Confirmed with Link: Soderberg to Avs - 5yrs @ 4.75AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK Avs

Nov 29, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I like this move. Soda seems like ROR-lite, which is fine because MacK should be able to take 2nd line center duties, leaving Soda to the 3rd, with flexibility. Now we don't really need to focus on replacing ROR in the ROR trade.

Curious, what's his eye issue?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Mike Chambers ‏@MikeChambers 17s18 seconds ago
Soderberg contract has been signed, #Avs say

Thanks for all your hard work Mike.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
A little overpaid but he will also be great depth for our top 6 when injuries happen.
I really like how Sakic went about making this happened.

Good work so far.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I like this move. Soda seems like ROR-lite, which is fine because MacK should be able to take 2nd line center duties, leaving Soda to the 3rd, with flexibility. Now we don't really need to focus on replacing ROR in the ROR trade.

He's a cyclops.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
cannibal_still02.jpg

Kudos if you have ever seen this movie.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think he got .75 more than I would have liked but we still got him cheaper than if we had to bid on him in free agency. The aggressive move paid off here.

While I don't think he'll replace ROR either offensively or defensively, he's going to be a fantastic fit. He's big, he's got very good playmaking ability and can play either 3C or LW.

I just hope we still look to add another top 9 FW on the right side. Maybe Eric Fehr?

Uh. Please not.
Fehr + Soderberg together would probably cost us more than ROR + ELC.

And that wouldn't really sit well with me.
I think the focus in the draft will lie at forward (with the 1st hopefully being the exception) and we need every $ for our extensions and the elusive UFA D they will try to land.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

From what I understand he's blind in his left eye from taking a high stick to it many years ago. He's adapted to it, the brain can pretty much accommodate and adapt but he just has to be careful of some things. I read he can play LW but definitely not on the right. Teammates have to communicate with him more and just make sure he doesn't get stuck on the right side.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Mike Chambers ‏@MikeChambers 17s18 seconds ago
Soderberg contract has been signed, #Avs say

Thanks for all your hard work Mike.

I don't get it. Is he stuck in a time warp? It's the Internet age Mike! **** moves fast this is old news.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Uh. Please not.
Fehr + Soderberg together would probably cost us more than ROR + ELC.

And that wouldn't really sit well with me.
I think the focus in the draft will lie at forward (with the 1st hopefully being the exception) and we need every $ for our extensions and the elusive UFA D they will try to land.
Ha, does anything? I seriously don't think I've seen you be happy with a move by this regime...ever. Everything always is negative.

I don't think the Avs will go for another forward, unless they come cheap. They're going to focus on defense. Sakic has said so himself.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
From what I understand he's blind in his left eye from taking a high stick to it many years ago. He's adapted to it, the brain can pretty much accommodate and adapt but he just has to be careful of some things. I read he can play LW but definitely not on the right. Teammates have to communicate with him more and just make sure he doesn't get stuck on the right side.

Disappointed that we haven't seen any "We replaced O'Reilly with a blind dude? Oh come on!" comments on twitter or on here.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
PuckDaddy educating us:

"If O’Reilly is done in Colorado, this seems to follow the Avs method of replacing higher-end younger players with less solid older guys. For example Paul Stastny, who bolted to St. Louis as a UFA last summer, was essentially replaced by Danny Briere. And that didn't work out so hot for Colorado."

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
PuckDaddy educating us:

"If O’Reilly is done in Colorado, this seems to follow the Avs method of replacing higher-end younger players with less solid older guys. For example Paul Stastny, who bolted to St. Louis as a UFA last summer, was essentially replaced by Danny Briere. And that didn't work out so hot for Colorado."

They could have at least tried to be accurate with the Iginla/Stastny swap...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
PuckDaddy educating us:

Yeah that's it. Definitely not the guy who scored 29 goals.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
PuckDaddy educating us:

Cooper has said that in a few articles now. He's clueless.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
PuckDaddy educating us:

Yes, PuckIdiot, we replaced Stastny with Briere...:laugh:

It is unbelievable how stupid some of these hockey writers are.

member 116861

Probably a few hundred thousand too much and a couple years too many but overall I'm incredibly happy with this entire move.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Ha, does anything? I seriously don't think I've seen you be happy with a move by this regime...ever. Everything always is negative.

I don't think the Avs will go for another forward, unless they come cheap. They're going to focus on defense. Sakic has said so himself.

So far I am liking that they finally seem to be serious about pulling the trigger on ROR. In that context I also very much like that they got and signed Soderberg although I am not a huge fan of his contract but as long as it frees up ROR for a trade, I would consider it a good move.

I also have liked the extensions to our key players (Varly, Duchene, Landeskog,etc.). I even liked Barries deal last year which might come back to bite us but still. I also liked the Bleackley pick.

I also liked the Tanguay trade.

Yeah. Most of the rest I did not really like. And in hindsight I have to say that my batting average is pretty decent over the last 12-15 months.

I hated the trades for Talbot , Stuart, Berra, Stastny mess,keeping Hejda, extensions to our scrubs and that 2 year ROR deal.

The only thing that really turned out better than expected so far has been Iggy.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
http://www.tsn.ca/soderberg-could-be-insurance-for-avs-1.318596
Soderberg, 29, has been a fine complementary centre, putting up 94 points in 161 games during two-plus years with the Bruins. He hasn't been a great possession player overall, but the 6-foot-3, 216-pound pivot fared well when given the opportunity to play with fellow Swede Loui Eriksson in Boston.

In Colorado, Soderberg fits behind Matt Duchene as a second-line centre, and that's going to give Soderberg the chance to play with some skilled linemates. As more of a playmaker than finisher, Soderberg should help facilitate the offence for Avalanche shooters like Gabriel Landeskog, Nathan MacKinnon and Jarome Iginla.

Soderberg comes at fair value, signed to a five-year, $23.5-million contract. It's no bargain, but a reasonable price for a second-line centre. The test on value will be in how Soderberg ages as an NHL player. By the last year of the deal, he will be 34, so decline will certainly be expected to set in, but he also didn't arrive in the NHL full-time until he was 28-years-old, so Soderberg doesn't necessarily have the same wear on his body that a typical 30-year-old NHLer would have. If he can't contribute as a top-six forward in the last couple years of this contract, that's less than ideal, but not calamitous if Soderberg is at least a regular in Colorado's top nine.

In a vacuum, this move makes the Avalanche a better team, adding an established NHL forward before the free agent market gets into full swing, but it also appears to be a move with an eye towards another. With Colorado apparently having difficulty coming to an agreement on a new contract with Ryan O'Reilly, who is slated to be a free agent next summer, the addition of Soderberg by the Avalanche sure seems like a pre-emptive action so that Colorado can trade O'Reilly, perhaps to acquire much-needed defensive help.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Good job getting him signed for less than 5m.

Now that the Avs have signed Yeti it's time to ditch Bernie and bring back Howler :D

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Sherman must be back in charge of negotiating contracts.
I expected him to get 5.25-5.5 considering his age and productivity.

Definitely excited about the move and the team signing him long term.

Qurpiz

Nudes in bio
Nov 5, 2006
I have to ask y'all something

In the Trade Rumours board, there's been arguments that Soderberg will improve on his point totals playing with Landeskog and MacKinnon, no argument better linemates he had in Boston

On the other hand, there's people saying he'll be the 3C behind Duchene and MacKinnon, with Mitchell at 4C.

So which will it be?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I have to ask y'all something

In the Trade Rumours board, there's been arguments that Soderberg will improve on his point totals playing with Landeskog and MacKinnon, no argument better linemates he had in Boston

On the other hand, there's people saying he'll be the 3C behind Duchene and MacKinnon, with Mitchell at 4C.

So which will it be?

Probably depends on how MacK does at center. If MacK struggles, Soderberg moves up. If MacK thrives, Soderberg will probably be paired with Everberg and somebody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad