Smaller Promotions Discussion (MFC, Dream, Sengoku, Invicta, ect)

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Figured it would be useful to have a catch-all thread for Japanese promotions since they don't usually generate enough interest for GDTs. Also this way you can avoid spoilers on the overseas events if you don't stay up all night watching them! I realize K-1 isn't really MMA, but since they also own DREAM and some guys compete in both, I figured I'd lump it in here.

I think most of the regs here are familiar with MMA in Japan, but if you aren't then here's a mini-primer:

What are the major Japanese MMA promotions?

The two biggest ones right now are DREAM and Sengoku. They're pretty similar with only a couple of differences in terms of rules (see below). In general DREAM attracts bigger names and puts on a bigger production, but Sengoku has developed into a solid promotion as well. Both have only been around for about a year and a half, and came out of the dissolution of PRIDE, which ran from about 1997-2007 and was pretty much the pinnacle of MMA in Japan. Many former PRIDE fighters have ended up in the UFC (Rampage Jackson, Wanderlei Silva, Minotauro Nogueira and Dan Henderson, among others) but some stuck around Japan as well.

K-1 is owned by the same people as DREAM and as a result has some fighters who compete in both. It's a kickboxing organization though, so no ground fighting (although apparently Badr Hari forgot this at the GP finals last year...)

There are other promotions like Shooto, DEEP, GCM and some others but I know next to nothing about them.

What are the main differences between MMA in Japan and North America?

There are a few major ones:

- MMA in Japan is usually fought in a ring rather than a cage. This usually results in better visibility (at least for people there) but has the unfortunate side effect that fights often have to be stopped and restarted when fighters get close to or caught in the ropes.
- Scoring is a bit different depending on the organization. Rather than using the 10-point must system that boxing and most MMA orgs use, some Japanese promotions score the fight as a whole. (Basically, the guy you think "won" the fight wins the decision, not the guy who won the most rounds). Also, DREAM currently has a 10-minute first round and 5-minute second round, which is a holdover from PRIDE. Sengoku uses the North American system of three 5-minute rounds, with championship fights being 5 rounds (however, I don't think they use 10-point must for scoring).
- Elbowing an opponent's head on the ground is not allowed, but kneeing the head of a downed opponent is. Soccer kicking or stomping a downed opponent is not allowed in either DREAM or Sengoku, unlike PRIDE.
- There aren't really official sanctioning bodies in Japan, and in general MMA is more geared towards entertainment than it is in North America (where it's treated more strictly as a sport). This results in the odd infamous "freakshow" match that would never get sanctioned over here but sells tickets over there. Some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUSdLcq2FF0
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8687255343464345443
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54wAIiMvUlQ

Who are the biggest names in those organizations?
A non-exhaustive list in no particular order:

DREAM
Shinya Aoki is a really good submission fighter who unfortunately got his face caved in in about 30 seconds in his last fight. Not sure what he's up to next.
Hayato "Mach" Sakurai is the guy who caved his face in to advance to the next round of their welterweight Grand Prix
Tatsuya "Crusher" Kawajiri is a pretty well-rounded, aggressive lightweight. He's fighting Gesias "JZ" Calvancante in DREAM's next show.
Joachim "Hellboy" Hansen won DREAM's lightweight Grand Prix as an alternate last year, but hasn't fought since. He was supposed to fight on New Year's eve but had some kind of head injury and I haven't heard any news since then.
Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto is one of the biggest stars in Japan and probably the favourite to win DREAM's ongoing featherweight grand prix.
Gegard Mousasi won DREAM's middleweight grand prix last year but also hasn't fought since. He's moving up to 205 lbs and is rumored to be fighting Sokoudjou on DREAM's upcoming card.

Sengoku
Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal is a pretty good light heavyweight prospect who's just starting his career over in Japan.
Takanori "Fireball Kid" Gomi was one of PRIDE's biggest stars but has hit a bit of a rough patch lately with two straight losses. I'm not actually sure if he's still fighting in Sengoku
Satoru Kitaoka won Sengoku's lightweight Grand Prix and handed Gomi his last loss.
Jorge Santiago is their middleweight Grand Prix champ but I don't know what he's up to right now.

What's coming up next?

Both DREAM and Sengoku have cards coming up in May, and both will feature the second round of each org's respective featherweight grand prix. As I mentioned, DREAM's has bigger names in it, but I actually thought the first round of Sengoku's was much more entertaining.

http://mmajunkie.com/event/618/world-victory-roads-sengoku-eighth-battle.mma
Sengoku Eighth Battle said:
NON-TOURNAMENT BOUTS

* Leonardo Santos vs. Kazunori Yokota
* Alexandre "Xande" Ribeiro vs. Keiichiro Yamamiya
* Michael Costa vs. Makoto Takimoto
* Stanislav Nedkov vs. Travis Wiuff

FEATHERWEIGHT GRAND PRIX SECOND ROUND

* Hatsu Hioki vs. Ronnie Mann
* Michihiro Omigawa vs. Nam Phan
* Masanoru Kanehara vs. Chan Sung Jung
* Marlon Sandro vs. Nick Denis
http://mmajunkie.com/event/626/dream-9.mma
DREAM 9 said:
NON-TOURNAMENT BOUTS

* Gegard Mousasi vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou*
* Gesias "JZ" Cavalvante vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri*
* Paulo Filho vs. TBA*
* Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza vs. TBA*

FEATHERWEIGHT GRAND PRIX SECOND ROUND

* Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. Joe Warren
* Bibiano Fernandes vs. Masakazu Imanari
* Yoshiro Maeda vs. Hiroyuki Takaya
* Abel Cullum vs. Hideo Tokoro

* - Not officially announced

DREAM is also running a welterweight grand prix, though I don't think the next round has been announced yet. The 4 finalists are Sakurai, Andre Galvao, Jason High and Marius Zaromskis.

Last edited:

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
Dream 9's fight card looks ****ing rediclious.. every one of the 4 fights you listed is good enough for a main event, and you also for got CroCop is going to have a fight also

oh and Jacare is looking to fight Mayham

im still pissed that i missed Sengoku 7, if anybodys gota link to that please please pm me

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Here's one for the "only in Japan" file:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/4/23/849926/fedor-emelianenko-vs-shinya-aoki

The rumors are true: MMA's undisputed #1 heavyweight and Japan's top lightweight will square off in a special exhibition match at next Wednesday's DEEP/M-1 Challenge event. DEEP President Shigeru Saeki and Shinya Aoki announced the fight today at a press conference in Tokyo; Fedor was not present, though his manager Vadim Finkelstein and Affliction VP Tom Atencio are said to be in Japan at the moment. The specifications and rules for the bout have not been finalized, but Saeki likened it to this week's K-1 MAX exhibition between Masato and 17-year-old kickboxing phenom HIROYA. (For what it's worth, HIROYA wore headgear and both parties wore shinguards.) Due to the weight difference between the two, this will presumably be a pure grappling or Sambo match. Aoki says he's pleased to be able to set foot in the ring with "the symbol of MMA."

:biglaugh:

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
im assume it will be pure grappling which I though Aoki would win by magic pants.. but Fedor also has magic pants.. the man truly is unstoppable

shinyae.jpg

oh and its Mayhem vs Jacare for MW Title Officially Announced for DREAM 9

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
big K-1 World Max event on HD net this weeked :yo:

This is on in about 3 hours for people who haven't seen it yet. I watched a few fights online and they were pretty good, including one of the nastiest body shot KO's I've ever seen as well as

[spoil]a mulleted dutchman beating the **** out of a crossdressing Japanese dude. Only in Japan folks! :laugh:[/spoil]

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
A few notes (hopefully they aren't already posted):

-Jacare vs. Mayhem is now official for for Dream 9 (for the MW title)
-Dream 10 will have a Hellboy/Aoki rematch

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
A few notes (hopefully they aren't already posted):

-Jacare vs. Mayhem is now official for for Dream 9 (for the MW title)
-Dream 10 will have a Hellboy/Aoki rematch

posted it in the anouncment thread.. :p:

Man does Dream keep comming up with great Fight cards

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
Still can't quite believe this is happening

28uk7lc.jpg

Pretty crazy that Aoki looks almost the same size (well height, anyways) as Fedor though.

gota love perspective, it can make 5'9" guy look 6'0"
i know its just and exibition match, but Aoki should be getting his ass in gear and training hard for his Hellboy fight

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Well, DREAM 9 just took a turn for the ****ing crazy. As well as the second round of the featherweight GP, it now includes the opening round of another GP:

Bob Sapp vs Minowaman
Jan "The Giant" Nortje vs Sokoudjou
Gegard Mousasi vs Mark Hunt
Hong Man Choi vs Jose Canseco

I am not making this up

http://dreamofficial.com/

:shakehead

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
He's going to need more than roids for this one. Has he ever fought before anywhere? I'm not sure he'd beat Choi even if they let him use a bat.
He had a boxing match against some guy who used to play for the Eagles (Philly not the band) and got his ass handed to him in the 1st round. He looked absolutely clueless in the fight.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
To all you Japanese fans, how good is Yoshihiro Akiyama? I really know little to nothing about him but he seems to come with a fair amount of hype. How good is he? Will he challenge Anderson, if so how far away is he?

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
To all you Japanese fans, how good is Yoshihiro Akiyama? I really know little to nothing about him but he seems to come with a fair amount of hype. How good is he? Will he challenge Anderson, if so how far away is he?

Its realy hard to say, transfering from a ring to a cage can be a big problem for some fighters such as crocop.

But with that he does have to tools to take on Sliva eventaly i.e. he doesnt go to brawl mode after takeing a punch.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
I don't have a problem with guys like Sapp, Choi, even Hunt fighting in freakshow matches but I think it's a criminal waste of talent for Mousasi and Soko to be involved in it :(

This. I don't get it either, I thought Soko and Mousasi were going to fight each other and that was something I was looking forward to. :shakehead

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

This....this.......this is just........:laugh:. Hell , even Vince Mchamon wouldn't be able to pull **** like that. From Fedor to Cro Cop to.....Jose Canseco. Nice resume for HMC.

Well , all i can say is R.I.P Jose. Yeah i know it's HMC but **** he's going kill that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad