Post-Game Talk: Slip Sliding Away Jets lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Yup. The Preds going 13-8 in their final 21 doesn't at all seem out of the question and that puts the line at 97 pts. We'd need to go 11-6 at least. And the reality is, it feels like 6-11 is just as likely for us.
I think 95 points will do it. Jets goal is now 10-7 and the spot with the tie breaker. I forget what the tie breaker is though.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
It's not necessarily too much passing its that we telegraph and move the puck too slowly that it doesn't open up lanes. You can't shoot if there is no lane, it will just get blocked and cleared.

The team needs to start moving the puck quickly and then shooting when those lanes open up.
Yes, specifically the telegraphing part. Perfect post.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think 95 points will do it. Jets goal is now 10-7 and the spot with the tie breaker. I forget what the tie breaker is though.

10-7 would be great, but they're 2-6-2, with a goal differential of -12 in their last ten, so they're going to have to get a whole lot better against stronger opposition at a key point in the season, with morale at close to an all-time low.

Can we do it?

1678399409251.png

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
It's not necessarily too much passing its that we telegraph and move the puck too slowly that it doesn't open up lanes. You can't shoot if there is no lane, it will just get blocked and cleared.

The team needs to start moving the puck quickly and then shooting when those lanes open up.
The way I see it is that they rely on Connor's shot from the right side but as you said they do not pas it quick enough to him sop the goalie has time to slide over and get in position. Connor's shot is great but not over powering like Laine or Ovechkin or Driesidel.
The have to stop the rink wide pass and get it to him while the goalie is moving

Reactions: surixon

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The way I see it is that they rely on Connor's shot from the right side but as you said they do not pas it quick enough to him sop the goalie has time to slide over and get in position. Connor's shot is great but not over powering like Laine or Ovechkin or Driesidel.
The have to stop the rink wide pass and get it to him while the goalie is moving

Imagine if we could set it up where Connor is in the bumper position in the slot and he can find the open space. He’s score plenty there.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I agree, the go to play is the JoMo to him pass. The issue is that every team knows it's coming and the puck doesn't travel fast and/or far enough to get the goalie to move enough. The pp needs way more wrinkles and options to keep pkers honest.

Reactions: johnnyonthspot

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I agree, the go to play is the JoMo to him pass. The issue is that every team knows it's coming and the puck doesn't travel fast and/or far enough to get the goalie to move enough. The pp needs way more wrinkles and options to keep pkers honest.
Can`t get the puck to Connor through Morrissey ALL the time. Scheifele has to create some pressure on the other side, with the help of Wheeler and even Nino - and then one of Scheifele or Wheeler have to be able to get the puck over to Connor quickly for the kill shot. This way the goalie is moving across his crease and is much more vulnerable.

Think of the Capitals PP but simply reversed with Ovi situated on the left for the kill shot. All the set up work occurs on the right side through Backstrom, leaving Carlson at the blueline as a secondary threat.

Problem is we again have Scheifele/Wheeler either simply playing catch with one another far back near the walls, or, holding the puck much too long and wishfully trying to create passing lanes by way of wasted stickwork. No pressure created.

Reactions: Ducky10 and surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
But I thought faceoffs were so important… :huh:

Faceoffs are just a fancy board battle. How many late faceoffs did our centers win late against SJ but the winger or dman couldn’t get the puck?
Not sure

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can`t get the puck to Connor through Morrissey ALL the time. Scheifele has to create some pressure on the other side, with the help of Wheeler and even Nino - and then one of Scheifele or Wheeler have to be able to get the puck over to Connor quickly for the kill shot. This way the goalie is moving across his crease and is much more vulnerable.

Think of the Capitals PP but simply reversed with Ovi situated on the left for the kill shot. All the set up work occurs on the right side through Backstrom, leaving Carlson at the blueline as a secondary threat.

Problem is we again have Scheifele/Wheeler either simply playing catch with one another far back near the walls, or, holding the puck much too long and wishfully trying to create passing lanes by way of wasted stickwork. No pressure created.

Yeah I've been saying for two years now that Mark is miscast as a HB QB. He is unable and/or unwilling to open up the seam play to Conner. I don't buy that he's being coached not to open that pass up as Perfetti/Ehlers on the second unit look to regularly open that seam.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
You're saying that a team which has lost 7 of its last 8 games only has to go 10-7 to make the playoffs?

I'm not sure whether I should applaud your optimism or pat your head in sympathy.

Last edited:

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
Prime Perreault was several tiers above our current bottom 6 crop. He was a legit 1st line player most nights in terms of production and made every line he played on better. After Buff he's the guy I miss the most
+++1 to this. All the love in the world to Perreault - he was a skilled player and was always willing to do whatever was asked, no matter where in the lineup that placed him. Super underappreciated player when he was here.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Thank goodness we would need a monumental collapse to miss the playoffs, or I would be worried.
Jets playoffs odds as per MoneyPuck sorted by date:

2022-02-02 - 97.1% (At the All Star Break)
2022-02-12 - 97.7%
2022-02-19 - 93.0%
2022-02-22 - 95.8%
2022-02-24 - 90.9%
2022-02-25 - 86.5%
2022-03-01 - 83.9%
2022-03-02 - 83.4%
2022-03-04 - 75.6%
2022-03-05 - 87.9%
2022-03-06 - 87.0%
2022-03-08 - 79.1%
2022-03-09 - 69.4% (tonights games not factored in)

Jets 4-9 since the All Star Break with 3 wins and 6 losses vs. play off teams and 1 win & 3 losses vs. non playoff teams.

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
The Quebec Poutines are letting this season slide away. At this rate, maybe Dubois will sign so that he can be relocated with the team

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeh, the projection right now is 94pts is the line. So 10 wins might get the job done. Sadly, I find it easier to believe the Preds will finish with 13 wins than I do that the Jets will get 10.

Not that I think anything particularly awesome is going to happen once we do get in of course. But if the alternative is finishing in the mushy middle just outside the PO line I'll take one round over none any day.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertocarlos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad