Smaller Promotions Discussion (MFC, Dream, Sengoku, Invicta, ect)

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Finally caught the event...well most of it. The DVR cut out around the halfway mark of Kid/Warren round 1. It's too bad that JZ and Yamamoto had such layoffs, I don't think we saw either of them at their peak. Kawajiri was very sharp though, and showed great discipline in sticking to his game plan.

Tokoro/Cullum round 1 is what all MMA fans die for.

Solid event for being in HD and free. If Guy Mezger doesn't commentate ever again, I'd be delighted. A few times I think Mike Kogan wanted to slap him a few times.

And what was up with Sokoudjou with all those shots after the ref got in? Maybe some old world feud. :dunno:

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
The commentary on the whole was nauseating, Kogan, Mezger and Schiavello kept talking over each other and interrupting, not to mention that half of what Schiavello says would be rejected by Mauro Ranello as being too cornball. I hope they get rid of that broadcast team for the next event.

Finally got caught up on the event myself. The Super Hulk thing was dumb but fun... I don't even know what the heck that was that Sapp tapped out to, I'm not even sure that Minowa was trying to submit him at that point or whether he was just transitioning to something else. I'd swear it was a worked fight, but I actually don't doubt that Sapp is capable of sucking that badly. Can't wait for Minowa/Choi next round :laugh:

I actually would have given the Kid/Warren fight to Kid by a hair, I thought he landed a lot of really good shots standing up, more than Warren managed to do on the ground. Full credit to Warren for the win though, that guy has a hell of a chin. If he draws Fernandes next round he'll have to be careful though because he doesn't look all that submission-savvy yet.

Shame about the Jacare/Miller fight -- it's always seemed weird to me how squeamish the Japanese promotions are about fighters bleeding, given that the fights themselves tend to be more brutal with stomps and knees on the ground. That cut didn't seem to be interfering with Jacare's vision at all.

Kreed

Oct 22, 2006
Good show much better than the last 2 DREAMS, I might be in the minority but I actually enjoyed the hulk tournament stuff, it might've sounded dumb in theory but it didnt turn out that way..I was kind of surprised with how good canseco looked for a minute or 2 :sarcasm:..Mousasi seems like hes still a problem, shame about KID..Can someone in the know tell me why he hasnt fought in such a long azz while..

I can understand why soakajouu did what he did, winning hasnt come easy for him since pride..I dont know why the british commentator was acting like it was some rare occurrence though.. I really hope he has a new camp cuz team quest seem to have a passive mentality towards losing..How many times does one have to gas before you work on cardio..The less said about the main event the better, and what the hell is miller doing fighting for it..It should have been jacare's opponent in the semi versus melvin and whoever wins faces jacare

Am I the only one that hates bob sapp? hes such a fukin ******* I wish he would just get lost..When is his match with lashley

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I give Dream 9 an 8 out of 10. Good but not quite as great I was hoping for mostly because a couple of really lackluster fights (Imanari & Fernandez was a snoozer) and of course the main event ending the way it did. Fortunately for us Tokoro & Cullum put on a frickin' SHOW then again I knew Abel would. Tokoro looks better than I've ever seen him and will be tough to beat. I like Warren though his guts over Yamamoto were impressive and it'll be hard to beat someone of his pedigree.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
http://nightmareofbattle.wordpress....nent-announced-the-crusher-in-k-1-once-again/

Masato’s July 13 K-1 MAX opponent was announced at an open to the public press conference in Tokyo today. Not surprisingly, he will face DREAM fighter Tatsuya Kawajiri who will fight in K-1 for the second time. The fight will be 3×3 minutes with a possible 3 minute extension.

Update: Masato said at the presser that if he loses, there will be no fight on NYE.

FieLDS K-1 WORLD MAX 2009 World Championship Tournament -FINAL8-
Date: July 13th, 2009
Place: Nippon Budokan in Tokyo, Japan

Superfights (3×3, 1×3 Ext.):
Masato vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri

K-1 World MAX 2009 Tournament FINAL8 Fights (3×3, 1×3 Ext.):
DRAGO vs. Yuya Yamamoto
Giorgio Petrosyan vs. Albert Kraus
Artur Kyshenko vs. Andy Souwer
Buakaw Por.Pramuk vs. Nieky “The Natural†Holtzken

I've only gotten into K-1 recently but from what I've heard, Masato is a pretty tall order for Kawajiri even though he did look good in his K-1 debut last year. But I'll keep my fingers crossed for some CRUSHING :clap:

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
K-1 Max GP quarterfinals on tonight/early tomorrow. Not sure if HDNet is showing it live or not. I'll have to catch them online sometime later this week at any rate.
Fight 11 : Super Fight : K-1 Rules / 3Min. 3R Ext. 1R
MASATO VS Tatsuya Kawajiri

Fight #10 : Reserve Fight : K-1 Rules / 3Min. 3R Ext. 1R
Yoshihiro Sato VS Joeri Mes

Fight #9 : Reserve Fight : K-1 Rules / 3Min. 3R Ext. 1R
Yasuhiro Kido VS Leroy Kaestner

Fight #8 : Super Fight : K-1 Rules / 3Min. 3R Ext. 1R
Jae hee Cheon VS Norifumi "KID" Yamamoto

Fight #7 : Super Fight : K-1 Rules / 3Min. 3R Ext. 1R
Kazuhisa Watanabe VS Atsushi Yamamoto

Fight #6 : FINAL8 : K-1 Rules / 3Min. 3R Ext. 1R
Nieky "The Natural" Holtzken VS Buakaw Por. Pramuk

Fight #5 : FINAL8 : K-1 Rules / 3Min. 3R Ext. 1R
Artur Kyshenko VS Andy Souwer

Fight #4 : FINAL8 : K-1 Rules / 3Min. 3R Ext. 1R
Albert Kraus VS Giorgo Petrosyan

Fight #3 : FINAL8 : K-1 Rules / 3Min. 3R Ext. 1R
Drago VS Yuya Yamamoto

Fight #2 : Super Fight : K-1 Rules / 3Min. 3R Ext. 1R
HIROYA VS Kiko Lopez

Fight #1 : Super Fight : K-1 Rules / 3Min. 3R Ext. 1R
HINATA VS Dzhabar "Chengiskhan" Askerov

Opening Fight : K-1 Rules / 3Min. 3R
Go Yokoyama VS Jae Gil Noh

bis0lx.jpg

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Watched some of the other fights, spoilery stuff to follow (in tags)

[spoil]
-Kid getting KO'd cold in like a minute was pretty nuts. Getting reckless and taking his opponent too lightly, or just getting a bit slower with age? I dunno.
-The fight his brother Atsushi had with some other crazy guy was hilarious, definitely worth watching if only for entertainment value.
-Petrosyan's head movement is sick, Kraus was whiffing on like 4 out of 5 punches he threw. Gotta like him to take the tourney at this point I think. Souwer/Kyshenko was a pretty great fight as well.
-Kawajiri I thought did pretty well all things considered. Yeah he was really outclassed and ended up getting TKO'd, but for only his second K-1 fight and against a former champ, he had nothing to be ashamed of. He stood in with him and wasn't afraid to trade, and refused to go down until his corner threw in the towel. The last 20 second or so of the fight are pretty nuts, you can see some media guys in the audience jumping up and down screaming for him to go down but he just won't :yo:.[/spoil]

Also DREAM 10 is next weekend, but again I dunno whether it'll be aired live here or not. They must be planning to announce some more fights this week because as it stands the card is pretty thin.

Welterweight Grand Prix

*Jason High vs. André Galvão
*Hayato Sakurai vs. Marius Zaromskis
*Winner of Hayato Sakurai/Marius Zaromskis vs. Jason High/André Galvão

Other bouts
*Vitor Ribeiro vs Shinya Aoki
*André Dida Amade vs Katsunori Kikuno
*Paulo Filho vs Melvin Manhoef

They need at least one reserve bout for the tourney, probably someone to replace CroCop against Mighty Mo, maybe a couple more to round things out. That's a lot to get done in a week but par for the course in Japan I guess.

Have to figure that the WWGP final will be Mach vs Galvao though of course anything can happen. That's a hard fight to pick though, Mach obviously has tons more experience, but Galvao's grappling is sick. In the end I'll go with Mach but I'm not all that confident that he can avoid getting caught in something.

Shaolin I think has the solid technical grappling to ride out a decision over Aoki, and Filho/Manhoef has huge gongshow potential but Melvin's sub defense is so bad that I gotta go with Filho despite having no idea what kind of shape he's in for this fight. Though if he starts talking to ghosts again or whatever midfight he's going to get a fist right through his face.

Hopefully it's as good as the first round was, that was one of my favourite cards so far this year and all four tourney fights were sweet.

Last edited:

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
20090715025147_IMG_5501-3a4.JPG

Filho looks kinda fat and obviously still isn't of sound mind given that he thought it was a good idea to get a tattoo of a million dollar bill with a pitbull on it, as well as "REWARD HUNTER". Maybe I should change my pick to Manhoef.

edit: oh yeah, K-1 MAX Final 8 is on HDNet tonight at 10ET if you haven't seen it yet. Definitely watch Yamamoto vs Drago if nothing else.

Last edited:

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Well this was somewhat amusing to say the least: Rampage knocks "King" Mo Lawal down a peg...or eight. Bobby Lashley looks to be enjoying himself as well.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
All the GP fights were great, the others were mostly ok with a couple of stinkers. Filho-Manhoef was cool though, it couldn't have gone any more like I expected it to :laugh:

[spoil]I hope Jason High is alright, that's two fights this year that he's been brutally KO'd, I hate to say someone that young needs to hang 'em up but that can't be good for your future :([/spoil]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->