D.Medvedev(a)-Putin(c)-A.Medvedev
Abramovitch-Prokhorov-Kadyrov(a)
Shevchenko-Surkov-Tolstoy
Sobyanin-Kudrin-Mutko
A.Fursenko

Unbeatable "united" team.

And their song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbB1s7TZUQk

i dont know why, but it wasnt amusing at all. :huh: you can do definitely better than this.

Fulcrum

Russian 2014 Olympic Hopefuls

I Just wanted to start a thread about the Olympic prospects for 2014 so we can "draw" the circle of all the hopefuls in one thread. Since this would be the most important tournament for Russian hockey in the foreseeable future..

There is going to be a lot of changes between now and 2014 for the NT, but it makes sense to at least round-out a group or realistic candidates for the NT.

I think that the players like the ZZM line will be moving on completely. Naturally, they should not be in Sochi come 2014, and if they are- that means we would really lack young talent (which will not be the case). Also players like Afinogenov, Mozyakin should not be within calibre.

Assuming that Malkin, Ovi, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk and Radulov are staples on the team, there are quiet a few spots to fill.

So, here's the list, IMO of the prospects ranked most likely to make the cut:

-Anisimov - not really a prospect, but he's still developing
-Kuznetsov
-Tarasenko
-Yakupov
-Burmistrov
-Grigorenko
-Gusev(?)! - According to an interview from FHR, Belyaletdinov personally notified Gusev that he is watching him for 2014
-Kucherov
-Filatov - If he plays like we all know he can
-Orlov
-Marchenko

All the other prospects that I can think of lack that top-end Elite talent to project for the NT. Although you never know... they could be outstanding right around the time, and average all other season.

Am I forgetting anyone? We can update this thread as prospects develop- and have something to look back at when the Olympics get going...

Also, Semin should be on the team- but I wouldn't consider him a "staple" at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
The NA guys like Bobrovsky, Voynov, Loktionov, and Dadonov will be interesting to follow. I imagine at least one of these players will head back to KHL.

Night_Vole

Mar 25, 2007
T dot
Ideally something like this, bold are locks

Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin
Kovalchuk-Malkin-Radulov

Tarasenko- Anisimov-Kulemin
Kuznetsov-Kaigorodov/Burmistrov- Afinoganov
Artyukhin

Markov-Nikulin
Kulikov-Tyutin
Grebeshkov-Volchenkov
Orlov/Voinov (Hopefully one of them will be ready in time)

Bryz
Varlamov
Bobrovsky

Forwards look really good, a lot of talent and most of them should be in their prime. I didn't include guys like Yakupov because they are too young, realistically Kuznetsov and Burmistrov are kinda hard to call right now and may have to be replaced with more experienced reliable players when the time comes ( though I expect that at least one of them should be ready by then)

Goaltending is solid

Defense is somewhat thin, likely no Gonchar as he will too old. This leaves Markov as our only star on defense; makes me think that Kulikov really needs to step up and become that number 1-2 D-man or we are in trouble. The rest should be a solid if unspectacular group. Hopefully Orlov or someone like that can emerge in time but with our recent history of D-man I'm not gonna be holding my breath.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
I really hope Orlov is ready in time, but I don't know, his next season will likely be spent majorily in the AHL, the following should be a full year in the NHL, and then the following year is the olympics.

Our D looks to be thin again.

Fulcrum

Ideally something like this, bold are locks

Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin
Kovalchuk-Malkin-Radulov

Tarasenko- Anisimov-Kulemin
Kuznetsov-Kaigorodov/Burmistrov- Afinoganov
Artyukhin

Markov-Nikulin
Kulikov-Tyutin
Grebeshkov-Volchenkov
Orlov/Voinov (Hopefully one of them will be ready in time)

Bryz
Varlamov
Bobrovsky

Forwards look really good, a lot of talent and most of them should be in their prime. I didn't include guys like Yakupov because they are too young, realistically Kuznetsov and Burmistrov are kinda hard to call right now and may have to be replaced with more experienced reliable players when the time comes ( though I expect that at least one of them should be ready by then)

Goaltending is solid

Defense is somewhat thin, likely no Gonchar as he will too old. This leaves Markov as our only star on defense; makes me think that Kulikov really needs to step up and become that number 1-2 D-man or we are in trouble. The rest should be a solid if unspectacular group. Hopefully Orlov or someone like that can emerge in time but with our recent history of D-man I'm not gonna be holding my breath.

I don't think Afinogenov should make the team. Especially in 2014. He is already on the back-end of his career and his explosiveness is just becoming average right now. There are so many young top talent wingers that can step into that position. Kucherov, Gusev, even Filatov come to mind. But most certainly Yakupov, he will be 21 at that point, if I'm not mistaken, and there are high hopes for him.

I also don't think Kulyomin should be a lock. Sure, he is a solid NHL 1st/2nd line right now, but If he has a down season they wouldn't invite him. If Ovi had an off season, for example, he would still make it- that's what you call a lock.

I don't think Kaigorodov will make it, I would rather see even Grigorenko, who will be 20 yrs old at the time. Or whoever else steps up in NHL that season.

I would also pick Orlov, Marchenko, Voynov, Arzamastsev make the team instead of Grebeshkov and maybe even Tyutin. All of those guys have higher projected ceilings. Also Emelin might make a real impact.

Fulcrum

I really hope Orlov is ready in time, but I don't know, his next season will likely be spent majorily in the AHL, the following should be a full year in the NHL, and then the following year is the olympics.

Our D looks to be thin again.

Maybe we can ask Fetisov to step in for a few games...

Night_Vole

Mar 25, 2007
T dot
I don't think Afinogenov should make the team. Especially in 2014. He is already on the back-end of his career and his explosiveness is just becoming average right now. There are so many young top talent wingers that can step into that position. Kucherov, Gusev, even Filatov come to mind. But most certainly Yakupov, he will be 21 at that point, if I'm not mistaken, and there are high hopes for him.

I also don't think Kulyomin should be a lock. Sure, he is a solid NHL 1st/2nd line right now, but If he has a down season they wouldn't invite him. If Ovi had an off season, for example, he would still make it- that's what you call a lock.

I don't think Kaigorodov will make it, I would rather see even Grigorenko, who will be 20 yrs old at the time. Or whoever else steps up in NHL that season.

I would also pick Orlov, Marchenko, Voynov, Arzamastsev make the team instead of Grebeshkov and maybe even Tyutin. All of those guys have higher projected ceilings. Also Emelin might make a real impact.

Max was sort of a pick em, was at the top my head, he is easily substituted by any vet winger.

Kulemin should be on the team because he is one of the few players that brings good intangibles.

Emelin is certainly has a chance, I will closely be watching him on my habs this year.

The point though is that u cannot have so many unproven players on ur olympic squad. U need guys who have been through it before and know how to come togather for this type of tournament. For instance Yakupov will play junior next year than some kind of split between nhl/ahl the following year. You do not want to be taking a player who has not had a full season in a mjor legue to this type of tourny. You might point out the example of Malkin/Ovechkin who played in Torino, but these are generational players who were already established as leaders of their respective clubs at that point. Even than u don't want more than a couple of these young players because talent only goes so far, u need composure and the ability to preform under preasure.

I'm definetly for having some younger guys, Anisimov and Taresenko should make it and one of burmistrov/kuznetsov. Beyond that, taking any more inexperianced players becomes very risky as u are unsure of how they will preform.

Same idea applies to the D, u listed a bunch of young unproven guys, and it is essentially a pipe dream to be hoping that they all develop in time. Considerring our recent bad histrory of developing defenceman we will be lucky if one of them is ready (I do have really high hopes for Kulikov however, he and Markov will be the center pieces that hold togather our patchwork D)

Fulcrum

Max was sort of a pick em, was at the top my head, he is easily substituted by any vet winger.

Kulemin should be on the team because he is one of the few players that brings good intangibles.

Emelin is certainly has a chance, I will closely be watching him on my habs this year.

The point though is that u cannot have so many unproven players on ur olympic squad. U need guys who have been through it before and know how to come togather for this type of tournament. For instance Yakupov will play junior next year than some kind of split between nhl/ahl the following year. You do not want to be taking a player who has not had a full season in a mjor legue to this type of tourny. You might point out the example of Malkin/Ovechkin who played in Torino, but these are generational players who were already established as leaders of their respective clubs at that point. Even than u don't want more than a couple of these young players because talent only goes so far, u need composure and the ability to preform under preasure.

I'm definetly for having some younger guys, Anisimov and Taresenko should make it and one of burmistrov/kuznetsov. Beyond that, taking any more inexperianced players becomes very risky as u are unsure of how they will preform.

Same idea applies to the D, u listed a bunch of young unproven guys, and it is essentially a pipe dream to be hoping that they all develop in time. Considerring our recent bad histrory of developing defenceman we will be lucky if one of them is ready (I do have really high hopes for Kulikov however, he and Markov will be the center pieces that hold togather our patchwork D)

3 Years is quiet some time in hockey. Kuznetsov, for example, can go from being an inexperienced rookie to a team leader. Even Yakupov, next year can be a Rookie the NHL, and in 2 years it's very possible that he will turn into a team leader. Much like Stamkos did for TBL.

But don't take my word for it, Belyaletdinov set out his scouting assignment to follow Yakupov and the likes closely. Those players should strive to be on the Olympic team because of their talent, and the Russian NT coaches should strive to bring them up as soon as possible.

Better to have talented young guys, with energy and zest, than a drabby old experienced guys ala Canada 2006, Russia 2010.

Young players can certainly thrive under pressure too, some people forget that. Think Granlund in the last WC, who single handedly denied the all-star Russian team the Gold Medal.

The way I see it, you need 1 or 2 vets on the team to keep everyone in check, the bulk of the team made up of 26-27 year olds at their peak, and 2-3 young guns to spur everyone on.

pouskin74*

These games will be on european rinks, so no need to have a players like Artyuhkin! If Yakupov and Grigorenko are the real ones then they definitely should make the team! So i think:
Forwards-
Ovechkin 28, Kovalchuk 30 ,Datsyuk 35,Radulov 27,Semin 29,Malkin 27,Kulemin 27,Yakupov 20,Grigorenko 19,Kuznetsov 22,Tarasenko 23 and Anisimov 25
Defense-
Markov 35,Kulikov 24,Tyutin 30,Volchenkov 31,Orlov 23,Goncharov 24,Voinov 24 and Marchenko 22
Goalies-
Bryzgalov 34, Varlamov 25 and Bobrovsky 24

yunost

May 13, 2010
I seriously hope that the players that will be picked are compatible. I dont care for the name or status. This is team Russia and the team has to be like clockwork. Not the best 25 people available based on statistics. Not stupid long passes and misunderstanding, but what was clearly demonstrated by the U-20's. Determination, perseverance and everything else. Bilyaledinov should be like Detroit and devise a clear strategy and gameplan. He should then scout and 'draft' exactly the players for those specific positions on the team. Then everybody understands their role.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
I seriously hope that the players that will be picked are compatible. I dont care for the name or status. This is team Russia and the team has to be like clockwork. Not the best 25 people available based on statistics. Not stupid long passes and misunderstanding, but what was clearly demonstrated by the U-20's. Determination,perseverance and everything else. Bilyaledinov should be like Detroit and devise a clear strategy and gameplan. He should then scout and 'draft' exactly the players for those specific positions on the team. Then everybody understands their role.

Agreed.

alex20wild

May 27, 2010
Halifax
What about Grachev? big body, great skater, quick shot. He needs to be given a chance to prove himself, he is a terific scorer

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
What about Grachev? big body, great skater, quick shot. He needs to be given a chance to prove himself, he is a terific scorer

He has the complete package, and yet, maybe because he went to NA too early in his career, he's stuck in the AHL, where he plays against a very average level of competition day in and day out. Most athletes play up or down to the level of competition they face. I know he is only 21, but it seems as though an otherwise great prospect may get stuck in the up and down AHL world.

Fulcrum

Ye, same for Voynov, Goncharov and it looks like Avtsin unfortunately.

Grachev just hit a wall and lost his flare and confindence in the AHL, and so did Filatov.

Looks like Voynov will be back in KHL if he is not traded and atleast gets a fair chance at NHL early this season, according to his latest interview.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Kugryshev was quite a strong prospect before going to the CHL (and now back to CSKA is not ready to perform at all), Grachev was a huge prospect...

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Kugryshev was quite a strong prospect before going to the CHL (and now back to CSKA is not ready to perform at all), Grachev was a huge prospect...

Pretty false. Grachev was a good prospect, but he wasn't anything extraordinary at the time. Considered a late 1st round type prospect. Certainly not an elite one.

Kugryshev absolutely is the type of prospect that needs to stay in Russia longer. Small technically gifted "soft" prospects have a poor track record of success if venturing off to North America too early. Will be interesting to see how Loktionov develops from here. Had significant success in the AHL, but with recent acquisitions is now lower on the depth chart.

Anybody think Dadonov has a chance at this roster? Never really the most hyped prospect in his class, but he's the only one to have made the NHL. Again i really don't think the AHL helped him, but he played very well in his 30 odd games in the NHL. If he can make the roster full time this year, i expect him to develop into a good Offensize player. By the time 2014 rolls around, he'll be 25 so he will have a distinct advantage over some of the younger crowd.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Pretty false. Grachev was a good prospect, but he wasn't anything extraordinary at the time. Considered a late 1st round type prospect. Certainly not an elite one.

Kugryshev absolutely is the type of prospect that needs to stay in Russia longer. Small technically gifted "soft" prospects have a poor track record of success if venturing off to North America too early. Will be interesting to see how Loktionov develops from here. Had significant success in the AHL, but with recent acquisitions is now lower on the depth chart.

Anybody think Dadonov has a chance at this roster? Never really the most hyped prospect in his class, but he's the only one to have made the NHL. Again i really don't think the AHL helped him, but he played very well in his 30 odd games in the NHL. If he can make the roster full time this year, i expect him to develop into a good Offensize player. By the time 2014 rolls around, he'll be 25 so he will have a distinct advantage over some of the younger crowd.

I am sorry, but you opinion is based on NA pov, I am speaking the way we see them here. Grachev was highly touted prospec in Russia, so, may he rest in peace, was Vasyunov.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Dadonov has a shot, but Russia is REALLY deep at his position.

The most interesting position for this roster is defense.

It seems that Russia has plenty of offensive-minded D prospects, but not so much of defensive-minded blue-liners.

Kulikov, Orlov, Voynov, Goncharov, Chudinov, Rylov, Marchenko, Alexandrov, Nesterov and Yarullin are all talented young blue-liners that have a chance to be on the roster, but they all are at their best as offensive play-makers.

The story is the same for the top Russian veteran defensemen.

This roster could really benefit greatly from having some defensive-minded blue-liners. Unfortunately, there aren't that many of those for Russia to chose from.

Volchenkov, Tyutin and Yemelin are the best choices. Valentenko, Nikitin and Arzamastsev are possible, if they improve.

I really hope we won't have to rely on defensive pairings of Grebeshkov-Korneev again. :(

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

It seems that Russia has plenty of offensive-minded D prospects, but not so much of defensive-minded blue-liners.

Kulikov, Orlov, Voynov, Goncharov, Chudinov, Rylov, Marchenko, Alexandrov, Nesterov and Yarullin are all talented young blue-liners that have a chance to be on the roster, but they all are at their best as offensive play-makers.

This roster could really benefit greatly from having some defensive-minded blue-liners. Unfortunately, there aren't that many of those for Russia to chose from.

Volchenkov, Tyutin and Yemelin are the best choices. Valentenko, Nikitin and Arzamastsev are possible, if they improve.

I really hope we won't have to rely on defensive pairings of Grebeshkov-Korneev again. :(

how about Grebeshkov-Kulyash?:cry::cry:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I am sorry, but you opinion is based on NA pov, I am speaking the way we see them here. Grachev was highly touted prospec in Russia, so, may he rest in peace, was Vasyunov.

Grachev was never considered a "HUGE" prospect. He didn't compare well to major Russian prospects of the past decade at 17. He had an interesting skillset and potential, but he was never this mega prospect.

Vasyunov? Pfft he was nothing since he was 17. Hyped early, fell in the rankings in his draft year, struggled to perform in Russia before he came to the AHL, where he performed poorly there. Considering he was touted as an Offensive dynamo at 16/17, his development in Russia onwards was poor. Obviously RIP, but Vasyunov wasn't ruined as a prospect in NA ; he never developed after early dominance.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

Obviously it will depend on he progresses. He'd need to be either scoring very well in the NHL or have a significant role in the KHL if he returns. But i definitely think he has a shot, because he's really one of the very few noteworthy Russian Forwards of the late 80's.

Im a Florida fan, and can say that Kulikov is a 2 way D. He's good Offensively, but he's not amazing. What makes him so promising is that he really could be a complete 2 way guy. You may rely heavily on him to eat minutes and be effective in both ends of the ice.

But yes, the Russian D will IMO look like a trainwreck compared to the US/Swedish/Canadian Defense. There isn't really enough time for many elite D to emerge either considering the current young crop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad