Rumor: Slava Voynov not returning to KHL team, focused on coming back to the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
It's ridiculous that a messy mutual fight in which the parties completely forgive each other and are still happily married should carry a life long character assignation and destroy someone's career. If this were him being in a pushing match with another man nobody would care, hell, even if he beat the crap out of some random man on the street unprovoked people wouldn't care. A bunch of keyboard warrior white knights, as well as xenophobic people who hate Russians.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's ridiculous that a messy mutual fight in which the parties completely forgive each other and are still happily married should carry a life long character assignation and destroy someone's career. If this were him being in a pushing match with another man nobody would care, hell, even if he beat the crap out of some random man on the street unprovoked people wouldn't care. A bunch of keyboard warrior white knights, as well as xenophobic people who hate Russians.

Dude. Yes they would. How is this an argument?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It took me only 1 "yes"? I guess you are a slow at typing if you consider that much time. :dunno:
Yes. It took you an hour and 7 minutes to realize that. Guess how much time that was too many? Also it's ironic that you guess I'm slow at typing when it took you so long to respond to my first no.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
People have done worse and have been still allowed to play. If he's still a good player and he can get visas to enter/play in Canada and the United States, he should be allowed. People's lives shouldn't be ruined over past mistakes. And let's be honest, if he was Canadian or American, people would have forgot about it now. His nationality absolutely plays a role.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You really think the NHL and its fans are ok with assault?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

Dude. Yes they would. How is this an argument?
Players get into fights at bars all the time, Patrick Kane beating the crap out of a taxi driver and got accused of rape. His career is still intact. Hell our entire sport contains fighting and hitting people. She says herself that he tried multiple times to deescalate the situation, even trying to sleep; when she started putting hands on him and they got into a shoving match and he shoved her into a TV. This shouldn't be career ending.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
You really think the NHL and its fans are ok with assault?
The game of hockey literally contains assault, I'm sure every year there are several NHL players who beat people up even outside of the game; and nothing happens. This was a mutual argument that apparently didn't even involve punches being thrown? It's pretty ridiculous that this should blackball someone from continuing to have a career in something they worked their entire life to attain.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Wow such puritanism here. I'm sure that his banishment from the league has absolutely nothing at all to do with his nationality. As for his wife:Slava Voynov Wife Update: Marta Varlamova Accepted Blame For Domestic Violence Incident In November In Letter To Prosecutor? [PHOTO]

Now compare this case with all around hero Patrick Roy. Hmmm.

P.S. Voynov and his wife are still together. Roy and his wife are not...
Patrick Roy is a POS too. Mrs. Voynov "accepting blame" to try to get Slava off of charges doesn't make him less of a p.o.s. He still put his hands on his wife.

Reactions: dingbathero

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
People have done worse and have been still allowed to play. If he's still a good player and he can get visas to enter/play in Canada and the United States, he should be allowed. People's lives shouldn't be ruined over past mistakes. And let's be honest, if he was Canadian or American, people would have forgot about it now. His nationality absolutely plays a role.
First - he can still make millions playing the game, just not in the US, so his life is hardly ruined.

Second - Peoples lives ABSOLUTELY should be and are ruined over past mistakes. That's the whole foundation behind our criminal justice system.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think both Canada and the US have grounds to not grant him a visa. He didn't play in the WCoH, I think partially due to visa issues (or expected issues). How it works in practice is a bit difficult to say.

It's a bit unprecedented I think. Most of the high profile abuse cases have been domestic to the US lately, so obviously visa issues don't come into play - just league rules. In this, we have a conviction for domestic violence with jail time, and he left the country I believe before the deportation proceedings, making them moot. It's an open question as to whether he could come back to the US as a tourist - forget as a worker.

The WCoH was an NHL event so he was barred from playing since he is still suspended. Didn't even get to the point of a Visa issue as the NHL nipped it in the bud.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
First - he can still make millions playing the game, just not in the US, so his life is hardly ruined.

Second - Peoples lives ABSOLUTELY should be and are ruined over past mistakes. That's the whole foundation behind our criminal justice system.

This. It's a privilege to play in the NHL. Period. It's not his right.

Hell, it's a privilege for him to even f***ing be in the US. He was not a citizen. He abused his privilege and lost not only his ability to play in the NHL, but his awful ass was deported (or would have been had he not left voluntarily) as well.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

It was a general point, and it was partially made because plenty of people in this thread seem to think his career should have been over because of it.

I won't get into the second point because it's a political statement, but you're absolutely wrong about that being a foundation behind the criminal justice system. Very, very wrong.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Players get into fights at bars all the time, Patrick Kane beating the crap out of a taxi driver and got accused of rape. His career is still intact. Hell our entire sport contains fighting and hitting people. She says herself that he tried multiple times to deescalate the situation, even trying to sleep; when she started putting hands on him and they got into a shoving match and he shoved her into a TV. This shouldn't be career ending.

Yes, you should totally believe everything she says when she's trying to ensure that her meal ticket remains employed and her visa intact. Outside of that, Kane's career would not be intact had he pled guilty to that rape and spent time in jail .

If you don't think American sports teams (and fans) will blackball players for life once pictures start floating around of beaten, bloody spouses, I suggest you acquaint yourself with one Ray Rice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad