Smaller Promotions Discussion (MFC, Dream, Sengoku, Invicta, ect)

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Reminder that Sengoku 8 is on tonight/early Saturday morning, and it's airing live on HDNet starting at 3am ET

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14749/sengoku-eighth-battle-weigh-in-results.mma

FEATHERWEIGHT GRAND PRIX SECOND ROUND

* Hatsu Hioki (143.3lbs/65.0kg) vs. Ronnie Mann (142.6lbs/64.7kg)
* Michihiro Omigawa (142.6lbs/64.7kg) vs. Nam Phan (142.9lbs/64.8kg)
* Masanoru Kanehara (142.9lbs/64.8kg) vs. Chan Sung Jung (143.3lbs/65.0kg)
* Marlon Sandro (143.1lbs/64.9kg) vs. Nick Denis (142.4lbs/64.6kg)

NON-TOURNAMENT BOUTS

* Leonardo Santos (154.1lbs/69.9kg) vs. Kazunori Yokota (154.1lbs/69.9kg)
* Maximo Blanco (154.1lbs/69.9kg) vs. Akihiko Mouri (154.1lbs/69.9kg)
* Alexandre "Xande" Ribeiro (203.5lbs/92.3kg) vs. Keiichiro Yamamiya (202.8lbs/92.0kg)
* Stanislav Nedkov (202.6lbs/91.9kg) vs. Travis Wiuff (204.8lbs/92.9kg)
* Michael Costa (167.3lbs./75.9kg) vs. Makoto Takimoto (166.2lbs/75.4kg)
* Kota Ishibashi (147.5lbs/66.9kg) vs. Shigeki Osawa (147.7lbs/67.0kg)

If you missed the first round of the tournament, here's a brief summary of why it kicked ass:

Korean Zombies
29z9zed.gif

A guy getting choked out standing
313gnqx.gif

Nick "THE NINJA OF LOVE" Denis (go Canada!)
250rnur.gif

I'm going with Hioki, Sandro, Jung and Phan going through. Phan/Omigawa is a tough one to call though. Omigawa looked surprisingly good in his opening round match against LC Davis.

Pure Rock Fury*

Who does like Canseco anymore?

I grew up here idolizing the bash brothers, and now I dislike both.

I don't mind Canseco blowing the whistle on everyone. What I do mind is him doing it just so he can sell copies of his book (which is probably written in crayon).

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Kind of OT but if you haven't read the article "Chasing Jose" you should do so immediately, it's hilarious. What a trainwreck that guy is.

Sample:

After the trial, Jose put his $2.6 million house in South Florida up for sale. He had several offers on it, but decided to take the offer of over $2 million in Mexican telephone stock, which he was prohibited from selling for two years, at which time, the buyer guaranteed him, the stock would be worth $5 million. Two years later, Jose sold the stock for $15,000.

:laugh:

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Sengoku 8 killed my PVR. I set my box to record it, and it recorded like a dozen different recordings. Wiped my whole library of shows/movies I'd recorded previously but still hadn't watched. I'm chapped. :rant:

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Sengoku 8 was great, its a shame that Chan Sung Jung lost on a home town descion...

ehhh I dunno about that. Granted I was watching at like 2:30 am but I thought Kanehara won the first two rounds so I probably would have given it to him as well. It was a close fight for sure.

I was most surprised at how good Omigawa looked, especially his striking. It's improved by leaps and bounds. Though the way Sandro/Denis went down was surprising too, obviously.

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
ehhh I dunno about that. Granted I was watching at like 2:30 am but I thought Kanehara won the first two rounds so I probably would have given it to him as well. It was a close fight for sure.

I was most surprised at how good Omigawa looked, especially his striking. It's improved by leaps and bounds. Though the way Sandro/Denis went down was surprising too, obviously.

IMO Kanehara definatly had the first round but the 2nd & 3rd where all Jung in my mind but i think that second round is all on what you think scores more.. take down or defence or damage or action.

Omigawa seams to be growing with each round.

Sandro/Denis had the outcome I expected but yah.. wow did not think it would end like that though.. i am impressed by Sandro's diversity.

Second matchins knees to the nuts where hard to watch....:cry:

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
To all you Japanese fans, how good is Yoshihiro Akiyama? I really know little to nothing about him but he seems to come with a fair amount of hype. How good is he? Will he challenge Anderson, if so how far away is he?

I've seen all of Akiyama's fights in Pride. I'm actually not of the opinion he'll be challenging Anderson Silva. I actually think a great matchup against him would be Dan Henderson, in my opinion they are about of equal level with (IMO) the slight edge to Dan. This is mostly because Akiyama has been fed so many weak fights that it's really hard to guess what his potential really is.

The biggest surprise about Akiyama is ground control game is really fantastic. If he can beat Belcher then he may be in near-contention with the way Dana White is playing things these days so we might be able to see him fight Silva yet. IMO it'd be a short night for him though as he's just not on that level.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
I've seen all of Akiyama's fights in Pride. I'm actually not of the opinion he'll be challenging Anderson Silva. I actually think a great matchup against him would be Dan Henderson, in my opinion they are about of equal level with (IMO) the slight edge to Dan. This is mostly because Akiyama has been fed so many weak fights that it's really hard to guess what his potential really is.

The biggest surprise about Akiyama is ground control game is really fantastic. If he can beat Belcher then he may be in near-contention with the way Dana White is playing things these days so we might be able to see him fight Silva yet. IMO it'd be a short night for him though as he's just not on that level.

Thanks.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Haha well I guess it's really happening folks!

http://nightmareofbattle.wordpress.com/

rwow39.jpg

Jose Canseco arrived to Japan today when his flight landed at Narita Airport. He told the press: “I don’t even know whether my punches can reach Choi’s head or not. While having a tight defense and using my footwork well to move around, I want to take him down and end it on the ground with a submission.â€

He also said that he has trained his punches, kicks, etc. at 3, 4 gyms near his house and has focused especially on stamina because of the 10 minute first round.
Choi was present at the DREAM.9 press conference today and when talking to the press said: “I saw the video of his (Canseco’s) Boxing fight and I thought it was pitiful.â€

:lol:

Of course there are real fights with real fighters going on early Tuesday morning as well, here's some predictions:

Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Gesias "JZ" Calvancante (Decision): Both are great fighters but Kawajiri really seems to have hit his stride lately while JZ will be coming off a long layoff.
Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller (Decision): Both are coming off embarrassing losses: Jacare getting KO'd by an upkick and Mayhem having his pants stolen by Aoki and Imanari. Of course they also fought back in the DREAM GP last year with Jacare taking a pretty one-sided grappling-based decision. Mayhem could take it if he can keep the fight standing, but I expect another similar victory for Jacare.

Dream Featherweight Grand Prix Quarter-Final Bouts:
Masakazu Imanari vs. Bibiano Fernandes (Decision): Imanari is always dangerous with leglocks but I think Fernandes is disciplined enough as a grappler to stay out of trouble and grind out a decision.
Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. Joe Warren (Decision):
Joe Warren @ bloodyelbow.com said:
"A lot of people, they don't know that I'm gonna be the next world champ at 63 kilos in a few months, and come back [to the States] and rip a hole through whoever wants to fight me here... We plan on putting my kneecap through ["Kid" Yamamoto's] temple, that's what we plan on doing. Front headlocking him and kneeing him until my knee goes through his face. And then, if he doesn't stop, they're gonna have to stop it."
Not sure I see that happening, but I think he'll acquit himself pretty well against a rusty Kid, before losing in a questionable hometown decision.
Yoshiro Maeda vs. Hiroyuki Takaya (TKO) - Both favour striking but I think Maeda is simply better.
Abel Cullum vs. Hideo Tokoro (Decision) - Cullum looked pretty good in his opening round win while Tokoro actually lost his fight but got in because his opponent hurt himself too badly to fight in the GP.

Dream Super Hulk Tournament Quarter-Final Bouts (Open Weight):
Gegard Mousasi vs. Mark Hunt (Decision): The only fight I'm a little unsure of since Hunt is one of three actual decent fighters in this tournament. Unfortunately he's fighting one of the other three, and I think Mousasi's quickness will let him score points and avoid any heavy punishment. After Hunt got KO'd by Manhoef I'm even wondering if Mousasi could do the same, though I'm not sure if he hits as hard as Melvin.
Bob Sapp vs. Ikuhisa Minowa (TKO): I guess a leglock by Minowa is always possible, but it's infinitely more likely that he'll get totally mauled by Sapp inside of a couple minutes.
Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Jan Nortje (TKO): Soko has hit rough times lately, but Nortje is slow and awful.
Hong Man Choi vs. Jose Canseco (TKO): hahahahahaah

Last edited:

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Hey colonel_korn, nice to see a fellow MMA fan who knows his stuff. Great thread in general!

I'm stoked for Dream 9 but it's on just too late for me so I'll catch it tomorrow. After his first fight I'm rooting for Abel Cullum to take the FW tournament but the winner of Warren/Yamamoto may still be the favorite.

Still can't believe Canseco is fighting, I guess money is tight. I really have a hard time believing he couldn't have just done another reality show and made some cash but maybe these TV networks are finally tightening their purse strings when it comes to crazy reality ****. I seriously hope Choi doesn't really injure him though. Fun is fun but this guy is an amatuer and I really doubt he understands fully what he's getting into.

paymecashnow22

Mar 25, 2009
watching it since i got home from work. watched the complete takaya comeback. sick knockout. It replays right after. cant wait to see Jose get Tko'd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad