Softest NHL Team

Bruise Bros 2426

Jul 17, 2011
As everything stands right now, who do you guys feel is the softest team in the NHL? "Soft" being defined as a team that is not very physical, won't go to the dirty areas to battle for the puck, and lacks players that will fight.

Keep in mind that there are still some physical and scrappy UFAs that can make a team tougher:

Jay Rosehill
Jim Vandermeer
Brad Winchester
Byron Bitz

As it all stands right now, Carolina looks pretty soft. Winnipeg lost Tanner Glass and hasn't really done anything to replace him with another scrappy guy (Unless they plan on having Patrice Cormier up full-time next year).

Discuss.

Analyzer*

Winnipeg may have lost Glass, but they still have Thorburn, Stuart, Ladd, Byfuglien, Kane, and Bogosian. All players who can fight pretty good or better.

Winnipeg is far from softest.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I don't know that Edmonton has much in terms of hard-hitting guys who will drop gloves. I think they've got a couple who are borderline NHLers that may not play full seasons or barely play more than 5-6 minutes (Peckham, Eager) but their top-6... even top 9 PLUS their defense doesn't contain much sandpaper.

Bruise Bros 2426

Jul 17, 2011
Detroit is probably the softest team in the nhl even though they picked up Jordin Tootoo, Tampa bay is pretty soft also but they picked up B.J Crombeen.
Detroit is still pretty soft, but I don't think they're the softest. Tootoo throws his weight around and will drop the gloves. Brendan Smith will be up full-time this year. Tampa's not gonna be the toughest team, but Malone and Crombeen can handle themselves. Winnipeg has a couple guys that are gritty. I think Carolina may be the softest at the moment, at least.

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Detroit is still pretty soft, Jay but I don't think they're the softest. Tootoo throws his weight around and will drop the gloves. Brendan Smith will be up full-time this year. Tampa's not gonna be the toughest team, but Malone and Crombeen can handle themselves. Winnipeg has a couple guys that are gritty. I think Carolina may be the softest at the moment, at least.

I agree with you, the only player who fights on a regular basis is Tim Gleason. Jay Harrison will drop his gloves sometimes and Anthony Stewart will too.

But it's pretty pathetic how soft they are, they should consider signing Brad Winchester if they're not interested in a enforcer. At least he's a decent player.

Bruise Bros 2426

Jul 17, 2011
I agree with you, the only player who fights on a regular basis is Tim Gleason. Jay Harrison will drop his gloves sometimes and Anthony Stewart will too.

But it's pretty pathetic how soft they are, they should consider signing Brad Winchester if they're not interested in a enforcer. At least he's a decent player.
Yeah, there are still guys out there that can add that element of snarl that they're missing. Yeah, Gleason fought 5 times last year. Stewart, surprisingly, didn't fight all that much last year. They've acquired quite a bit of skill over the summer, with Staal and Semin, now they need to add some sandpaper to their lineup.

What are your thoughts about Dallas? Lost Burish and Dowell, but still have Benn and Morrow up front and Fistric at the blueline. Don't know much about Garbutt or any of their young guys.

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Yeah, there are still guys out there that can add that element of snarl that they're missing. Yeah, Gleason fought 5 times last year. Stewart, surprisingly, didn't fight all that much last year. They've acquired quite a bit of skill over the summer, with Staal and Semin, now they need to add some sandpaper to their lineup.

What are your thoughts about Dallas? Lost Burish and Dowell, but still have Benn and Morrow up front and Fistric at the blueline. Don't know much about Garbutt or any of their young guys.

They're a team who look to be a serious contender, they have dropped Burish and Dowell so they can get Jagr and Whitney (I assume that they have a pretty full roster?). They traded away Steve Ott so they could get Derek Roy, it seems like Joe Nieuwendyk wants this franchise to win a cup and he's willing to give up grit in order to do it.

He's willing to let go of tougher players so he can land the more skilled players.

Bruise Bros 2426

Jul 17, 2011
They're a team who look to be a serious contender, they have dropped Burish and Dowell so they can get Jagr and Whitney (I assume that they have a pretty full roster?). They traded away Steve Ott so they could get Derek Roy, it seems like Joe Nieuwendyk wants this franchise to win a cup and he's willing to give up grit in order to do it.

He's willing to let go of tougher players so he can land the more skilled players.
Forgot he traded Ott away, too. They've acquired a significant amount of skill, no doubt. Garbutt seems like a gritty guy, watching some videos of him. He'll most likely center the 4th line. Nystrom is a physical guy, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad