thought losing Weber was a net gain, it was a smart decision if the NHL actually followed their own rule book. In any event don't see them allowing a Miller incident or something along those lines either and that isn't how I look on the Weber one if someone wants to bring that up.

However as Newfy pointed out I would be careful this year with this attitude.

Tootoo, Smith, Ericsson are guys that can all really throw. Ericsson has never really had running mates, hard to send a game into that place if all you have backing you up is Abdelkader. However with Abdelkader and Bert as now backup guys instead of people expected to answer, they have five guys that are willing guys. I think they will be a little more bold.

Also curious with Ericsson lined up next to Kronwall after a big hit, the first time a fighter tries jumping him what will happen. I am not calling him a heavyweight but with his reach and strength he doesn't lose a lot. He doesn't go much either, but have a buddy who was an enforcer in the AHL and said Ericsson crushed him after he beat up Downey a couple years ago. His statement "That big ******* Swede can throw bombs, wasn't expecting it but that was the toughest fight I have had in over a year."

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Tootoo, Smith, Ericsson are guys that can all really throw. Ericsson has never really had running mates, hard to send a game into that place if all you have backing you up is Abdelkader. However with Abdelkader and Bert as now backup guys instead of people expected to answer, they have five guys that are willing guys. I think they will be a little more bold.

Also curious with Ericsson lined up next to Kronwall after a big hit, the first time a fighter tries jumping him what will happen. I am not calling him a heavyweight but with his reach and strength he doesn't lose a lot. He doesn't go much either, but have a buddy who was an enforcer in the AHL and said Ericsson crushed him after he beat up Downey a couple years ago. His statement "That big ******* Swede can throw bombs, wasn't expecting it but that was the toughest fight I have had in over a year."
Ericcson really frustrates me like that and I really hope he does stick up for the number 1 dman a bit more now that he isnt the toughest guy on the team anymore. Guys like Abdelkader and Ericcson shouldnt be your only tough guys but they are tough still and contribute to team toughness.

The thing that really pisses me off about Ericcson is he can beat up the small guys no problem and he can sit there and chuck em with Ryane Clowe in a pretty close fight. As a European without that much experience he can give Clowe a good fight, how tough could he be with experience? Hopefully we see it a bit more this year, having guys like Tootoo running around and backing you up will make all the guys on the team play a bit tougher

I expect Abdelkader on Tootoos line to get sucked into more fights and Ericcson to jump in for Kronwall when he gets mugged.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I guess you know your team better then I do I just dont see a straight up goon like Mcgratton playing all that much, I could obviously be wrong. I really dont think Clune will play at all really, maybe a bit if theres injuries from the short season.

Yeah Tootoo didnt fight much but he could when he wants to and the big thing with him is hes one of the hardest hitting forwards out there. Very hard to play against compared to Gaustad even when he isnt fighting.

I dont think Nashville will be sofy by any means but I just have a feeling this year will be very different from last. And even though Mcgratton might play, I honestly dont think goons like that make your team that much harder to play against. They make it tough on one other goon on the other team that has to fight them for 30 seconds but Mcgratton isnt catching anyone with a big hit or forechecking hard because hes slow. I would personally rather have the smaller Tootoo/Mike Brown/Clune/Dorsett types in the line up to make it harder on all the other teams guys
I think you're right we'll miss Tootoo's hits but he calmed down a bit on that last season and tried to focus more on his offense, which is what pushed the change of scenery that we have now. Tootoo is fun though, you guys will like him.

Bourque can actually play that high energy hitter role that Toots played but offer more offense too, but he's not healthy, and I don't know if he can withstand that style like Tootoo could.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think you're right we'll miss Tootoo's hits but he calmed down a bit on that last season and tried to focus more on his offense, which is what pushed the change of scenery that we have now. Tootoo is fun though, you guys will like him.

Bourque can actually play that high energy hitter role that Toots played but offer more offense too, but he's not healthy, and I don't know if he can withstand that style like Tootoo could.

I get that he signed with the Wings, but a little surprised at the reaction Nashville fans have on Tootoo. I mean you can call him a traitor or whatever and your not in the crowd I am amused with, but he does bring very real things to the table. And this Tootoo became more of an offensive player line, yes he did and he scored 30 points, not bad at all for a depth player while still racking up a ton of hits.

Tootoo is a pretty good hockey player, he is hard to play against, gives a bunch of effort and has some scoring touch. I have no doubt he will stick up for teammates in Detroit but we will encourage him to play a game similar to last year, to not go for staged fights very often and look for offense. It also looks like he will get to play maybe some pk, something I watched him do quite well in Milwaukee and was surprised the Preds didn't trot him out for more.

I have seen a lot of lines about Tootoo signing with the Wings as a sign they are not what they once were. I just think they see him for a role and he sees himself as a similar player. Not the same guy that broke into the league as a fly by the seat of his pants create being a fan favorite. We all know about his off-ice struggles, I think he grew up and wants to play hockey a certain way and thought Nashville will never let him and went for a fresh start.

Of course people like the hitting and fighting, but Tootoo is comfortable with the puck on his stick and he is a better hockey player than I think a lot of people give him credit for.

JimLaheyprobert

Nov 19, 2012

Toronto is now one of the tougher teams with Orr, Brown, Phaneuf, Fraser, Komosarich. Orr and brown alone makes them real tough, but now adding fraser is just another heavyweight to their lineup.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Half way in and the Leafs lead the league in fights (close to twice as many as the majority of the league) and lead the league in hits (by 66 over #2) with the home vs road numbers pretty even (meaning it doesn't appear to be home favouritism).

I'd say the several who selected Toronto among their softest were a touch off base.

Bruise Bros 2426

Jul 17, 2011
Half way in and the Leafs lead the league in fights (close to twice as many as the majority of the league) and lead the league in hits (by 66 over #2) with the home vs road numbers pretty even (meaning it doesn't appear to be home favouritism).

I'd say the several who selected Toronto among their softest were a touch off base.
In defense of those who chose Toronto (Including myself), it was unknown whether Mark Fraser had a spot on Toronto's blueline, and Frazer McLaren didn't begin the season as a Leaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad