So how do we look?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If your mindset is he has a legit chance of making the team, then I agree with you. Bring him up and let him participate. I just thought we were all running on the assumpt. n that we got Poni and Joki because we were planning on him spending the year in Barrie.

Of course, if you think he has a shot and are willing to burn a year of ELC, then he should be here.

I would give him another year to get bigger and stronger, play the OHL playoffs and with St. John's.

Given the way the season has gone for St. John's the playoffs seem like quite the long shot so the chances that Scheifele sees any AHL action this season are slim even if he returns to Barrie.

With regards to the NHL, if he's ready he'll stick. Given the injury situation upfront he has a decent chance to get his 7 games in without upsetting any chemistry. Not to mention we are going to need as many players in game shape as possible to get off to a good start.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm just curious what is the actual harm for giving him training camp and a few games...
He wouldn't be playing top line minutes so he wouldn't really be disturbing training or chemistry... especially with all the injuries going on right now

You also have to be fair to the kid and let him compete. He has done everything asked of him so far. If he earns his way on to the team great. By game 9 it will be clear to everyone if he should stay or go. If it is not obvious he should stay, send him back to Barrie for a Memorial cup run.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm just curious what is the actual harm for giving him training camp and a few games...
He wouldn't be playing top line minutes so he wouldn't really be disturbing training or chemistry... especially with all the injuries going on right now

I just think with the influx of new players and extremely short training camp, Scheifele could hurt chemistry. We need to set our lines.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
All roster talk ends up leading to Scheifele. Here's my $0.02 cut/pasted from the Scheifele poll/thread....

I would like to think the Jets depth is not so weak that Scheifele can just will his way on to the team. Scheifele is a beast against the U20 crowd but would most likely get a roster spot in Wniipeg based on depleted lineup due to injuries rather than because he is bursting at the seasm in junior hockey.

TC will be at most 10 days and may be as little as just 7 days. That's not a lot of time to establish yourself as a 19 yo rookie. I'd rather see O'Dell get the call up and see what we got with him. No one considers the Jets to be contenders this year so it's not like we need to be "all in" (I think that mentality starts next season in full force).

We bring up Scheifele now and maybe he develops to 80% of his potential. It may even be worse if he gets bounced around Noel's carousel of a roster with no fixed idea of what role he is supposed to play (see Burmi last year). He stays in Barrie, as assistant captain, top scorer in the OHL and leads Colts into a deep playoff run. I think this was a best case scenario when we drafted him two years ago. Should not deviate off course just because we can.

Also, this HF board has been and spoken of far more damager to young players who are rushed far too early. You would think that we would err on the side of too much caution if anything.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I just think with the influx of new players and extremely short training camp, Scheifele could hurt chemistry. We need to set our lines.

How though?
Not on drills, so that's a part of camp...
He will be playing in the bottom which is going to not be in actual set lines mode due to injuries between Antropov and Burmistrov

It's not that I'm disagreeing with you... just have difficulty seeing it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Maybe, maybe not. Asking him to fill in to fill in for an injured Antropov or Burmi could actually help keep the other lines intact.

For what it is worth, I can't see him cracking the top 9 if everyone is healthy. He is getting close, but Welly, Antro, Poni and Burmi are pretty good.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
How though?
Not on drills, so that's a part of camp...
He will be playing in the bottom which is going to not be in actual set lines mode due to injuries between Antropov and Burmistrov

It's not that I'm disagreeing with you... just have difficulty seeing it.

I just want set lines. We don't know if Antro or Burmi are hurt right now. Of course its hard to speculate without knowing but if those 2 are in camp I want to see at least 3 scoring lines put together for scrimmages so that they can start to build chemistry. I think that is going to be critical in the first couple weeks. If we can get off to a hot start I think we will make the playoffs.

I just don't see why he has to be here unless the team actually believes he could stay. I just don't think he's there yet. He got knocked around in a junior tourney. We have lots of forward depth right now especially if Fehr comes back (I have a sinking suspicion he will).

I understand others POV on this, but it's just my experience in hockey that I'm drawing from -- doesn't make me right.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I just want set lines. We don't know if Antro or Burmi are hurt right now. Of course its hard to speculate without knowing but if those 2 are in camp I want to see at least 3 scoring lines put together for scrimmages so that they can start to build chemistry. I think that is going to be critical in the first couple weeks. If we can get off to a hot start I think we will make the playoffs.

I just don't see why he has to be here unless the team actually believes he could stay. I just don't think he's there yet. He got knocked around in a junior tourney. We have lots of forward depth right now especially if Fehr comes back (I have a sinking suspicion he will).

I understand others POV on this, but it's just my experience in hockey that I'm drawing from -- doesn't make me right.

Re: bolded... I have zero reason to believe this... yet I have the same feeling...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Re: bolded... I have zero reason to believe this... yet I have the same feeling...

I just think the org gave him a real fair chance to play last year when he was obviously not 100%. With his performance this year it looks as if he is feeling better and I'd bet he would love to show the the Jets his appreciation for last year.

I have no facts to base this on, btw :D

Also, I just want to make one more point about Scheifele. While I don't really think he should be here, but I fully believe that he will be in TC.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Claude Noel throws out a bazillion line combos each game. Line chemistry is the very last thing that should stand in the way here.

I don't know. He seemed to keep guys/ pairs together when they had good chemistry. Line chemistry matters, the reason a coach shuffles lines is that it's not always guaranteed, so he tries to find it in new combinations.

There is also a difference between beginning of the season and knowing your linemates tendencies, and mid-season shuffles to shake things up.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I just think the org gave him a real fair chance to play last year when he was obviously not 100%. With his performance this year it looks as if he is feeling better and I'd bet he would love to show the the Jets his appreciation for last year.

I have no facts to base this on, btw :D

Also, I just want to make one more point about Scheifele. While I don't really think he should be here, but I fully believe that he will be in TC.

Ya... my hunches are from his tweets, especially after he had already not been contended for RFA extension... he was still tweeting Jets stuff.
Just as illegitimate as your hunches...
:P

Claude Noel throws out a bazillion line combos each game. Line chemistry is the very last thing that should stand in the way here.

Meh looking at TOI with players linemates and some sites that track line combinations (as complete as a single game and up to the whole season) it seems pretty consistent relative to how things can work out (1 player with a late change, someone coming out of the penalty box, etc.)

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Ya... my hunches are from his tweets, especially after he had already not been contended for RFA extension... he was still tweeting Jets stuff.

I will lose my **** if Fehr is back :laugh:

But what the heck give him a shot at TC (if that is possible) and see if playing in a different league has raised his confidence.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Meh looking at TOI with players linemates and some sites that track line combinations (as complete as a single game and up to the whole season) it seems pretty consistent relative to how things can work out (1 player with a late change, someone coming out of the penalty box, etc.)
I thought so too. There was some juggling early, but by the end of the year (when everyone was healthy) it was quite firmly:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Burmi - Wellwood
GST

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
While I don't believe we are a bona fide playoff team yet, a shortened season gives us a better chance. Having said that, Scheifele is not going to determine whether we make it to the playoffs, here's what will:
1)Pavelec-If he can actually sustain a hot streak and put up good numbers, as opposed to just looking flashy, he gives us our best shot.
2)Injuries, esp to D-men. If Bogo is back by the end of Jan (which was my initial prediction) and Buff stays healthy, we have a reasonable chance. If injuries start piling up, we don't have the depth to compete.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I honestly don't expect this team to be making the playoffs this season. Sure we made a few solid additions, but I just don't believe it will be enough.

As someone else mentioned, I would not be surprised if teams like Montreal, Toronto and even the NYI finish higher than the JETS in the standings. That said, the JETS could just as easily fight for that # 8 seed.

As for Scheifele, I say let him come into camp and show what he's got for 9 games, but there's no need to burn a year on his entry level contract. A 9 game audition will give him another taste of NHL action and the JETS will know first hand what he needs to work on most. All in all, going back to Barrie and playing in all situations for a top team will be the best thing for his development. He will come back next fall much improved and even hungrier to finally crack the roster full time.

As for this team's fortunes, I always want them to win, but in this shortened season I'd just as soon see them get on of the top 5 picks in this draft than narrowly miss out on the #8 seed. This line of thinking is purely a result of me personally giving up on the season back in November and focusing all my spare time on the 2013 top draft prospects.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I honestly don't expect this team to be making the playoffs this season. Sure we made a few solid additions, but I just don't believe it will be enough.

As someone else mentioned, I would not be surprised if teams like Montreal, Toronto and even the NYI finish higher than the JETS in the standings. That said, the JETS could just as easily fight for that # 8 seed.

As for Scheifele, I say let him come into camp and show what he's got for 9 games, but there's no need to burn a year on his entry level contract. A 9 game audition will give him another taste of NHL action and the JETS will know first hand what he needs to work on most. All in all, going back to Barrie and playing in all situations for a top team will be the best thing for his development. He will come back next fall much improved and even hungrier to finally crack the roster full time.

As for this team's fortunes, I always want them to win, but in this shortened season I'd just as soon see them get on of the top 5 picks in this draft than narrowly miss out on the #8 seed. This line of thinking is purely a result of me personally giving up on the season back in November and focusing all my spare time on the 2013 top draft prospects.
I am going to put 100% of everything on Pavi here. If Pav has a career year in terms of save percentage (higher than .914) the Jets will be a playoff team if not, then they will miss.

The Jets were an above average possession team last year and they should be improved this year. ...but anything can happen in a shortened season.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Regarding the shortened season, will teams only play against teams in their conference?

I ask because of the teams at the bottom of the East last year, I think Carolina has improved a lot, TB improved a little, and both Montreal and Toronto won't have seasons as bad as last year. That leaves maybe the Isles as a "lower end" team.

Not trying to be doom and gloom, just wondering about how we might come out of the gate if we have some injury concerns right off the bat (Bogo, Burmi, and Antro), and have to play against an improved East, and an improved SE division.

I agree those four teams will all be better, but there will be teams who are not as good. New Jersey (without Parise) and a year older Brodeur could struggle to make the playoffs. I also feel Ottawa and Florida overachieved last season and both of them could fall off and miss the playoffs. I think the Jets are the most unpredictable team in the NHL. I could see them finishing 5th in the conference or I could see them finishing 15th in the conference. It should be very interesting to watch the Jets this shortened season.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am going to put 100% of everything on Pavi here. If Pav has a career year in terms of save percentage (higher than .914) the Jets will be a playoff team if not, then they will miss.

The Jets were an above average possession team last year and they should be improved this year. ...but anything can happen in a shortened season.

And I 100% agree with this post! Barring major injuries epidemic this all comes down to Pavs #'s. I he takes the next step then I really like our chances.....flat or regression and we don't have a good enough team to overcome it.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

To be fair, it's not like the team has a history of helping out their goaltenders very much. The goalies have a tendency of facing among the most shots in the NHL, and have pretty bad save%.

Mason, for example, didn't reach .900 while with the franchise!:laugh:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
To be fair, it's not like the team has a history of helping out their goaltenders very much. The goalies have a tendency of facing among the most shots in the NHL, and have pretty bad save%.

Mason, for example, didn't reach .900 while with the franchise!:laugh:
They weren't bad a preventing shots last year. They right in the middle of the pack.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
They weren't bad a preventing shots last year. They right in the middle of the pack.

True, the defensive schemes were obviously looked over and changed with the coaching staff. There were several games where it looked eerily close to the Thrashers defensively though. In fact, that, together with the fact that shot totalt were actually down this past year, may not have helped the overall save% much.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012

I do not care what the stats say. The Jets were brutal in their own end. I hope Perry Pearn has some say in improving that area of the team.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I do not care what the stats say. The Jets were brutal in their own end. I hope Perry Pearn has some say in improving that area of the team.
I didn't think they were that bad.

GST was a mess and the PK was bad, but the rest of the team really wasn't.

Pearn should help the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad