Sochi 2014

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Dadonov has a shot, but Russia is REALLY deep at his position.

The most interesting position for this roster is defense.

It seems that Russia has plenty of offensive-minded D prospects, but not so much of defensive-minded blue-liners.

Kulikov, Orlov, Voynov, Goncharov, Chudinov, Rylov, Marchenko, Alexandrov, Nesterov and Yarullin are all talented young blue-liners that have a chance to be on the roster, but they all are at their best as offensive play-makers.

The story is the same for the top Russian veteran defensemen.

This roster could really benefit greatly from having some defensive-minded blue-liners. Unfortunately, there aren't that many of those for Russia to chose from.

Volchenkov, Tyutin and Yemelin are the best choices. Valentenko, Nikitin and Arzamastsev are possible, if they improve.

I really hope we won't have to rely on defensive pairings of Grebeshkov-Korneev again. :(

Yarullin, Arzamastsev and Marchenko imho are more defensive-minded, yeah Marchenko might mature into a good PP player, but he's a two-way guy, however, I highly doubt that they will have a chance to play in Sochi, after all it's just 2 years and half away...the situation is that Yarullin plays in the MHL, Arzamastsev plays on a bad KHL team and is light-years from a NT call, Marchenko might have a shot, but a very long one, imho.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Grachev was never considered a "HUGE" prospect. He didn't compare well to major Russian prospects of the past decade at 17. He had an interesting skillset and potential, but he was never this mega prospect.

Vasyunov? Pfft he was nothing since he was 17. Hyped early, fell in the rankings in his draft year, struggled to perform in Russia before he came to the AHL, where he performed poorly there. Considering he was touted as an Offensive dynamo at 16/17, his development in Russia onwards was poor. Obviously RIP, but Vasyunov wasn't ruined as a prospect in NA ; he never developed after early dominance.

I'm sorry, I agree with CSKA on this

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I am sorry, but you opinion is based on NA pov, I am speaking the way we see them here. Grachev was highly touted prospec in Russia, so, may he rest in peace, was Vasyunov.

In the WJC 2009, I thought Grachev showed every bit as much talent as the big Canadian stars, like Tavares. He reminded me of (if you will forgive me for saying so) Aleksandr Yakushev, and maybe a little of Malkin. Big and tall, fluid and fast skater, gifted in handling the puck and a blazing shot with high accuracy. Now, he seems to have disappeared into a hole. I don't know what his prospects are of playing in the NHL this year, but another season in the AHL will only degrade his skills.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Yarullin, Arzamastsev and Marchenko imho are more defensive-minded, yeah Marchenko might mature into a good PP player, but he's a two-way guy, however, I highly doubt that they will have a chance to play in Sochi, after all it's just 2 years and half away...the situation is that Yarullin plays in the MHL, Arzamastsev plays on a bad KHL team and is light-years from a NT call, Marchenko might have a shot, but a very long one, imho.

Yeah, I'm not expecting those guys to be there.

You view Yarullin as defensive-minded? I would say that, from what I've seen, his play-making ability is ahead of his D.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Dadonov has a shot, but Russia is REALLY deep at his position.

The most interesting position for this roster is defense.

It seems that Russia has plenty of offensive-minded D prospects, but not so much of defensive-minded blue-liners.

Kulikov, Orlov, Voynov, Goncharov, Chudinov, Rylov, Marchenko, Alexandrov, Nesterov and Yarullin are all talented young blue-liners that have a chance to be on the roster, but they all are at their best as offensive play-makers.

The story is the same for the top Russian veteran defensemen.

This roster could really benefit greatly from having some defensive-minded blue-liners. Unfortunately, there aren't that many of those for Russia to chose from.

Volchenkov, Tyutin and Yemelin are the best choices. Valentenko, Nikitin and Arzamastsev are possible, if they improve.

I really hope we won't have to rely on defensive pairings of Grebeshkov-Korneev again. :(

IMO, offensive-minded defensemen won't be as big a liability on the big ice at Sochi as they would on NHL ice like Vancouver.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
In the WJC 2009, I thought Grachev showed every bit as much talent as the big Canadian stars, like Tavares. He reminded me of (if you will forgive me for saying so) Aleksandr Yakushev, and maybe a little of Malkin. Big and tall, fluid and fast skater, gifted in handling the puck and a blazing shot with high accuracy. Now, he seems to have disappeared into a hole. I don't know what his prospects are of playing in the NHL this year, but another season in the AHL will only degrade his skills.

I don't think Grachev was ever considered to have Tavares' offensive upside. Grachev has immense physical tools that he dominated junior with, but he's lacking somewhat in hockey sense.

His physical skills will always be there. He should have stayed in Russia and developed the aspect of his game that is now lacking instead of fighting through checks in the AHL.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Grachev's hands were always kind of questionable.

I remember that great 2009 WJC Semifinal vs. Canada. One of the most memorable moments during that game (and there were many) was Grachev missing an open net.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Grachev's hands were always kind of questionable.

I remember that great 2009 WJC Semifinal vs. Canada. One of the most memorable moments during that game (and there were many) was Grachev missing an open net.

I remember his breakaway goal at the beginning of the Third Period to tie the game.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I'll update my musings on the matter. Mostly in terms of forward lines that I think would be interesting:

Kovlachuk-Burmistrov-Kuznetsov
Semin-Malkin-Kulemin
Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Radulov
Tikhonov-Anisimov-Tarasenko

Potential challengers at centre include Grigorenko and Loktionov, but they have a lot of catching up to do if they hope to be at a stage in their development that allows to challenge Burmistrov/Anisimov for a spot. Kuznetsov can also always be moved to centre - it is not entirely clear what position he will specialize in over the next couple seasons.

Apart from my projection for Tikhonov and the asumption that Kuznetsov and Tarasenko will continue to develop as expected, the biggest question marks on the wing are Semin and Kulemin - both of whom are having substandard seasons. Recovering their offensive production will be essential to them making the team. You will also perhaps say that Kulemin doesn't belong on a scoring line and needs to be used in a 4th line checking role even when he is completely on his game. And while I agree to a certain extent, I also think that he is a good complimentary player (lines composed entirely of superstars seldom work), and simply wish to re-unite him with Malkin. Otherwise, Yakupov and Petrov are the frontrunners among the group of youngsters playing catch-up on the wing in this instance. And established players like Zherdev, Perezhogin, and Shirokov who are currently on the cusp of an optimal national lineup can also challenge for a spot if anyone should falter. I also sincerely hope that Frolov rediscovers his game.

Last edited:

Fulcrum

I'll update my musings on the matter. Mostly in terms of forward lines that I think would be interesting:

Kovlachuk-Burmistrov-Kuznetsov
Semin-Malkin-Kulemin
Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Radulov
Tikhonov-Anisimov-Tarasenko

Potential challengers at centre include Grigorenko and Loktionov, but they have a lot of catching up to do if they hope to be at a stage in their development that allows to challenge Burmistrov/Anisimov for a spot. Kuznetsov can also always be moved to centre - it is not entirely clear what position he will specialize in over the next couple seasons.

Apart from my projection for Tikhonov and the asumption that Kuznetsov and Tarasenko will continue to develop as expected, the biggest question marks on the wing are Semin and Kulemin - both of whom are having substandard seasons. Recovering their offensive production will be essential to them making the team. You will also perhaps say that Kulemin doesn't belong on a scoring line and needs to be used in a 4th line checking role even when he is completely on his game. And while I agree to a certain extent, I also think that he is a good complimentary player (lines composed entirely of superstars seldom work), and simply wish to re-unite him with Malkin. Otherwise, Yakupov and Petrov are the frontrunners among the group of youngsters playing catch-up on the wing in this instance. And established players like Zherdev, Perezhogin, and Shirokov who are currently on the cusp of an optimal national lineup can also challenge for a spot if anyone should falter. I also sincerely hope that Frolov rediscovers his game.

I've seen enough of Tikhonov this season to say that his raw skills are lacking at the moment. He was a very good player during his WJC but it looks like he lost his creative touch since then. If he doesn't improve, I don't think he'll make- considering the likes of Grigorenko and Yakupov.

Here's a name I never thought I would say- Zherdev. IF he gets his head on straight (seems like he is on the right track), he definitely has the skills to complement the team. I like him during the latest Eurotour stage.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Kuznetsov and Tarasenko don't really need to develop much more to be considered among the favorites to make the roster. They are both already among the best players in KHL.

Another player that might challange is Schipachev. He is having an excellent season and will probably play at the World Championship. We'll see how he does.

Among the defensemen, one guy that I personally like that never gets mentioned is Denis Denisov. He doesn't have all the flashy offensive skills, but he is reliable in the defensive zone.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I'll agree with Alessandro that defense is the most interesting part of this future team, with the most unanswered questions. It is mainly a question of whether younger players currently on the verge of establishing themselves in the NHL (Orlov, Voynov, Emelin) manage to do it convincingly enough to displace the current veterans. Personally, I am a strong proponent of a 7-man defense for the added flexibility it gives, but considering that Russia is most likely to go with 8 - I will predict accordingly. I will also leave Markov out of the prediction, merely because his future is currently beyond assessment. Anyways:

Kulikov-Nikulin
Voynov-Chudinov
Tyutin-Nikitin
Orlov-Volchenkov

With, under favourable circumstances for both, the possibility of a Markov-Emelin pairing. The first replacement for any player not able to consistently prove themselves on a higher level over the next two years (Chudinov, and to a lesser extent Orlov/Voynov) or fading with wear and tear (Volchenkov) would be Korneev. In this case, he would be paired with Nikulin.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Anisimov
Burmistrov
Datsyuk
Grachev
Grigorenko
Kovlachuk
Kuznetsov
Kulemin
Malkin
Ovechkin
Radulov
Tarasenko
Yakupov

Kulikov
Nikitin
Orlov
Tyutin
Voynov
Volchenkov
Yemelin

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Emelin would need to significantly improve his positioning and puck-moving ability to be on the roster imo.

Yes, he is a great hitter, but that's an overrated quality, especially on big ice.

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
i'd be surprised if the guy who was injured in the olympics didn't make the team, i'd never heard of him before, but was insanely impressed, i think he was number 42, but i'm not 100%

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
Lets see the likely players from a Olympic Hockey Experience Perspective. In brackets are players who were in the roster. Obviously some players did not play(Bryz 02,Varlamov10).

Ovechkin(06,10)
Kovalchuk(02,06,10)
Datsyuk(02,06,10)
Radulov(10)
Semin(10)
Malkin(06,10)
Kulemin(-)
Kuznetsov(-)
Tarasenko(-)
Burmistrov(-)
Anisimov(-)
Yakupov(-)
Grigorenko(-)
Shipachyov(-)

I am also a big fan of Vadim Shipachyov and Russia needs Centre's so you never know what can happen in 2 years.

Not sure who will make it from Yakup/Grig. Personally I prefer Grigorenko but Yakupov is more explosive.

Defense-
Markov(06,10)
Kulikov(-)
Volchenkov(06,10)
Orlov(-)
Emelin(-) I see him coming good by 2014.
Tyutin(06,10),
Goncharov(-)
Voinov(-)
Marchenko(-)

Goalies-
Bryzgalov(02,06,10)
Varlamov(10)
Bobrovsky(-)

Fulcrum

Defense-
Markov(06,10)
Kulikov(-)
Volchenkov(06,10)
Orlov(-)
Emelin(-) I see him coming good by 2014.
Tyutin(06,10),
Goncharov(-)
Voinov(-)
Marchenko(-)

Goalies-
Bryzgalov(02,06,10)
Varlamov(10)
Bobrovsky(-)

Good list, Nikitin is also playing pretty well right now. Solid defender.

Yakupov and Grigorenko are still at junior level and will need to elevate their game significantly. But they can probably do it.

I remember watching the 2010 WJC in Ottawa, at the time - there wasn't a doubt in my mind that Grachev and Filatov would be leaders for NT along with Ovi and so on.. :( things are the opposite at the moment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad