OT: Sochi 2014 Olympics - Hockey Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
TC is going to be announced on January 7th, and USA Hockey will announce on New Year's Day.

We shall dedicate this thread to talk about rosters and the tournament... and also use it as a GDT for Olympic games. :)

Here's my TC roster:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=76936647&postcount=888

P.S. Luckily, hockey falls during reading week at U of A, so I'm pretty pumped that I won't have to miss the games due to school. :yo: All Canada games start at 10 AM MT/NOON ET.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Just read on Twitter that there's a chance that bobby Ryan gets left off of team USA.

They say that the top 6 wingers who are locks are Patches, JVR, Parise and Kane.

No mention if kessel either...

They say that Ryan is battling for a spot with Oshie and Brown.

Source is Puck Daddy (Yahoo)

I call B.s.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Just read on Twitter that there's a chance that bobby Ryan gets left off of team USA.

They say that the top 6 wingers who are locks are Patches, JVR, Parise and Kane.

I call B.s.

That's ridiculous. Ryan is putting up career numbers. If Team USA leaves one of Ryan or Kessel off the team, they are pure idiots.

lmao if patches makes the team and those guys don't.

Team USA isn't as deep as TC. I can't imagine how those guys would not be on the team.

Edit - if they are crazy enough to leave Ryan off the top 6, it's not like Ryan is a puff. He would be dominant on the 3rd line.

Although for the Sens' sake I wouldn't want him doing a lot of crashing and banging. Because we know he is capable of playing that type of physical game.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com

I call B.s.

Kessel apparently not even the best American born winger on his team :sarcasm:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Ryan 42gp 18g 18a +10
Pacioretty 31gp 15g 4a +/- 0
Parise 37gp 15g 12a +1 (also on IR right now)

How are those two better than Ryan?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ryan 42gp 18g 18a +10
Pacioretty 31gp 15g 4a +/- 0
Parise 37gp 15g 12a +1 (also on IR right now)

How are those two better than Ryan?

Only thing I can think of is that USA builds it's team around speed, and Ryan doesn't fit the mould.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I hope Canada can perform on the bigger ice surface, their recent Olympic success came on North American ice (Salt Lake and Vancouver). I am also not excited by our goaltending. Mobile defencemen like Subban and Doughty are key on the bigger ice.

Nobody gives a rat's ass about Ottawa and it's players. Ryan currently is a better player than Parise and MaxPac. Selfishly, I am glad Andy and Spezza are not going to the Olympics - we need them fresh and healthy while the other stars show signs of fatigue in April.

As long as Karlsson is healthy, I don't think fatigue will be a factor for him. I also think Karlsson has the potential to be the star of the tournament on the big ice surface. He will not play as many minutes, but that is potentially a boon. Of course, Sweden can be weird on international events and may exit early.

I am looking forward to the Olympics, and not just for the hockey.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Only thing I can think of is that USA builds it's team around speed, and Ryan doesn't fit the mould.

Not sure about that. Kessel would be a lock on a team built around speed. Ryan isn't a speedster but he isn't a turtle either.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Selfishly though, from a pure Sens perspective, it's actually better that all our players are left off their Olympic rosters.

1. Less wear and tear on bodies
2. More motivation
3. Less money demanded in contract talks

That being said, it's hard not to feel bad for the players that do get left off, especially, when there is no reason for them to be left on from a skill and performance angle.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
Yeah, I think it's ridiculous that Ryan isn't a lock, but if he doesn't make the team, I'm okay with it because (a) it prevents a chance of injury (b) inferior US team in the tournament

WhiteLight*

Team Canada

Tavares - Crosby - Seguin
Hall - Getzlaf - Perry
St. Louis - Giroux - Stamkos
Marleau - Toews - Sharp
Benn - Duchene

Keith - Seabrook
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Doughty - Weber
Vlasic - Subban

Price
Harding
Bernier

WhiteLight*

Team Sweden

Steen - Backstrom - Landeskog
Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Franzen - Zetterberg - Alfredsson
Hagelin - Zibanejad - Silfverberg
Nyquist - Hornqvist

Ekman-Larsson - Karlsson
Kronwall - Hedman
Hjalmarsson - Brodin
Lindholm - Ericsson

Lehner
Lundqvist
Lack

littleD

Team Canada

Tavares - Crosby - Seguin
Hall - Getzlaf - Perry
St. Louis - Giroux - Stamkos
Marleau - Toews - Sharp
Benn - Duchene

Keith - Seabrook
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Doughty - Weber
Vlasic - Subban

Price
Harding
Bernier

Doubt Harding or Bernier will be anywhere near the squad. Luongo and probably Fleury along with Price as goalies. Also don't see Hockey Canada going with all of Benn, Duchene, Seguin and Hall without at least one or two of Nash, E. Staal, St. Louis.

WhiteLight*

Doubt Harding or Bernier will be anywhere near the squad. Luongo and probably Fleury along with Price as goalies. Also don't see Hockey Canada going with all of Benn, Duchene, Seguin and Hall without at least one or two of Nash, E. Staal, St. Louis.

It's not a prediction :P Though I agree with you that's who they'll take. St. Louis is there

Luongo has a habit of losing his starting job to his backup, not sure why he's so highly viewed

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Luongo won the 2010 Games. That's why he's highly viewed.

Feel like the last two decades were much easier for predicting Team Canada's goaltending. It was always Roy / Brodeur / Whoever or Brodeur / Luongo / Whoever

WhiteLight*

USA

Ryan - Pavelski - Kane
van Riemsdyk - Stastny - Kessel
Dubinsky - Backes - Oshie
Parise - Kesler - Okposo
Stepan - Wheeler

Suter - Carlson
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Yandle - Johnson
Fowler - Faulk

Miller
Bishop
Quick

WhiteLight*

Luongo won the 2010 Games. That's why he's highly viewed.

Feel like the last two decades were much easier for predicting Team Canada's goaltending. It was always Roy / Brodeur / Whoever or Brodeur / Luongo / Whoever

That's exactly the kind of thinking that screwed Canada in 2006. Too much emphasis on past performances and Team Canada experience. In 2010, they did a pretty good job, I only disagreed with about 3 selections. They did a good job because they picked a completely different team from 2006 and picked the best CURRENT players.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think with Price's steadiness in the shootout, he should probably be looked to as the starter. Assuming Lou is the other goalie, the third goalie is fairly inconsequential.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
That's exactly the kind of thinking that screwed Canada in 2006. Too much emphasis on past performances and Team Canada experience. In 2010, they did a pretty good job, I only disagreed with about 3 selections. They did a good job because they picked a completely different team from 2006 and picked the best CURRENT players.

Thing is, Price is the only guy who has been successful both this season and in the past as a starter. I'm not confident handing the reigns to Harding and Bernier if Price falters. Luongo is posting respectable numbers this season and has a pedigree. Why not take him?

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
Luongo and Price are locks. The third goalie... I really have no idea. I really hope speed is addressed, and that's why I like Duchene next to Crosby. He can keep up with him, and has great hands and shot.

Getzlaf isn't very fast but he's way too good to pass upon. Anyone else? They better be able to skate. No Iginla or Morrow this year for sure.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
After his traditionally bad October, Luongo has been putting up good numbers, and has a somewhat undermanned Canucks squad in the hunt in the West. (Check the Canucks roster - once you get past Kesler and the Sedins, it's a lot thinner than it used to be.) In the absence of any other Canadian born goalies really lighting it up, I say that Canada should avoid reaching and make the two obvious choices in Luongo and Price.

There's no doubt that on paper, other teams are deeper in goal. You can only play one goalie at a time, though, and in a short tournament anything can happen. Just ask Team Canada 2006, who outshot the Swiss 47-18 only to be shut out 2-0 by one Martin Gerber...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad