So how do we look?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not this season, the real cap is 70 million this season. Officially it's 60 million, but it's actually 70 million, details about that are kinda sketchy, but the gist of it is, it's 70 million.

It's next season when the cap will fall to 64 million that we might have a chance at that, but teams will have 2 "amnesty" buyouts that will help hard pressed teams get under cap.

Particularly with the Burmistrov and potential Antropov injury I think you have to bring him into camp. He also has not rejoined Barrie yet, so now would be the perfect time to bring him into camp. There's only going to be 13-16 forwards in camp, so it won't be hurting anything. Worst case scenario is you send him back down after one week away from Barrie, don't see the downside in bringing him to camp.

Here's my problem with it. In a regular TC, fine, bring him up even though you know that he is not going to be on the team this season.

This year, we have one week to try and figure out our lines, and get some semblance of chemistry, and guys (particularily Jokinen and Ponikarovsky) on the same page with systems etc. I think adding a guy who won't be on the team to the mix just confuses the issue. They should be forming lines day one, and trying to figure out who of the tweeners are going to stay up, either to fill the Burmi and Antro holes, or the guys who will be most likely staying with the team longer term.

I understand that having Mark up doesn't hurt him in any way, but I really think smart teams will be trying to get as game day ready from second one of camp.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Bobby Mac

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Lots in WPG asking about Trouba. No plans to sign him now so expectation, for now anyway, is he'll be back at U of Michigan.
3 hours ago

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Big question in WPG: health of Zach Bogosian. Coming off wrist surgery, 4-6 months. End of Jan is 5 months. Burmistrov out couple of weeks.

This doesn't add anything regarding Bogo's status, since we all knew that already. Sure would be nice to get a real update on his injury status.

Teemu VIII

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 16, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with Jet, if Scheifele is only going to play 7 games, let's just not bother. No time for experimenting in this mad rush to get ready for the season.

ATLhockey437

Jun 6, 2009
Look like a team that has a history of underachieving under pressure. Now that the games have even more emphasis being divisional and in conference only, I don't see this team making it in. Enjoy one more year of the honeymoon. A lot can happen a year from now so thats when I'll start getting optimistic about playoff chances.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Actually Pavelec is the player that gives me the most worry, he was terrible in Europe this year.

Agree with Jet, now is not the time to bring Scheff for a tryout, 2013-2014 will be early enough.

Would like to see the Jets go for a proven 5-9 veteran forward if available.
Eric Fehr!

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
More importantly, how does Buff look? Anyone have any updates on him or his off-season training?

A winter without Buff is like a month without sunshine.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I agree with Jet, if Scheifele is only going to play 7 games, let's just not bother. No time for experimenting in this mad rush to get ready for the season.

Looks like TNSE will give him a shot. Not sure it matters. He still needs some power skating lessons and a boat load of protein shakes to play his game in the NHL.

Getting up to 185 lbs is nice, but I wanna see him get to the plus side of 200.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Bobby Mac

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Lots in WPG asking about Trouba. No plans to sign him now so expectation, for now anyway, is he'll be back at U of Michigan.
3 hours ago

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Big question in WPG: health of Zach Bogosian. Coming off wrist surgery, 4-6 months. End of Jan is 5 months. Burmistrov out couple of weeks.

To counter the Burmi thing:

Robin Short (@telyrobinshort) tweeted at 8:11 PM on Sat, Jan 05, 2013:

Alexander Burmistrov in IceCaps dressing room following Saturday's game. Will practice this week after missing 14 games to injury.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Here is a different perspective on Scheifele. I expect he'll get as many games as defined within the new CBA to make the team prior to them making a decision. This is a short season and many of the players are not even in game shape due not having played; workouts at home or at the IcePlex don't really count. Scheifele conversely has played as much or more hockey than has anyone on their roster this year. He'll stand out amongst that crowd and will be given every opportunity to stick.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Eric Fehr!

As I said in the "Key year" thread:

GermanJetsFan said:
Fehr plays a great season in the swedish league. Maybe Romang can tell us more about the way he was doing? What kind of a role he played?

Assuming he did as good as his numbers tell, he reached 23 Points in 20 Games. 12 Goals 11 Assists.
If he would be the player he was before joining the Jets, he would be awesome on our fourth line.

CAN you STILL actually buy just like that a player from Europe? the SM league? Even if he has a contract for the whole season.

jetkarma*

Here is a different perspective on Scheifele. I expect he'll get as many games as defined within the new CBA to make the team prior to them making a decision. This is a short season and many of the players are not even in game shape due not having played; workouts at home or at the IcePlex don't really count. Scheifele conversely has played as much or more hockey than has anyone on their roster this year. He'll stand out amongst that crowd and will be given every opportunity to stick.

Totally agree.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Actually Pavelec is the player that gives me the most worry, he was terrible in Europe this year.

Agree with Jet, now is not the time to bring Scheff for a tryout, 2013-2014 will be early enough.

Would like to see the Jets go for a proven 5-9 veteran forward if available.

I disagree I think the jets need to see where his game is at at the NHL level they need this info going into next year because maybe they will feel he needs a year in the ahl which will in turn require some additional signings for next year

Becel

I Hate Jamie Macoun
Sep 14, 2011
And here I thought this was a Byfuglien weight thread...

After a few months off and a couple good holiday feasts a one week training camp might not be enough...

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Here's my problem with it. In a regular TC, fine, bring him up even though you know that he is not going to be on the team this season.

This year, we have one week to try and figure out our lines, and get some semblance of chemistry, and guys (particularily Jokinen and Ponikarovsky) on the same page with systems etc. I think adding a guy who won't be on the team to the mix just confuses the issue. They should be forming lines day one, and trying to figure out who of the tweeners are going to stay up, either to fill the Burmi and Antro holes, or the guys who will be most likely staying with the team longer term.

I understand that having Mark up doesn't hurt him in any way, but I really think smart teams will be trying to get as game day ready from second one of camp.

Your running this on the basis that there is no chance Scheifele can contribute at the NHL level and help the Jets...a premise which I believe to be flawed. There is every possibility he can a solid player for the Jets this season, IMO. You want to put the best roster on the ice, and I think Scheifele can be in that mix, no problem.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Regarding the shortened season, will teams only play against teams in their conference?

I ask because of the teams at the bottom of the East last year, I think Carolina has improved a lot, TB improved a little, and both Montreal and Toronto won't have seasons as bad as last year. That leaves maybe the Isles as a "lower end" team.

Not trying to be doom and gloom, just wondering about how we might come out of the gate if we have some injury concerns right off the bat (Bogo, Burmi, and Antro), and have to play against an improved East, and an improved SE division.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
And here I thought this was a Byfuglien weight thread...

After a few months off and a couple good holiday feasts a one week training camp might not be enough...

I found myself missing the opportunity to debate a grown man's weight. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with me? Oh well, Jets are back. And so is Buff!!!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Regarding the shortened season, will teams only play against teams in their conference?

I ask because of the teams at the bottom of the East last year, I think Carolina has improved a lot, TB improved a little, and both Montreal and Toronto won't have seasons as bad as last year. That leaves maybe the Isles as a "lower end" team.

Not trying to be doom and gloom, just wondering about how we might come out of the gate if we have some injury concerns right off the bat (Bogo, Burmi, and Antro), and have to play against an improved East, and an improved SE division.

All Conference play, 5 games within division, 3 games within conference teams I think.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Between the improvement of teams in the SE, the travel, Kane and Pavelec's struggles in Europe, Bogo, Burmi, and Antro possibly being out to start the season, Buff possibly being out of shape, and guys like Ladd etc. not playing during the lockout. I really don't share the same optimism. Now would I be shocked if we snuck into the 8 seed? Not entirely but I wouldn't be shocked if we finished last in the East either. I could see Florida coming back to reality and we might be better than them, NYI probably but with a guy like Tavares I can't completely count them out, the Leafs maybe if they still have goaltending issues. Those are the only teams I can look at and realistically expect to finish ahead of.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Between the improvement of teams in the SE, the travel, Kane and Pavelec's struggles in Europe, Bogo, Burmi, and Antro possibly being out to start the season, Buff possibly being out of shape, and guys like Ladd etc. not playing during the lockout. I really don't share the same optimism. Now would I be shocked if we snuck into the 8 seed? Not entirely but I wouldn't be shocked if we finished last in the East either. I could see Florida coming back to reality and we might be better than them, NYI probably but with a guy like Tavares I can't completely count them out, the Leafs maybe if they still have goaltending issues. Those are the only teams I can look at and realistically expect to finish ahead of.

Or have you thought that we could be better cause we have more depth with Jokinen and Poni, and we finally have a third line which we never had last year. Im not worried about Kane and Pavs, and Wheeler will start the year like a beast unlike last year, we will compete for a playoff spot!

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
With Pavelec's streaky nature, if we can get in the playoffs and he hits a hot streak...wow.

Just as likely to go completely the other way though.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Or have you thought that we could be better cause we have more depth with Jokinen and Poni, and we finally have a third line which we never had last year. Im not worried about Kane and Pavs, and Wheeler will start the year like a beast unlike last year, we will compete for a playoff spot!

My guess reality will fall in the middle somewhere. If I had to bet I would say we will be between 9th - 12th in the East, but stay in contention to give us hope to the end.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Your running this on the basis that there is no chance Scheifele can contribute at the NHL level and help the Jets...a premise which I believe to be flawed. There is every possibility he can a solid player for the Jets this season, IMO. You want to put the best roster on the ice, and I think Scheifele can be in that mix, no problem.

If your mindset is he has a legit chance of making the team, then I agree with you. Bring him up and let him participate. I just thought we were all running on the assumption that we got Poni and Joki because we were planning on him spending the year in Barrie.

Of course, if you think he has a shot and are willing to burn a year of ELC, then he should be here.

I would give him another year to get bigger and stronger, play the OHL playoffs and with St. John's.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
If your mindset is he has a legit chance of making the team, then I agree with you. Bring him up and let him participate. I just thought we were all running on the assumption that we got Poni and Joki because we were planning on him spending the year in Barrie.

Of course, if you think he has a shot and are willing to burn a year of ELC, then he should be here.

I would give him another year to get bigger and stronger, play the OHL playoffs and with St. John's.

I'm just curious what is the actual harm for giving him training camp and a few games...
He wouldn't be playing top line minutes so he wouldn't really be disturbing training or chemistry... especially with all the injuries going on right now

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'm just curious what is the actual harm for giving him training camp and a few games...
He wouldn't be playing top line minutes so he wouldn't really be disturbing training or chemistry... especially with all the injuries going on right now

Having Scheifele fill in for an injured top 9 player could work perfectly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad