Post-Game Talk: Sniffly Jets 5 Brady Led Punching Bags 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Well that wasn’t the best Jets performance for a 5-1 win. Talbot was terrible.

But will take it.

Won’t win like that in too many games unless you play against a very bad goalie.

Reactions: Stumbledore

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
After nodding off sometime during the second period, I managed to wake up to watch the third period, so that's my win for tonight...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Of course, now I'm not tired, so maybe I'll do a bit of skeet surfing...

giphy.gif

What? You've never heard of skeet surfing? You guys need to stay abreast of the latest fads you know...

giphy.gif

The Prediction Contest for the game against the Bruins has now been posted and is ready for your guesses. Don't forget to sign up for a GDT. If I can do them, so can you! There are plenty of games to choose from, including the one against Boston...

ezgif-5-8349e14465.gif

• Haha
Reactions: macmaroon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well nice to close put the pre holiday home schedule with a big win. The team got up big and then juat coasted to victory in the third. Given we still have a nice backnto back on the east cost to close out this week I'm QUOTE fine with them taking the foot off the gas to conserve energy.

Big Save Dave made the saves he had to but looked chaotic doing them. Did what he had to.

Norrissey is just on another planet right now. He'd get the Norris from me over Erik, Fox etc right now.

DeMelo was solid and he's been banking some points off of Josh lately.

Dillion was fine for the most part but needs to look up when he has time and make a clean outlet pass. Pionk was solid tonight, nothing flashy at either end.

Snerg needs to get his puck management under control or he needs to sit. He all too often tonight put his teammates in awful positions with passes into feet, dumps to nowhere, and juat plain bad decision making. He was good off the puck but you have to be able to do something with it at this level.

Heinola was ok but I found he played it too safe with the puck in the ozone and early in the game he was looking to defer too much. He needs to gain some confidence and understand that he's skilled enough that he can do things with the puck and make plays. Hopefully he builds on this and we see more next game. Defensively he made some good reads and had some good stops but also had some adventures as well. Unsurprisingly he settled down a lot once played with Dillion in the third. I think both Snerg and Heinola need to play with vets right now.

Top line started slow but had a real good second period. Cole was the star that stirred the drink tonight by tilting the ice and creating some real good looks. There was just no finish by his linemates. Mark was ok but was mishandling the puck at times and missing shots he normally makes. I wonder if he has whatever most of the team had as he doesn't look as energetic as a couple of weeks ago. I get we are short handed but that new guy needs to get moved off the top line. He's neither skilled enough nor does he posses the awareness to play with skilled players. Exhibit A of a depth guy who does is Gagner.

Second line is on fire right now. Conner has found his MOJO and him and Dubois are back terrorizing teams like they did last year. Definitely good to have them going. Gagner as mentioned has the awareness to know where to go and to get them the puck in good positions and let them do the rest.

Third line didn't do much offensively but kept the Tkachuk line at bay all game so job well done.

Fourth line got another goal and had another solid game.

PK was good but I am not happy about our PP. If you are going to have Cole on the top unit then put him in a spot he can contribute in. He is not nor has he ever been a bumper player. He doesn't have the size or shot for that role. I get he's the rookie and the vets feel they are owed the better spots (Dubois moved from the bumper to down low even though he's elite there) but as the coach you need to use your pieces effectively and not play office politics. This is exhibit A why Nik refused to play on unit one when offered in past years.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well nice to close put the pre holiday home schedule with a big win. The team got up big and then juat coasted to victory in the third. Given we still have a nice backnto back on the east cost to close out this week I'm QUOTE fine with them taking the foot off the gas to conserve energy.

Big Save Dave made the saves he had to but looked chaotic doing them. Did what he had to.

Norrissey is just on another planet right now. He'd get the Norris from me over Erik, Fox etc right now.

Dillion was fine for the most part but needs to look up when he has time and make a clean outlet pass. Pionk was solid tonight, nothing flashy at either end.

Snerg needs to get his puck management under control or he needs to sit. He all too often tonight put his teammates in awful positions with passes into feet, dumps to nowhere, and juat plain bad decision making. He was good off the puck but you have to be able to do something with it at this level.

Heinola was ok but I found he played it too safe with the puck in the ozone and early in the game he was looking to defer too much. He needs to gain some confidence and understand that he's skilled enough that he can do things with the puck and make plays. Hopefully he builds on this and we see more next game. Defensively he made some good reads and had some good stops but also had some adventures as well. Unsurprisingly he settled down a lot once played with Dillion in the third. I think both Snerg and Heinola need to play with vets right now.

Top line started slow but had a real good second period. Cole was the star that stirred the drink tonight by tilting the ice and creating some real good looks. There was just no finish by his linemates. Mark was ok but was mishandling the puck at times and missing shots he normally makes. I wonder if he has whatever most of the team had as he doesn't look as energetic as a couple of weeks ago. I get we are short handed but that new guy needs to get moved off the top line. He's neither skilled enough nor does he posses the awareness to play with skilled players. Exhibit A of a depth guy who does is Gagner.

Second line is on fire right now. Conner has found his MOJO and him and Dubois are back terrorizing teams like they did last year. Definitely good to have them going. Gagner as mentioned has the awareness to know where to go and to get them the puck in good positions and let them do the rest.

Third line didn't do much offensively but kept the Tkachuk line at bay all game so job well done.

PK was good but I am not happy about our PP. If you are going to have Cole on the top unit then put him in a spot he can contribute in. He is not nor has he ever been a bumper player. He doesn't have the size or shot for that role. I get he's the rookie and the vets feel they are owed the better spots (Dubois moved from the bumper to down low even though he's elite there) but as the coach you need to use your pieces effectively and not play office politics. This is exhibit A why Nik refused to play on unit one when offered in past years.
I liked that play Berg tried to take puck to net.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
xGoals does not align with the eyetest on this one and it's obvious why. Ottawa gives up lots of cross ice passes and passes from behind the net into the slot that generally don't look that dangerous to the models and they generate a lot of "banging away at the pads" type "shot attempts" that pump those numbers up but don't have a realistic chance of going in.

Best example, Connor's goal off of Morrissey's cross ice pass into an empty net was worth 0.04 xG whereas that "flurry" late in the 3rd with Batherson weakly trying to bang and the puck into the pads while having his stick checked was worth 0.49 xG lol
One if the reasons why it's such a flawed stat. I'll take slot passes to dangerous shooters every time.

We've had bad games, but we haven't often mailed it in, yet you expect us to do so twice in a row? That hasn't happened yet this year so why do you expect it now?

They will play hard but may not be a match for Boston.

I liked that play Berg tried to take puck to net.

Yes that was a good play. But he needs more good plays with the puck and less poor ones.

Reactions: gojetsgo

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Good game to see in person after almost 3 years away.

Hard game to judge given the team looked like they were managing the game especially in the 3rd. Connor with 2 nice ones. Morrissey is on another level this season.

For Ottawa, Zaitsev and Talbot.......oof.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Every time the Jets were pinned in their own end I looked up and saw Pionk on the ice and it worked that way regardless of whether he was paired with Dillion or Samberg. IMO Pionk was our worst D-man by a wide margin tonight.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
One if the reasons why it's such a flawed stat. I'll take slot passes to dangerous shooters every time.

They will play hard but may not be a match for Boston.

Yes that was a good play. But he needs more good plays with the puck and less poor ones.
Maybe not, but we will see how scrappy they are. We are starting to feel the strain of our injuries, but I don't think this team caves. I expect a couple hard fought games going into the break.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Every time the Jets were pinned in their own end I looked up and saw Pionk on the ice and it worked that way regardless of whether he was paired with Dillion or Samberg. IMO Pionk was our worst D-man by a wide margin tonight.

That's what the models say as well. He's been better this year but if we cam pawn him off on someone this offseason I say go for it.

Maybe not, but we will see how scrappy they are. We are starting to feel the strain of our injuries, but I don't think this team caves. I expect a couple hard fought games going into the break.

As do I. I think we get two points out of the last two games.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I think the Sens have some real good young talent I also think they will have a new coach behind the bench next year maybe sooner
I don't think coaching is the central issue. They are young and their D isn't very good. Entering the season I had them outside the playoffs with 85-90 points and I think that estimate still looks reasonable. They just need more talent, particularly on D.

Reactions: kanadalainen

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

Agree with this 1000%. Try Cole in the half wall spot and move Mark to the bumper/slot and things would improve significantly - both players would be in positions where they are better matched to their skill sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad