Sobotka - Staying in KHL for 2015/16

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I think he made that statement, but I believe that he has to sever his KHL contract to come back to the NHL. I'm guessing that it will be like Lehtera's contract with a buyout option or something along those lines. I thought he still had a year left on it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It will be interesting to see where he slots in... 3rd line or 4th line, wing or center. Either way I'd be happy to have him back.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think he made that statement, but I believe that he has to sever his KHL contract to come back to the NHL. I'm guessing that it will be like Lehtera's contract with a buyout option or something along those lines. I thought he still had a year left on it.

Yes, he DOES have one year left. So, he has to officially buy out that year to become free to play in The NHL.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
What is his situation? I'm not sure, but somebody noted (alkha maybe) he would info next week is he staying KHL or not.

We aren't going to hear anything official for a while.

The word in Omsk for the past month has been that this was expected to be Sobotka's last season with Avangard. He is/was expected to tell Avangard of his intention to terminate his contract before he left Omsk for the offseason. The actual process of terminating the contract wouldn't happen until late April. As of now, he is still in Omsk.

These constant rumours of Sobotka leaving seem to have prompted Avangard to yesterday state: "Vladimír Sobotka has a valid contract with the club until 2017. There are no additions, and changes, compared to a standard KHL contract, are not contained."

With it appearing like Avangard are posturing, I doubt we'll hear anything official until the end of April/start of May.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
It will be interesting to see where he slots in... 3rd line or 4th line, wing or center. Either way I'd be happy to have him back.

I'd prefer him on the third line.keep brodziak in the fourth line center spot.sobotka by right should be a top 9 player.from what I've seen his khl play hasn't dipped from when he left the nhl.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'd prefer him on the third line.keep brodziak in the fourth line center spot.sobotka by right should be a top 9 player.from what I've seen his khl play hasn't dipped from when he left the nhl.

I would hope for better scoring production from the Blues' 3rd line center than anything Sobotka has ever managed. I think he's the 4th line center who can slide up into the top 9 during inevitable injuries.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Whose spot in the top 9 is he taking? I'm still of the belief that Backes is brought back.

Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko - nobody there
Fabbri-Stastny-(Brouwer) - maybe a RW?
Berglund-Backes-Steen - contrary to what others will say, he's NOT better than Berglund

That doesn't factor in for someone coming up from the AHL (albeit unlikely).

I like Sobotka, I'd like to see him back, but unless he's going to be on his off wing, I don't see him in the top 9 next year. Im sure the Backes haters will say he should just replace Backes but he's a very poor replacement for that particular role.

He's an excellent role player who in the short term can play a top 9 role, but when this team is healthy, he's not amongst the 9 best forwards on the team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Fabbri
Sobotka-Backes-Berglund

Sobotka is essentially the playmaking version of Berglund and Berglund is the goalscoring version. Both won't have a ton of production, both should be in the 30-40 point range over a full season. Both are great possession players, and while 3rd line quality, they do help their lines play better.

Sobotka in the middle of Schwartz and Tarasenko was our best line in the playoffs against Chicago, and I think he is a better fit their than Lehtera. Sobotka does the little things and allows the other guys to focus on the offense. Sobotka can extend plays. I don't want to overrate him, because the final product from him is not great, but it's similar to Berglund.

Last edited:

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
If we get a new coach. I would like to see Rattie compete for the 3rd RW. I think Berglund-Sobotka-Rattie would be a good line together.

bradrich99

Feb 3, 2009
42°59′01″N 081°14′59″W
Falco speaks the truth here. Precise and on point!

Whose spot in the top 9 is he taking? I'm still of the belief that Backes is brought back.

Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko - nobody there
Fabbri-Stastny-(Brouwer) - maybe a RW?
Berglund-Backes-Steen - contrary to what others will say, he's NOT better than Berglund

That doesn't factor in for someone coming up from the AHL (albeit unlikely).

I like Sobotka, I'd like to see him back, but unless he's going to be on his off wing, I don't see him in the top 9 next year. Im sure the Backes haters will say he should just replace Backes but he's a very poor replacement for that particular role.

He's an excellent role player who in the short term can play a top 9 role, but when this team is healthy, he's not amongst the 9 best forwards on the team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sobotka's ideal role is the 9/10 spot. Play the role that he did when Schwartz was a rookie. Allow Jaskin, Rattie, or whatever young offensive forward sheltered minutes, and Sobotka can rotate up for defensive, late-game, or situations where the young guy needs to sit.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Falco speaks the truth here. Precise and on point!

Thanks!

Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Fabbri
Sobotka-Backes-Berglund

Sobotka is essentially the playmaking version of Berglund and Berglund is the goalscoring version. Both won't have a ton of production, both should be in the 30-40 point range over a full season. Both are great possession players, and while 3rd line quality, they do help their lines play better.

Sobotka in the middle of Schwartz and Tarasenko was our best line in the playoffs against Chicago, and I think he is a better fit their than Lehtera. Sobotka does the little things and allows the other guys to focus on the offense. Sobotka can extend plays. I don't want to overrate him, because the final product from him is not great, but it's similar to Berglund.

Want to make sure I'm not misreading but the bolded sounds like you think Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko is better than Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko. If that's the case, then one of two things has to be true:

1. You're overrating Sobotka
2. You're NOT overrating Sobotka and we should move the heavily overpaid Lehtera.

The main point I was trying to convey with my previous post was this:

Vladimir Sobotka left because he wanted to be a top 6 guy and then get paid like one. Some feel he's a top 9, others don't, but nobody thinks he's a top 6. He clearly won't have that role here.....so why do we assume he's going to be back and even if he does, why would he be here for longer than his one year deal?

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Thanks!

Want to make sure I'm not misreading but the bolded sounds like you think Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko is better than Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko. If that's the case, then one of two things has to be true:

2. You're NOT overrating Sobotka and we should move the heavily overpaid Lehtera.

Vladimir Sobotka left because he wanted to be a top 6 guy and then get paid like one. Some feel he's a top 9, others don't, but nobody thinks he's a top 6. He clearly won't have that role here.....so why do we assume he's going to be back and even if he does, why would he be here for longer than his one year deal?
Lehtera is going to have a high cap hit the next few seasons.still not a fan of trading him though.idk,it's tough as I do think sobotka can be a top 9 guy but maybe I'm just seeing that as I'm a big fan of his play.in reality when the team is entirely healthy hitch prob would slot him down to the fourth line/secondary pk min

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I do believe we overestimated Lehtera's abilities this past summer. When the news came out about his surgery, this is what I was concerned about. It was another summer of not having proper training for him.

Lehtera is on pace for about 36 points. That's terrible for the role he plays. Sobotka also offers more stuff that's off the scoresheet in comparison to him.

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL
Thanks!

Anyone still on the Lehtera bandwagon needs to watch him play, him and Tarasenko do NOT help each other. They think they can make stupid little passes and force everything to each other instead of taking an open shot. Lehtera is no better than a low end 3C and we're paying him almost 5mil starting next year, if we can get anybody to take that I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

The myth that won't die.

Anyone still on the Lehtera bandwagon needs to watch him play, him and Tarasenko do NOT help each other. They think they can make stupid little passes and force everything to each other instead of taking an open shot. Lehtera is no better than a low end 3C and we're paying him almost 5mil starting next year, if we can get anybody to take that I'd do it in a heartbeat!

If Lehterä can put up 50 points, his contract is fine. The problem is that he doesn't look like that player this season.

I can understand Armstrong feeling that he needed on of Backes of Lehterä extended coming into this season. If the choice was Lehterä for 3 years at $4.7m or Backes for 6 years at $6m.. there was only 1 choice.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I do believe we overestimated Lehtera's abilities this past summer. When the news came out about his surgery, this is what I was concerned about. It was another summer of not having proper training for him.

Lehtera is on pace for about 36 points. That's terrible for the role he plays. Sobotka also offers more stuff that's off the scoresheet in comparison to him.

I'm all for trading him. I wouldn't have re-signed him if that was the cost.

@Alkha what's the truth if that was/is a myth? That's the only thing I ever heard.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Sobotka's ideal role is the 9/10 spot. Play the role that he did when Schwartz was a rookie. Allow Jaskin, Rattie, or whatever young offensive forward sheltered minutes, and Sobotka can rotate up for defensive, late-game, or situations where the young guy needs to sit.

This is the best assessment of Sobotka's role for The Blues. He can Rotate with Jaškin and Rattie and Berglund when the latter shifts between centre and wing, and with others when they need rest (Brouwer, Brodziak), and when players are injured, and everyone moves up. He can get decent minutes as a "utility" player.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm all for trading him. I wouldn't have re-signed him if that was the cost.

@Alkha what's the truth if that was/is a myth? That's the only thing I ever heard.

He wanted a full time role in the top 9, preferably at centre. We signed/extended Stastny, Lehterä and he was looking being a 3rd/4th line tweener again. We were asking to play for less than he wanted and in a lesser role, he wasn't willing to compromise on both.

I've no idea where the top 6 stuff came from. Sobotka messed Armstrong around for a year, that's why I'm annoyed by the entire situation.

Backes at 6 mil is better than Lehtera at 4.7.

If they were both 3 year deals, I'd completely agree. Backes is likely looking at the Kesler contract, I don't want Backes at $6m in 2020.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I really don't want to re-sign Backes.

The Lehtera extension, however, seemed premature and certainly a year longer than was necessary. DA has been pretty good with contracts but he sometimes seems to get antsy/nervous on a contract...I think he did with Lehtera.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Backes at 6 mil is better than Lehtera at 4.7.

You'll have to provide some sort of logic for that. Backes will be 32 in May. He already looks to be regressing as a hockey player which is normal, especially given the way he's played his career.

He's on pace for what 45 pts? Going forward you have to expect that to drop as well as his physical play. So you would rather pay a 32 year old declining player 6 million per year?

Not sure I see the logic in that.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Sobotka's last season with the Blues he had 33 points in 61 games. Brouwer this season has 31 points in 74 games. In the last three seasons, Berglund's highest point total is 32 points in 78 games. Please elaborate to me how Sobotka is not a top nine player on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad