Speculation: skinner: PIT, LA, BOS, SJS Faulk: MTL, DET, EDM

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Maatta for Skinner?

Making this deal would just create a hole in the lineup for a position that we don’t have a hole in now. We would have to replace Maatta and that is still the case if we added Johnson. Do we go into the season with Essentially the same D as last season besides switching Maatta with Johnson? I guess if you go all offense, ha ha.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Skinner-Brassard-Rust
Aston-Reese-Sheahan-Sprong

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Skinner’s a UFA next year and Muzzin’s on a sweetheart contract. Skinner wouldn’t be the only piece in a deal for Muzzin.
i would suggest we get them to retain some salary like 1 to 1.5 million Lets not forgot there is 3 years age difference here Muzzin being older I would also suggest we would have to be allowed to talk to skinners agent about a extension

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
The OP is correct that this doesn't make sense for every team listed. Boston already has too many good LWs. I like what they have going now with Marchand, DeBrusk, and Heinen on the top 3 lines. They also have Donato, he and Heinen have both played center as well but any way I look at it I think that either another deal where they move a LW has to happen or this would be a 3 way trade.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
This thread caught my eye, but when I clicked the link, I found it was from the Fourth Period.

This is more speculation than rumor.
Back in the the day, TFP asked me to be a regular columnist for them. A lot has changed since then but a lot has stayed the same. So it's safe to say that any outlet that looked to me for insider news and deep insight, at any time, is a place where the best story ideas come from flinging something at a dartboard (not darts) and seeing where it lands/sticks.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
If Maatta is dealt to Carolina, it will be for Faulk, not Skinner. Ideal, Pens need RHD, have excess LHD. Faulk expendible with Hamilton coming in and replaces Hanifin.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Like someone said before, RHD is one of the three things the Habs don't need at all. We need LHD and Centers.
Unless we trade Petry or Weber.

Just for the lolz, let's say the Habs are going to tank, what could be the trade between Carolina and Montreal, if both Weber and Faulk are involved?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
If Maatta is dealt to Carolina, it will be for Faulk, not Skinner. Ideal, Pens need RHD, have excess LHD. Faulk expendible with Hamilton coming in and replaces Hanifin.

Looking at Canes D, on the right side we've got offense and a PP QB in Hamilton, with Fox in the pipeline. On the left side, this season I'm predicting a nice boost in offense from Slavin (based on his play late last season and a new system under Brindy), and offensive d-man Jake Bean is waiting in the wings. Let's do it.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins defense may finally be good with the addition of Johnson, I don't want to screw with that by trading Maatta. I'm not sure if there's a deal that works for Skinner to Pittsburgh if Carolina wouldn't want to take draft picks and futures.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
So Canes fans, what's the price for Faulk probably look like?

The only reported ask up to this point has been Saad. Carolina isn't rebuilding and the cupboard is overflowing all over the ice. I think the idea would be to trade Faulk for a Skinner replacement.

It's been surprisingly quiet on the Faulk front since the Hamilton trade. My preference is that they hang on to him; Winnipeg made Byfuglien/Trouba/Myers work for 3.5 years. Carolina hasn't had an above average PP this decade; having a 15-20 goal option from the point on both units is very appealing.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
The only reported ask up to this point has been Saad. Carolina isn't rebuilding and the cupboard is overflowing all over the ice. I think the idea would be to trade Faulk for a Skinner replacement.

It's been surprisingly quiet on the Faulk front since the Hamilton trade. My preference is that they hang on to him; Winnipeg made Byfuglien/Trouba/Myers work for 3.5 years. Carolina hasn't had an above average PP this decade; having a 15-20 goal option from the point on both units is very appealing.

The PP options would be nice, but instead of Faulk I'd rather start the season with TVR plus either another left side d-man (to replace Hanifin) or another top 6 forward (if we're moving Skinner). Faulk's value has already dropped quite a bit from this time last year; I'd hate to see what it is with only 1 year left on his contract if we waited to move him at the deadline or next season. And I don't see how we re-sign him with Pesce and Hamilton signed long term plus Fox in the wings. Plus, when the brass talks about moving out some of the old guard to change the culture I've got to believe they're talking about Faulk even more than Skinner or Staal (just my gut feel). I realize that opinions vary, but to me Faulk just doesn't fit the team going forward.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The PP options would be nice, but instead of Faulk I'd rather start the season with TVR plus either another left side d-man (to replace Hanifin) or another top 6 forward (if we're moving Skinner). Faulk's value has already dropped quite a bit from this time last year; I'd hate to see what it is with only 1 year left on his contract if we waited to move him at the deadline or next season. And I don't see how we re-sign him with Pesce and Hamilton signed long term plus Fox in the wings. Plus, when the brass talks about moving out some of the old guard to change the culture I've got to believe they're talking about Faulk even more than Skinner or Staal (just my gut feel). I realize that opinions vary, but to me Faulk just doesn't fit the team going forward.

Trading Faulk for a forward sounds good in theory, but looking at the teams potentially interested (Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Edmonton, etc.) and what they would have to offer, I’m not seeing too many fits for a hockey trade that doesn’t see Carolina give up the best player in the deal easily. He has the ability to turn it around and increase his value; I'm excited to see him in a new system.

I don’t get the appeal of van Riemsdyk. He a jack of trades, master of none defenseman, whose future with the franchise isn’t any longer than that of Faulk. Faulk would bring much more value from the spot.

Of course, I like the player, whereas many in the fanbase have turned on him.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
You’re both wings fans, hence why it works for both of you. Doesn't work for Carolina.
Fair enough. Didn't think it was that bad of a deal, little undervalued for Carolina but not too awful. Faulk is a career -109 including -22/18/26 the past 3 years. He hasn't hit 40 points in 3 years either.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Fair enough. Didn't think it was that bad of a deal, little undervalued for Carolina but not too awful. Faulk is a career -109 including -22/18/26 the past 3 years. He hasn't hit 40 points in 3 years either.

Ahh, I see you’re following the script perfectly. Time to devalue the player you’re attempting to acquire.

Hf gonna hf.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4