Confirmed with Link: Soderberg to Avs - 5yrs @ 4.75AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Wonder what the plan is. Is he the big two-way center Roy wanted on the third line? He's solid defensively, not particularly good on faceoffs, and doesn't kill penalties (for BOS he didn't). So I'm not sure he can be counted on to be a shutdown center or anything. Maybe roll three scoring lines or have him center Landeskog/MacKinnon?

Elite Prospects had this to say back when he played in Sweden:
A rather complete and well-rounded player. Söderberg is a very talented and highly skilled center with good two-way ability. He has excellent hockey sense, decent nose for the net and fine playmaking ability. Release is good and so are his technical skills and creativity. Not the fastest of skaters, but feet are still pretty good. Controls the puck very comfortably with his reach. Valuable in short-handed situations.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Or, they saw that no one wanted him, and his contract, and took an offer that got them out of it one year earlier.

I just find it exhausting that you're still beating this drum (and the Stuart trade drum) almost a year later...and this is supposed to be a thread about Soderberg.

It didnt bring it up. But I guess it would have been OK if I commented that the trade looks awesome. You're the one making a big deal out of it.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It didnt bring it up. But I guess it would have been OK if I commented that the trade looks awesome. You're the one making a big deal out of it.

Not making a big deal, pointing out that you're still harping on moves made over a year ago...

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Elite Prospects had this to say back when he played in Sweden:

He has played no PK in the NHL. He did in Sweden and especially Malmo. But that's basically cause he was the best player on his team in any situation. He should have been a start in the 1st division but decided to stay with Malmo in the 2nd way too long.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think that's a pretty good deal considering this is essentially a UFA signing.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
He has played no PK in the NHL. He did in Sweden and especially Malmo. But that's basically cause he was the best player on his team in any situation. He should have been a start in the 1st division but decided to stay with Malmo in the 2nd way too long.

I see.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Everyone in here should be stoked by this signing at the amount we signed him for. We basically just signed the best center on the market for under 5M for 5 years. This is a great deal. And I think people are selling him short on the offensive side of things. We're talking about a guy who has put up 48 and 44 points respectively in his 2 NHL seasons including over 30 assists each year. Those aren't 3rd line numbers.

This guy was brought in to be RORs replacement and I think he will do just fine, would not be too surprised to see him put up a ROR caliber offensive year next year around 55pts.

This is going to be one of, if not the, best UFA signings in the entire league. Its going to fly under the radar but is really going to help our team.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
like the aggressive move to get his rights. like that we signed him even more. 4.75 per isn't bad at all. sakic is learning like a young grasshopper

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Everyone in here should be stoked by this signing at the amount we signed him for. We basically just signed the best center on the market for under 5M for 5 years. This is a great deal. And I think people are selling him short on the offensive side of things. We're talking about a guy who has put up 48 and 44 points respectively in his 2 NHL seasons including over 30 assists each year. Those aren't 3rd line numbers.

This guy was brought in to be RORs replacement and I think he will do just fine, would not be too surprised to see him put up a ROR caliber offensive year next year around 55pts.

This is going to be one of, if not the, best UFA signings in the entire league. Its going to fly under the radar but is really going to help our team.

I agree Chet.

Soderberg has been playing with Eriksson and Chris Kelly for the full 2 years he's been here, and was able to put up 45-50 Pts.

Having Landeskog and Mackinnon should help immensely.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Seeing so much "overpaid" (well duh, signing essentially a UFA will be an "overpayment" most of the time, that's how this player contract market works) and a lot of "should've just used that money to pay O'Reilly" without taking into consideration anything else like term or nearly 3 million in cap space (if what we're hearing about Radar wanting 60x8 is correct) to make other signings.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Literally on Mt Princeton right now and I saw the alert. Seems like ror is gone. Shame about him but I like this signing a lot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So one positive that nobody is discussing here... we all know that Sakic can multitask! :naughty:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Soderberg is an early "UFA Day" present for us. I can realistically see us going after 1 Defenseman, with the money left over, on UFA Day. Likely Oduya, but would like to see Sekera attempted first.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Incredible asset management by Sakic here. Takes Downie who was a UFA to be and gets Talbot for him, and we all know anything is better than nothing.

Then takes Talbot and gets a prospect plus a pick. Then returns said pick for a much better player they're going to actually re-sign.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Roy and Sakic really liked the idea of 3 good lines to roll with, and even if ROR is traded still allows for

tanguay duchene iginla
landeskog mackinnon x
mcginn yeti everberg
highander mitchell x

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Depends on if MacKinnon is ready for center yet
..not relying on draft/further UFA
If so

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-McGinn
Mitchell-Soderberg-Everberg
McLeod-Cliche/Winchester/Hishon-Bordeleau

that fourth line is still scary...potentially switch Hishon and Mitchell though

if not

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-Soderberg-MacKinnon
McGinn-Mitchell-Everberg
McLeod-Winchester/Cliche/Hishon-Bordeleau

...seriously, am I forgetting a 4th liner? I don't like McLeod and bords both in

wait....Caron, yeah, maybe I'm ok with Bords and McLeod both in

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Depends on if MacKinnon is ready for center yet
..not relying on draft/further UFA
If so

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-McGinn
Mitchell-Soderberg-Everberg
McLeod-Cliche/Winchester/Hishon-Bordeleau

that fourth line is still scary...potentially switch Hishon and Mitchell though

if not

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-Soderberg-MacKinnon
McGinn-Mitchell-Everberg
McLeod-Winchester/Cliche/Hishon-Bordeleau

...seriously, am I forgetting a 4th liner? I don't like McLeod and bords both in

wait....Caron, yeah, maybe I'm ok with Bords and McLeod both in

Thought Hamilton looked decent in his stint on the fourth line. Should spend some time in the AHL though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad