Sobotka - Staying in KHL for 2015/16

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
St. Louis Blues
Just now :D

Vladimir Sobotka will not return for the 2015-16 season. Sobotka will remain in the KHL. >>> http://*******/1GKq1Gg

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772815

Sobotka to Remain in KHL
Vladimir Sobotka will not return to the Blues for 2015-16 season
Monday, 06.29.2015 / 8:00 AM CT / St Louis Blues - News
St. Louis Blues
Print

ST. LOUIS - The St. Louis Blues announced Monday that forward Vladimir Sobotka will not return to the Blues for the 2015-16 season.

Sobotka, who joined Avangard Omsk of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) last season, will remain in the KHL.

The 27-year-old Trebic, Czech Republic native has played in 247 games with the Blues, registering 29 goals and 72 assists (101 points).

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Such a weird situation. Army could've handled this better. Should've moved him for the best pick possible when this whole thing started.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Such a weird situation. Army could've handled this better. Should've moved him for the best pick possible when this whole thing started.

In isolation that might seem like the best move. But it would set a horrible precedent for negotiating with other players in the future. I'd rather get nothing for Sobotka and just allow him to play out his KHL contract.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Yay!!!! Maybe some Blues fans can finally move on!

I doubt it though, I mean I still see Bo Hart jerseys at the ball park, we sure do love our undersized scrappy player in STL.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Dragged out because Sobotka was strongly considering coming back, but some personal reasons have kept him with Avangard for another year.

In isolation that might seem like the best move. But it would set a horrible precedent for negotiating with other players in the future. I'd rather get nothing for Sobotka and just allow him to play out his KHL contract.

Now it would be a precedent, when all this was playing out, late last June/early July, then it would have simply have looked like choosing Berglund over Sobotka.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Do the Blues have any recourse on contract expiration if Sobotka decides to stay in KHL until he's past NHL usefulness?

It's a somewhat unique situation that isn't really dealt with in the CBA. While teams can't walk away from a contract that is awarded via team-elected arbitration, I expect the Blues would be able to walk away from the contract if we choose because he is a defected player. The NHL won't want to create a situation where players gain more power from this type of situation, and the NHLPA don't really have a complaint that would stand up with an arbitrator because the contract was given on merits that are no longer applicable.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

Dragged out because Sobotka was strongly considering coming back, but some personal reasons have kept him with Avangard for another year.

Now it would be a precedent, when all this was playing out, late last June/early July, then it would have simply have looked like choosing Berglund over Sobotka.

Could you elaborate on the personal reasons? Haven't heard anything regarding this.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Could you elaborate on the personal reasons? Haven't heard anything regarding this.

I'll send you a PM with the details, but from what I'm told it is his girlfriends preference that he stay in the KHL one more year.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'll send you a PM with the details, but from what I'm told it is his girlfriends preference that he stay in the KHL one more year.

Thanks for the details, I certainly didn't expect that to be the reason for Sobotka staying.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Girl friends tend to like living in St. Louis so this may be smoke and mirrors. Maybe he comes back after Hitch is finally dealt with? :popcorn:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Girl friends tend to like living in St. Louis so this may be smoke and mirrors. Maybe he comes back after Hitch is finally dealt with? :popcorn:

Why would this have anything to do with Hitch? Hitch LOVED Soby, raved about him whenever he could. He played him in important minutes, played him with our best players, gave him an opportunity to shine. I don't think it has anything to do with Hitch. Army maybe, but I doubt that too. He's not so immature to hold a grudge over some contract proceeding over a year ago. It probably is what it is. His girlfriend is probably European and prefers to stay in Europe. That seems to make sense to me. What would be the incentive for her to live in America? Her BF gets to play in the best league in the world, but for similar(if not less) money, she's thousands of miles away from home and adapting to a new city/country/language. I can't see that being very appealing. This all of course assuming she's European.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
If anything Hitch was good for Soby, he loved him and constantly moved him up to the top lines even when there were better options, I seriously doubt this has anything to do with Hitch

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
DIRECTLY from Helsinki | He writes with a Russian tank Tarasenko, the world of the NHL, he has eaten under the skin, it can not just jump. Perhaps for the year will be back. "I have it in my head, I was thinking about it," said national team captain Vladimir Sobotka.

A year ago, Vladimir Sobotka did what he thought was necessary. He built his head, felt by the St. Louis Blues adequate and sincere interest. He took the money fatter and richer workload in Omsk. Where they created the luxurious conditions for work. Not only financial. "For me it's important that it's there around my touchline everything revolves," says 28-year old emphatic forvard.

When the name Sobotka returns to NHL jersey?
"I thought about it, but now run over the season anymore. I focus only on the season in Omsk. "

However, in order for you in America not forgotten.
"I had it in my head over the summer, after this season we sit down with an agent and solve it. I certainly over a return to the NHL was thinking, but we will conclude next year. Leaving brought me the pros and cons. In Russia, the larger playground, a different style of hockey, I had to adapt. I can not play out so many fights, so I was always getting into NHL games. My current Hockey thus not as aggressive as before. "

Russia will not lose his hockey identity?
"That's not afraid. My conditioning coach Luke Stransky was always well prepared. Whether in Europe for a season, or a year in America. I have no fears. "

Play hockey in New York, Boston and Los Angeles, or in Novokuznetsk is a huge difference. After that you not miss?
"But I can not solve if I miss New York and other cities, or missing. My work is now in Omsk, for which I am trying to divert the best job. The decision to leave the NHL certainly do not regret it. In early for me definitely it was a big jump, but with this one I never had a problem. Perhaps only the cold and adaptation to different hockey. A long time ago but I know what where to buy, so I was not cold, where to eat. Now I needed domestic tranquility helps create girlfriend. "

And you again, Martin Erat. It must have been fifteen years in the NHL rather vyplesknutý of Russian life, is not it?
"True, Martin is a little vykulenej ... But you get used successfully adapts. Needs. As each of us. The recipe is to try not to think about the surrounding area, fully working, due to which we are all there. "

To what extent can stay in touch with former buddies of Blues?
"Here and there I wrote to Vladimir Tarasenko, how to, or with Roman Polak. I watch the matches Highlights St. Louis, I still wonder how they are doing. I do not give more, in Russia because of a shift or not. But Tarasenko me a lot of fun. I have not seen a stronger player on the puck with such an incredible shot. Beautifully his hockey watching. "

It will be a new Ovechkin?
"Hard to say. Most on him but admire how wearing hard at work. Enormously intensified, accelerated, improved shot. It is already in the top 10 best players in the NHL. Where to tighten it up, who knows. "

So after a year together?
(smiles) "I really can not say anything other than that will show after the season.

google translation via
http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej...-do-nhl-premyslim-o-tom-priznal.html/?nocache

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
They say Avangard has some financial problems right now. The club's management promises to fix the situation in the new year, but who knows...

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What is his situation? I'm not sure, but somebody noted (alkha maybe) he would info next week is he staying KHL or not.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
What is his situation? I'm not sure, but somebody noted (alkha maybe) he would info next week is he staying KHL or not.

Nothing official yet. Per Andy Strickland:

Vladimir Sobotka has been eliminated from #KHL playoffs. Focused on release to allow for his return to #NHL next season #stlblues

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00