OT: Sochi 2014 Olympics - Hockey Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The quality level for both teams was off the charts. Watching the Sens this year we get so used to guys who can't take passes, lazy back-checking, coughing up the ice in the D zone etc. that this is a breath of fresh air.

What makes Olympic games so much fun to watch isn't necessarily the size of the ice, as the games were just as fun in Vancouver. The main difference with the NHL is the lack of interruptions. Fewer and shorter ad breaks makes for a fluid game that doesn't drag on.

Agreed. Nice fast game...guys who can actually give and receive passes!!...but omg, that ice is a bit too wide, too easy to go into a defensive shell and force everyone to the outside.

The thing that worries me is our scoring chances. Great chances and the guys either miss the net or make and easily savable shot on goal...we have to bury those chances. Lundqvist is a lot harder to score on than Quick.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Canada controlled that game. Nice to see all the naysayers got proven wrong; Canada hasn't been underachieving in this tournament, we've forced other teams to play perfect defence.

Sadly, this is the best part. I still don't know where that sentiment came from.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Gotta say, very disappointed with Canada fans who dissed Team Canada before it even started. You obviously do not know Hockey!

To even further go on to say you are not Patriotic, what a shame.

And you know who you are. :rant:

Congrads to Team Canada! :yo:

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I don't think anyone "dissed" team Canada - but they really didn't play well in the preliminary and squeaked out a 1 goal victory against Latvia. Team USA played much better and it was just logical to assume they'd play well vs Canada as well. I'm glad for Canada, but given what we saw from both teams before today we expected USA to win.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Remember nay-sayers...Carey Price is NOT Ondrej Pavelec. I knew the US's goal-scoring totals were inflated by playing teams with lousy goaltenders and defense. And lo and behold, they score less goals than Latvia.

Also, every Sens fan should go to the main thread and post "Should have brought Bobby Ryan."

lol

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It was a scary game. All the US needed was one fluky/lucky goal, and we could very well be crying in our beer right now.

Reminded me so much of the 1993 playoffs with Montreal. They gave up tons of chances every game and were outplayed the whole playoffs, yet managed to win that Cup on Roy's back.

Golden

Haven't we suffered enough?
May 3, 2007
Remember nay-sayers...Carey Price is NOT Ondrej Pavelec. I knew the US's goal-scoring totals were inflated by playing teams with lousy goaltenders and defense. And lo and behold, they score less goals than Latvia.

Also, every Sens fan should go to the main thread and post "Should have brought Bobby Ryan."

lol

They should have brought Bobby Ryan. ;)

source

Jul 13, 2008
I don't think anyone "dissed" team Canada - but they really didn't play well in the preliminary and squeaked out a 1 goal victory against Latvia. Team USA played much better and it was just logical to assume they'd play well vs Canada as well. I'm glad for Canada, but given what we saw from both teams before today we expected USA to win.

I think too much emphasis was placed on victory margins. Canada has brought it every game, despite their lack of finish.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Gotta say, very disappointed with Canada fans who dissed Team Canada before it even started. You obviously do not know Hockey!

To even further go on to say you are not Patriotic, what a shame.

And you know who you are. :rant:

Congrads to Team Canada! :yo:

I didn't know that the ice was only wider, and not longer. And I also didn't know that the offensive zones are actually smaller than the NHL.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
It was a scary game. All the US needed was one fluky/lucky goal, and we could very well be crying in our beer right now.

Reminded me so much of the 1993 playoffs with Montreal. They gave up tons of chances every game and were outplayed the whole playoffs, yet managed to win that Cup on Roy's back.

Except it's nothing like that at all. Canada is getting ALL the chances and the opposing team is getting next to nothing.

Canada has progressively dominated each game. The scoreboard doesn't show it, but they are facing world-class goaltending.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Except it's nothing like that at all. Canada is getting ALL the chances and the opposing team is getting next to nothing.

Canada has progressively dominated each game. The scoreboard doesn't show it, but they are facing world-class goaltending.

No, I meant was the US was being dominated, just like Montreal was in '93...and it looked like it was going to be a fluke or lucky goal that pushed them through. Just like the games between Toronto-Ottawa the last 2 years as well, where the better team ends up losing.

While it looks good when one team is in one end of the rink like Canada was...it also means your goalie is getting cold, and the likelihood of a bad goal going in the wrong way increases a ton. It's a very good thing our D was clearing rebounds and tying guys up on the few chances the US had.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
I had my doubts about this game before watching the women play yesterday and remembering how intense games can be between these two countries.
Team Canada just turns it up a notch and today looked like a pretty dominant game. Price was amazing.

Bring on Sweden. Karlsson's going down.. I'll cheer for him next week.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario

I disagree. Canada dominated every hame, but played teams that had one goal.... Hang on for dear life. It wasn't rare to see 4 defenders IN THE CREASE.

For all the talk of the US playing so well, they weren't challenged until today. The closest thing to a challenge was a weak Russian team that outplayed them and was a bad call away from a win. A Russian team that went on to be beaten by the Finns, a team Canada dominated.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
International ice is wider, not longer.

Img_Popup_-922337203685477580805142010032523_115x115.jpg

Which means every zone is bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad