Post-Game Talk: Sniffly Jets 5 Brady Led Punching Bags 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Ya missing Norris and Stutzel is rough but we didn't have Helly, Ehlers, Wheeler, Schmidt, Saku, Stanley and Appleton. Did i mention we didn't have Helly? :naughty:

I get that. However the difference between the Jets and Sens outcomes may be VERY dependent on coaching. For example how the coach responds to the loss of personnel, given that the replacement skaters are AHL types is a telling parameter. Bones has his ways of managing and is still getting some nice results. Smith is demonstrably unable to successfully cope with his roster weaknesses - the Sens looked flat.

EDIT: my response starts with "I get that":)o_O - I mishandled the post somehow.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
And to think back to how maligned Flats used to be around here. Just maybe he is one hell of a goalie coach like Helly has always maintained.
He did turn Pavelec from the NHL's worst starting goalie into...the NHL's worst starting goalie? And he was evidently so good that Hellebuyck hired his own personal goalie coach one summer to fix his game...

I think by the time goalies get to the NHL they are who they are. I believe the stats show that as well (there's little real change in a goalie's long-term SV% from one coaching regime to the next).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He did turn Pavelec from the NHL's worst starting goalie into...the NHL's worst starting goalie? And he was evidently so good that Hellebuyck hired his own personal goalie coach one summer to fix his game...

I think by the time goalies get to the NHL they are who they are. I believe the stats show that as well (there's little real change in a goalie's long-term SV% from one coaching regime to the next).
The coach Helly worked with in the off season was in concert with Flats, and no NHL level coaches work with players in the off season, so players need to find their own off season help. When Helly won the Vezina he went out of his way to thank Flats and say he couldn't have done it without him. Also, everyone of our recent backups has been over performing expectations, after joining the Jets. Also interestingly we had a complete regime change at the NHL coaching level except for the goalie coach. I'm guessing Bones liked his work and Helly wanted him to stay.

I believe people were on Flats early on because we had really bad goalies he couldn't magically wave a wand and turn into good goalies. And, no one actually knows what really happens with the goalie coach and his goalies so they just threw things at the wall. But, I'd be curious if there is actually something that Flats does or doesn't do that you believe makes him a good or bad goaltending coach. We do this continuously around here for Maurice and he is no longer even with the organization.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I haven't watched a minute of hockey yet this season (moved into my own house this summer, going no cable - so if I want to watch sports I have to actively seek it out and most days I just forget), but I will say I am following the team pretty closely still. I'm shocked they are doing this well with injuries and the elevation of Morrissey has been incredible. I remember a lot of us being pretty bummed about the Bowness hiring but he seems to be providing something special so far. Hopefully it continues.

Love the resurgence of Scheifele. It hurt to see the selfishness in his game the last few years and it seems like he's been providing more on both ends of the ice again. Scoring on a great pace, too (he's no Josh Norrissey).

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
To be fair he really was never allowed to try to translate under Moe. Maurice loved his shut down guy in JoMo.
Yep. Trouba was somehow the rover in that pairing, then Buff, then the Josh NoMorrissey Lost Years where he dealt with his grief as best he could while dragging plugs and Pionk round the ice and having his every creative spark snuffed out by the bizarre passive D “systems” PM ran.

Watching Norrissey (tm) spread his wings from Dec last season and this has made the team a must watch even when they lose. His first period last night was a masterclass of modern PMD play. Just astonishing.

What a good news story. Long may it run.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The coach Helly worked with in the off season was in concert with Flats, and no NHL level coaches work with players in the off season, so players need to find their own off season help. When Helly won the Vezina he went out of his way to thank Flats and say he couldn't have done it without him. Also, everyone of our recent backups has been over performing expectations, after joining the Jets. Also interestingly we had a complete regime change at the NHL coaching level except for the goalie coach. I'm guessing Bones liked his work and Helly wanted him to stay.

I believe people were on Flats early on because we had really bad goalies he couldn't magically wave a wand and turn into good goalies. And, no one actually knows what really happens with the goalie coach and his goalies so they just threw things at the wall. But, I'd be curious if there is actually something that Flats does or doesn't do that you believe makes him a good or bad goaltending coach. We do this continuously around here for Maurice and he is no longer even with the organization.

I still have a hard time understanding what exactly a goalie coach does. There is very little time in season to work on technique etc.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And to think back to how maligned Flats used to be around here. Just maybe he is one hell of a goalie coach like Helly has always maintained.

I was one calling for a new goalie coach at one time. Evidence seemed to suggest that at the time. Don't know if he is a hell of a goalie coach or just the right one for Helle. I'll take either. But he was also the right one for Brossoit, maybe for Comrie and now appears to be doing alright with BSD. Not the first time I was wrong, won't be the last.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yep. Trouba was somehow the rover in that pairing, then Buff, then the Josh NoMorrissey Lost Years where he dealt with his grief as best he could while dragging plugs and Pionk round the ice and having his every creative spark snuffed out by the bizarre passive D “systems” PM ran.

Watching Norrissey (tm) spread his wings from Dec last season and this has made the team a must watch even when they lose. His first period last night was a masterclass of modern PMD play. Just astonishing.

What a good news story. Long may it run.

Maurice should look at this year's edition of the Jets and realize that he has no business coaching in the NHL. Fire himself from the Panthers and go back into TV. I would welcome him back to Wpg as Sawyer's replacement. :laugh:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Maurice should look at this year's edition of the Jets and realize that he has no business coaching in the NHL. Fire himself from the Panthers and go back into TV. I would welcome him back to Wpg as Sawyer's replacement. :laugh:

I'd offer that job to Claude Noel before Maurice.

He was a much better comedian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad