Post-Game Talk: Slip Sliding Away Jets lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Surely the hurly-burly of the Jets’ recent play, not to mention all those battles lost and few won, to the tune of league worst or damn near it since Jan, suggests a Macbethean turn towards the emetic?

Let‘s away with some bardly boosts of good feeling to gee on yon Jets so that they win a feckin game ere the setting of the sun —

And do not bow out of this playoff race mewling and puking.

As it were.

Personally I prefer your poems…

Noted. I'm unbelievably frustrated with this team.

tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

Tired with all these losses, for their restful death I cry,
As to behold goals desert KFC (a beggar born),
And needy Wheels trimm’d in jollity,
And purest faith in Helly unhappily forsworn,
And gilded Shuffles shot shamefully misplac’d,
And maiden virtue in our PP rudely strumpeted,
And right finishing perfection wrongfully disgrac’d,
And zone entried strength by limping sway disabled
And 5 on 5 power made tongue-tied by authority,
And folly—bottom 6-like—controlling skill,
And simple truth miscall’d simplicity,
And captive good attending captainless ills:
Tired with all these, from these would I be reborn,
Save that, to win, I leave my disgust shorn.

Attachments

• 1678387657920.jpeg
    1678387657920.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I think it is time for a coaching change. I had the privilege of watching JohnnyOnTheSpot coach his team. The Jet's need a coach like him that runs his team with passion and commitment. Johnny's players would jump through a brick wall for him. I just don't see that attitude with the Jets. I think they look at Bones as just one of the guys. I hope one day Johnny is part of the Jet's coaching staff.
I would love an opportunity to show old Bones how it is done and would hire Teppo as the waterboy.
Although I would prefer to coach the Wild who seem to care and should make it to the cup.

The powerplay is a problem. It doesn't need to be Oilers level but for the last month or so, for the most part it feels like 2 minutes of perimeter play and failed zone entries.

Forecheck which was a strength earlier this season, is basically non-existent most nights
Thd Oilers pp is a thing of beauty but they do have 2 of the top 5 best players in the world on it.

Reactions: GNP and hn777

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

Tired with all these losses, for their restful death I cry,
As to behold goals desert KFC (a beggar born),
And needy Wheels trimm’d in jollity,
And purest faith in Helly unhappily forsworn,
And gilded Shuffles shot shamefully misplac’d,
And maiden virtue in our PP rudely strumpeted,
And right finishing perfection wrongfully disgrac’d,
And zone entried strength by limping sway disabled
And 5 on 5 power made tongue-tied by authority,
And folly—bottom 6-like—controlling skill,
And simple truth miscall’d simplicity,
And captive good attending captainless ills:
Tired with all these, from these would I be reborn,
Save that, to win, I leave my disgust shorn.
Bravo! You managed to convey in your prose the current queasy effect of Jets hockey on the fan while effectively dialing back the graphic aspects of your previous posts.

Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Previously lower body
Now upper body
Whole body injury.

Bravo! You managed to convey in your prose the current queasy effect of Jets hockey on the fan while effectively dialing back the graphic aspects of your previous posts.
Thanks.. I just put 'em together to reflect my feelings. Weirdly its much easier when all has gone straight to hell. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
I know he's the least of our problems but Josh Morrisey is now down to the 37th best D man per Corsi

First goal last night he didn't step up into his man and the second goal he exited the D zone super quick to jump up into play early and got caught for the breakaway

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The storm is coming! The Jets absolutely must start looking into their rebuild which includes drafting a defensive dman in the draft, ideally in the 1st round. The mock drafts dictate that only 4 dmen are projected to go in the 1st round with the 4th possibly slipping out of the 1st round.

Mikhail Gulyayev - 12th
Axel SandinPellikka - 14th
David Reinbacher - 16th
Lukas Dragicevic - 32nd

Michael Hrabal - goalie of the future?

The Jets have some forwards in the cupboard atleast.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would love an opportunity to show old Bones how it is done and would hire Teppo as the waterboy.
Although I would prefer to coach the Wild who seem to care and should make it to the cup.

Thd Oilers pp is a thing of beauty but they do have 2 of the top 5 best players in the world on it.
I've got to ask this for those who have watched a lot of Moose games this year. What's the chances Ville Heinola could help the PP right here and now? It's unchartered territory, but as someone who watched a lot of Montreal Canadiens games with Mark Streit and then Marc Andre Bergeron on the point, a guy who can effectively run a PP can put points on the board, even in limited minutes. I still wonder what analytics would say about running 7 defensemen. Even if Ville can't play PP1, PP2 he can bring some skating into the defense, which changes so many angles of attacks. I know it's not going to happen on the road trip. But maybe Stanley could get PP2 instead of Schmidt, where you have a shooter from the point. I'm glad Bones finally took Stenlund off the PP, because that's almost as bad as having Riley Nash on your PP, the default veteran is probably not a better option than Morgan Barron for instance.

Reactions: hn777 and Jack7222

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Central
Dal 98.0%
Minn 96.7%
Col 90.0%
Winn 69.4%
Nash 16.5%

Pacific
Sea 97.3%
Edm 96.6%
Vegas 94.8%
Los 90.9%
Cal 49.9%

I don't know who does their math, but Nash and Cal are both within spitting distance to the Jets . Nashville more so being just 6 pts back with 4 games in hand. Unlikely maybe, but still better than 16.5% IMO with the Jets sliding.
I believe they take the schedule into account.
If you are playing bottom feeders you will win more than 50% ... if you play the top teams you will lose more than 50%.
Dallas has had the most luck with their loser points plus no major injuries and if Kirill is out for awhile I can see the Wild losing a few games so anything can happen.

Reactions: kanadalainen

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The storm is coming! The Jets absolutely must start looking into their rebuild which includes drafting a defensive dman in the draft, ideally in the 1st round. The mock drafts dictate that only 4 dmen are projected to go in the 1st round with the 4th possibly slipping out of the 1st round.

Mikhail Gulyayev - 12th
Axel SandinPellikka - 14th
David Reinbacher - 16th
Lukas Dragicevic - 32nd

Michael Hrabal - goalie of the future?

The Jets have some forwards in the cupboard atleast.

Defensive defencemen are increasingly no longer a team's number 1 defenceman. You need some offence at the back. Defensive d-men are easier to fill in the gaps with than a true number 1 who is well rounded.

Reactions: surixon and Huffer

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Yes, a precipitous drop over the last few weeks. For some reason the oddsmakers have us in a dogfight with the Flames for that last spot. Not sure why they’re ignoring the Predators (<20% according to MoneyPuck).
Its simple to figure out ...the Preds last 13 game they only played 3 playoff teams and lost all 3.
Their schedule has them playing 16 of their last 17 games against playoff teams which includes the Jetsx2 and one with the Flames ... how many games do you think they will win?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've got to ask this for those who have watched a lot of Moose games this year. What's the chances Ville Heinola could help the PP right here and now? It's unchartered territory, but as someone who watched a lot of Montreal Canadiens games with Mark Streit and then Marc Andre Bergeron on the point, a guy who can effectively run a PP can put points on the board, even in limited minutes. I still wonder what analytics would say about running 7 defensemen. Even if Ville can't play PP1, PP2 he can bring some skating into the defense, which changes so many angles of attacks. I know it's not going to happen on the road trip. But maybe Stanley could get PP2 instead of Schmidt, where you have a shooter from the point. I'm glad Bones finally took Stenlund off the PP, because that's almost as bad as having Riley Nash on your PP, the default veteran is probably not a better option than Morgan Barron for instance.

If him and Cole where allowed to play in motion like they did together on the Moose it would create the foundation of a good and modern pp.

I find that it doesn't matter who is on our number 1 unit, it is the same stationary monstrosity that we've seen for years now. I'm not sure if it's personnel or systems at this point.

Last edited:

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I was loving the game up the point we were down 1-0 but outplaying them by a huge margin. Then I got some potentially fabulous news and missed the rest of the game.
Ahhh, the HF equivalent of Vaguebooking :laugh:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If him and Cole where allowed to play in motion like they did together on the Moose it would create the foundation of a good and modern pp.

I find that it doesn't matter who is on our number 1 unti it is the same stationary monstrosity that we've seen for years now. I'm not sure if it's personnel or systems at rhis point.
Too much passing on the PP ... the Jets need to watch videos of the top teams PP.
Look at the PP goals Draisaitl scored on the Jets one he was standing at the side of the net waiting for rebound and the other was a quick defection pass where he was going to the net. McDavid didn't stop the puck to pass it to him ... in a split second all he did was redirect the pass to Draisaitl no chance for the D or goalie. That's what the Jets need to do: 1. stand in front of the net and 2. stop with the passing do the defection shot passes ... the D has no time to think/recover.

Reactions: GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Too much passing on the PP ... the Jets need to watch videos of the top teams PP.
Look at the PP goals Draisaitl scored on the Jets one he was standing at the side of the net waiting for rebound and the other was a quick defection pass where he was going to the net. McDavid didn't stop the puck to pass it to him ... in a split second all he did was redirect the pass to Draisaitl no chance for the D or goalie. That's what the Jets need to do: 1. stand in front of the net and 2. stop with the passing do the defection shot passes ... the D has no time to think/recover.

It's not necessarily too much passing its that we telegraph and move the puck too slowly that it doesn't open up lanes. You can't shoot if there is no lane, it will just get blocked and cleared.

The team needs to start moving the puck quickly and then shooting when those lanes open up.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Lots of lamentation here but realistically this is exactly where most of us "positive thinking" types were hoping we'd be if you go back to the start of the season.

I would have never thought we'd win the conference or even the division. 3rd in the Central or a wildcard spot was kinda best case scenario

I don't think this team is as good as it's record indicated when we were in the top 5-8 in the league, but i also don't think we're as bad as our record in the last 15 games indicates either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad