So, seriously, who is getting traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I'm a little bit confused why this isn't a much hotter topic on these boards... We know there is a trade coming in the next month and no one is talking about it. Who is getting dealt?

To me, it's very obviously Oduya. I think Stan is waiting to make sure that no one is hurt in the next month or two, then he'll deal Oduya for a pick. He knows we'll lose him next offseason for nothing, he's coming off an injury, he didn't play great.

The Hawks are 2M over... Trading Johnny means you are 1.5 under. The perfect amount come trade deadline. It also allows us to move Teuvo up if we want. Very flexible roster.

Roszival has a NMC, They won't cut bait on Versteeg this early. Bickell is a playoff beast. Shaw, no. Sharp, next year. Kruger, next year. The only other option is Leddy.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Take it FWIW, as it's JJ from hockeybuzz, so not much.

He says Sharp isn't getting traded as the Hawks aren't getting what they deem fair value in offers. Hawks are hoping Roszival and Versteeg rebound from last year, and that Oduya is willing to take less than market value to stick around next year.

Which leaves Leddy and Bickell to be traded.

I personally believe Leddy will be dealt. He has the most value and has the least amount of value to the Hawks outside of Roszival and Versteeg, who won't command much of anything in a trade.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
We better get something good back, like Winnipeg 2nd at least. (or whatever you believe will be No. 31 overall)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Rozsival isn't enough though.

Rozsival + Versteeg

Leddy

Oduya

Bickell

Those are the 4 options.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If Bowman would actually go into a season with a smaller roster, sure, that makes the most sense.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Leddy And Versteeg

1)Allows TT to stay,
2) Bring up a rookie D man and then sign Brookbank
or bring up 2 rookie D men and have a healthy competition for the 6th d spot
Rundblad vs Johns Dahlbeck or Clendening

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Leddy And Versteeg

1)Allows TT to stay,
2) Bring up a rookie D man and then sign Brookbank
or bring up 2 rookie D men and have a healthy competition for the 6th d spot
Rundblad vs Johns Dahlbeck or Clendening

That would work for me. Plus you might add a 2nd and a 3rd towards next year's draft (where the Hawks already have the #54 compensation pick once Kayes signs elsewhere).

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
As has been said before: trading Leddy could potentially be a decision that is regretted for years to come. Don't forget that he was thrust into a Hawk uniform too early (imo) ... and I think that is what is making some impatient about his progress. Hopefully Stan isn't one of those. If he had spent a couple of years in RFD first, I'm sure folks would see it differently. I think this season is make or break for him as a Hawk.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
As has been said before: trading Leddy could potentially be a decision that is regretted for years to come. Don't forget that he was thrust into a Hawk uniform too early (imo) ... and I think that is what is making some impatient about his progress. Hopefully Stan isn't one of those. If he had spent a couple of years in RFD first, I'm sure folks would see it differently. I think this season is make or break for him as a Hawk.

I think you're missing the mark on why Leddy stands a decent chance of being traded. It's not that he isn't showing more after 4 seasons (though it would be nice if he did show more). It's that he isn't worth his current salary of 2.7 mil. This team doesn't have the luxury to overpay 3rd pairing defensemen. The cap squeeze is too tight for that.

No matter what route they go, the Hawks will have to give up someone that in a perfect world they would have liked to keep. This isn't about patience, but cap management.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I've been curious to see what Stan is going to do for a while now. Pro's and Con's for keeping Leddy and Oduya.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Oduya would be a mistake. He's a solid contributor.

I thinking either...

Bickell
or
Rozsival and Leddy or Versteeg (probably Versteeg)

And still lots of time. I'm confident that the organization's been working on this ever since Richards became an option. No clue what to expect for a return though, as giving us cap space is obviously part of the consideration for what the other guy's doing for us.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think you're missing the mark on why Leddy stands a decent chance of being traded. It's not that he isn't showing more after 4 seasons (though it would be nice if he did show more). It's that he isn't worth his current salary of 2.7 mil. This team doesn't have the luxury to overpay 3rd pairing defensemen. The cap squeeze is too tight for that.

No matter what route they go, the Hawks will have to give up someone that in a perfect world they would have liked to keep. This isn't about patience, but cap management.

I realize that the greed of our superstars has put us in this bind, but do you really want to give up on a young d-man that has world class offensive ability (that has yet to be tapped)? I agree with Coldice that we start the season with a short roster and wing it from there. Injuries will dictate a lot if we do.
Of course another (less desirable) option would be to trade Sharp. His value will be quite high after a solid RS ... and if the Hawks are going to go with youth, that could be the prudent thing to do.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I realize that the greed of our superstars has put us in this bind, but do you really want to give up on a young d-man that has world class offensive ability (that has yet to be tapped)? I agree with Coldice that we start the season with a short roster and wing it from there. Injuries will dictate a lot if we do.
Of course another (less desirable) option would be to trade Sharp. His value will be quite high after a solid RS ... and if the Hawks are going to go with youth, that could be the prudent thing to do.

I won't be thrilled if they trade Leddy at this point.

If they *do* plan to trade Sharp then I'd think his value would be at a high right now. Even if he has a strong season next year he'll be a year closer to being a UFA.

I wouldn't miss Bickell given his current salary.

The problem with trading multiple players with smaller salaries is you net less cap savings because you have to replace them. It's more practical to take out a larger salary, particularly if we're also going to have a problem space-wise next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad