Softest NHL Team

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Detroit Red Wings are the softest team in the NHL, even if they got TooToo!

The wings arent the softest team in the league anymore, especially if youre talking about more then fighting.

I would argue that Detroit has the hardest hitting forward and defenseman in the league now (although Chris Neil is a beast). Tootoo is still up there with any forward though. Plus Tootoo, Smith, Ericcson, Abdelkader and I guess Bertuzzi who are all at least decent fighters. Theres teams worse off then that in the league

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruise Bros 2426

Jul 17, 2011
Detroit Red Wings are the softest team in the NHL, even if they got TooToo!
While they're far from being the toughest, Detroit isn't the softest team in the NHL. Jordin Tootoo is one of the most physical forwards in the league. He's a decent scrapper, too. Brendan Smith and Justin Abdelkader are physical, as well (Although Abdelkader isn't a particularly good fighter).

I'd say that Dallas is looking like the softest in the league, especially since they traded Mark Fistric to the Oilers.

Last edited by a moderator:

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
Washington is soft as hell. Erskine never plays and all they have is Hendricks.

Mynameismark*

Regehr in Grier out. Ott in Gaustad out. Ott is an agitator, Gaustad was your toughest player last year. Wrong direction there. Shouldn't be so confident in your drafting. Doubt these guys make an impact for a while.

I said style. Ott plays Ruff's style. They changed some players, but will keep the same style Ruff has maintained for years.

Anyways Scott will barely play. An enforcer was needed desperately, so that was necessary, but come on...will he play enough to make a soft team tough? Unlikely and Ott plays on an edge. But a Marchand-like edge. Marchand does not make the Bruins tougher. Agitators jobs are to dive and yap. They make teams soft and Ott adds to a surplus of that in Buffalo.

The difference is Ott can fight, Marchand cant.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The difference is Ott can fight, Marchand cant.

Yeah adding a guy who hits hard, pisses the other team off and can scrap middle weights doesnt make your team "softer" because he runs his mouth too. Thats a pretty big reach

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Nashville still has Fisher, Gaustad, Weber, McGratton, Yip and Clune. Replacing Tootoo with Clune, Gaustad and more games of McGratton, will keep us tough enough for most teams.

Clune isnt as tough as Tootoo and I really doubt he plays much to be honest, hes an AHL type. I also really doubt Mcgratton plays much at all this year in a shortened season most teams wont be dressing goons because points are so important. I guess Yip kinda stirs the pot and is kind of physical but hes not all that tough either. Fisher is hardnosed but doesnt really fight anymore either.

Overall I would say Nashville fans are going to be disappointed in the toughness of their team. Gaustad and Weber play bigger minutes though and are tougher players so they will have guys that can step up when need be but unless Mcgratts gets a good amount of ice time Nashville will be a fairly soft team

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Clune or McGratton will play as much as Tootoo did until Bourque comes back. Bourque is a high energy player, he doesn't fight but he hits.

I think you might be surprised how much McGratton plays too. If it's a physical team like St. Louis, you can bet he'll be in.

Losing Tootoo for straight up toughness does hurt though, it just doesn't kill us. He actually only had 5 fights last season, so Gaustad really does replace his fights.

McGratton lead the Preds last season in fights, I don't see that changing this season.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Florida and detroit are pretty soft. Dallas is lookin alot more skilled but way less gritty with the exception of morrow and nystrom(if they still have him) Edmontons soft. Vancouver is soft as hell. all they do is cheap shot players. Who do u guys think is the toughest. I say St. Louis with backes, oshie, berglund, stewart, langenbrunner, Sobotka, Reaves, nichol, Cole, Jackman and Polak

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Florida and detroit are pretty soft. Dallas is lookin alot more skilled but way less gritty with the exception of morrow and nystrom(if they still have him) Edmontons soft. Vancouver is soft as hell. all they do is cheap shot players. Who do u guys think is the toughest. I say St. Louis with backes, oshie, berglund, stewart, langenbrunner, Sobotka, Reaves, nichol, Cole, Jackman and Polak

Boston, they have two top players who can fight with the bests in the league, Lucic and Chara, Thornton and McQuaid who are great fighters and have been playing regular shifts on a stanley cup team. After that you have a bunch of guys who play hard and can fight. They are the most intimidating team to play against. If you add McDermid to that...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Boston, they have two top players who can fight with the bests in the league, Lucic and Chara, Thornton and McQuaid who are great fighters and have been playing regular shifts on a stanley cup team. After that you have a bunch of guys who play hard and can fight. They are the most intimidating team to play against. If you add McDermid to that...

Yup St Louis isnt even that close to Boston really

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Clune or McGratton will play as much as Tootoo did until Bourque comes back. Bourque is a high energy player, he doesn't fight but he hits.

I think you might be surprised how much McGratton plays too. If it's a physical team like St. Louis, you can bet he'll be in.

Losing Tootoo for straight up toughness does hurt though, it just doesn't kill us. He actually only had 5 fights last season, so Gaustad really does replace his fights.

McGratton lead the Preds last season in fights, I don't see that changing this season.
I guess you know your team better then I do I just dont see a straight up goon like Mcgratton playing all that much, I could obviously be wrong. I really dont think Clune will play at all really, maybe a bit if theres injuries from the short season.

Yeah Tootoo didnt fight much but he could when he wants to and the big thing with him is hes one of the hardest hitting forwards out there. Very hard to play against compared to Gaustad even when he isnt fighting.

I dont think Nashville will be sofy by any means but I just have a feeling this year will be very different from last. And even though Mcgratton might play, I honestly dont think goons like that make your team that much harder to play against. They make it tough on one other goon on the other team that has to fight them for 30 seconds but Mcgratton isnt catching anyone with a big hit or forechecking hard because hes slow. I would personally rather have the smaller Tootoo/Mike Brown/Clune/Dorsett types in the line up to make it harder on all the other teams guys

moog35

Jul 25, 2007

Vancouver isn't as soft as they have been the past couple of seasons, they are not a tough team but they also are not the softest, they don't have a heavy weight but they have a few of guys who are at least willing to drop the gloves. They have Kassian, Vandermeer, Bieksa, Volpatti, Weise, Ballard (sucks at fighting but will go) Lappiere (Awful fighter but had 7 fights last year) and Alberts is good for a couple of crappy fights. With Booth and Kesler out its possible that all those guys will see time in the line up to stick up for the rest of the ******* on the team

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
i keep seeing reference to McGrattOn. its McGrattAn. ;)

You know what I mean lol :D
Labrie also made the team, brings up the grit and toughness of the team a bit.

Not a huge Labrie fan but theres no denying he can handle himself half decent out there. I do really like Aulie though, will he be in the line up full time this season?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Because they added a goon and an agitator while losing the one guy who would stand up for his goalie? Team mentallity is still the same and looks like it will be for the foreseeable future.

Added:
M Foligno
Ott
Scott

Subtracted:
Roy
Gaustad (was on the ice for the Lucic run at Miller and did nothing)

Also add-in that Myers spent his summer training with Shea Weber and said in an interview he'd like to model his game more like that, the Sabres have definitely improved team toughness.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
Not a huge Labrie fan but theres no denying he can handle himself half decent out there. I do really like Aulie though, will he be in the line up full time this season?

Probably yes, unless he plays himself into the pressbox. He should get bottom pairing/PK minutes to start. But its Aulie, MAB, Mikkelson and Lee fighting for the bottom pairing spots so who knows for the whole season?

Lightning definitely look to have a little more grit than the past couple of years with Malone, Aulie, Crombeen and Labrie.

They won't be confused with the Bruins anytime soon, but its a step in the right direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad