So, seriously, who is getting traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Smallest return for Leddy? Capable depth player on D making peanuts and a 2015 2nd from a lottery team would be my minimum. They are in a tough spot, only hope is that a team wants Versteeg and the Hawks are willing to part with him for little in return, or Rozy is claimed on waivers or something.

Don't want to see Oduya traded yet, and Bickell is important for this year.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I could see the Hawks only getting a 3rd and 5th for Leddy if teams try to play hardball

Bowman really should have done move months ago but he has painted himself into a corner here

Best case = 2nd
Worst case = 3rd + 5th

Smallest return for Leddy? Capable depth player on D making peanuts and a 2015 2nd from a lottery team would be my minimum. They are in a tough spot, only hope is that a team wants Versteeg and the Hawks are willing to part with him for little in return, or Rozy is claimed on waivers or something.

Don't want to see Oduya traded yet, and Bickell is important for this year.

Clearly no one wants Steeger at this point and clearly Rozy is not wanted or else he would have been traded already

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also wouldn't surprise me if Bowman is forced to give away Leddy to dump Versteeg and settle for a 3rd rounder

Would be a bad moment for Bowman but as of now it looks very possible

chico_hawk

Jun 23, 2007
twitter.com
Unless there's a bidding war, we're not going to get top dollar for anybody as everybody knows that we have to get below the cap. It's like if you're buying a home from somebody that you know's on a deadline. You've got a little bit of leverage as a result to drive the price down.

Based on his history to date, I'm sure Stan thought through this cap deal a long time ago & prepared accordingly.

He usually makes his deadline deals well before the deadline, since he knows it becomes even more of a seller's market the closer you get to the deadline.

In the 2010 off-season, as a forced seller, he made deals early after the season, knowing the longer he waited, the more leverage he would give away & the more likely it would be that he'd make a bad deal, and he did pretty well, considering.

This time around, he is again a "forced seller" because of the cap, but not to the extent he was in 2010. He only has to move 1 guy to be in compliance (while sending TT down to Rockford) but I don't think he's counting on a "bidding war" at the last minute, tho if one happens, he'll gladly take it.

There are only two guys without NTC/NMC in their contracts - Leddy & Versteeg. He's already mentioned in camp that Morin is going to get a full-time roster spot, which I translate as getting a spot on the 3rd or 4th line depending on where Smith fits. Mashinter looks like he's got another spot & I think Regin gets another cuz he comes cheap & is versatile.

Leddy would bring the greater return than Versteeg, but at the same time, he also brings more potential to the table for the hawks - as a possible #4 to replace Oduya next season (or this season if Oduya gets hurt again). He's got several years on Versteeg, has great wheels, and being a Dman, he's generally harder to replace than a forward.

If Bowman had a solid deal for Leddy at any point during this off-season, I think he would have made that deal at the time...Perhaps one comes in at the last second, but I don't think Bowman will be easily swayed to let Leddy go for anything less than a 1st and 3rd rounder (which is what the compensation is for losing a guy to an offer sheet for under $5M per).

He'll be much more amenable to losing an older, replaceable 3rd liner like Versteeg for a conditional return than a Dman like Leddy.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
for me, 2nd rounder is the lowest return I'd accept for Leddy. Anything less than that, I'd rather waive Regin/Mashinter/Roszival and start the season with 12F and 6D.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I could see the Hawks only getting a 3rd and 5th for Leddy if teams try to play hardball

Bowman really should have done move months ago but he has painted himself into a corner here

Best case = 2nd
Worst case = 3rd + 5th

Clearly no one wants Steeger at this point and clearly Rozy is not wanted or else he would have been traded already
Clearly you don't really know, just like the rest of us.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don't think he's willing to just give him away, no.

Then he's got a set of stones on him that haven't shown themselves before now. That's a dangerous game to play. I just don't think teams want Versteeg right now. There are other cheaper bounce back options with less term available and I'm sure there are some teams that want to see what they've got in games that matter before making a play for a middling skill player like Kris.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Rundblad bashing needs to be on hiatus. He has been good this training camp and bad in 5 games of 8 min TOI half a year ago after being traded... After not getting any ice for the Coyotes.

The results aren't in on him yet by a longshot.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Bobby Mac sources say this is not true

Bobby Mac is as legit and solid a source as you will ever find

All hail the great and all knowing Bobby Mac. Seriously though, who the **** cares what one guy has to say? The opinion of one obviously becomes fact.

We wouldn't get **** in trading Versteeg right now, and despite what one guy says, Steeger has looked a good notch better then he did last year.

Though, I'm personally a fan of keeping him. If Versteeg can get back to being the player he was prior to his injuries, he's a steal at his cap hit. And if Sharpie gets traded after this season, I'd like to at least have a 45-55pt guy for $2.2mil a year to help offset Sharp's departure.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
All hail the great and all knowing Bobby Mac. Seriously though, who the **** cares what one guy has to say? The opinion of one can obviously become fact.

We wouldn't get **** in trading Versteeg right now, and despite what one guy says, Steeger has looked a good notch better then he did last year.

Though, I'm personally a fan of keeping him. If Versteeg can get back to being the player he was prior to his injuries, he's a steal at his cap hit. And if Sharpie gets traded after this season, I'd like to at least have a 45-55pt guy for $2.2mil a year to help offset Sharp's departure.

^
We all want Steeger to bounce back

The issue at hand is people thinking he has value and will be easy to move when clearly that isn't true

Leddy is guy with value of some sort and that is why Bowman is trying to dump Steeger on a team in Leddy deal according to reports

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
^
We all want Steeger to bounce back

The issue at hand is people thinking he has value and will be easy to move when clearly that isn't true

Leddy is guy with value of some sort and that is why Bowman is trying to dump Steeger on a team in Leddy deal according to reports

I don't think Versteeg has value right now either (which is part of why I'd hate to see him traded), but he's looked surprisingly good the last few weeks.

And I understand that Bowman may be looking at pairing the two to help get a better return, but lumping Versteeg in with Leddy won't raise Leddy's stock much (if at all) and I'd hate us to lose two players who would most likely improve this season.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I don't think he's willing to just give him away, no.

At this point, I think Bowman would give away Versteeg/Rozy for free if there were any takers. That wasn't the case two months ago, but now it has to be. Otherwise, you're saying he'd stubbornly hang onto Versteeg because he can't get fair market value for him, at the expense of having to trade a player with actual value, i.e.. Leddy.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I'm saying Versteeg is a good player that we will need this year and Bowman doesn't want to give him away because he is a valuable asset to the team. He would be willing to trade away other assets that can give our team more assets, like an Oduya or Leddy. They also give the team wiggle room in case of injury, if moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad