Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Makos definitely have the closest ankle wrap out there. When trying on new skates, keep in mind as well that they are unbaked. This means that if you were to heat mold them to your foot and tie them snugly in the upper ankle, it should help mold better. This is more true of mid end skates and higher as they are more thermoformable. What you want is not much lateral/side-to-side 'wobble' but mobile enough so that you can bend your knees comfortably.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Thanks althoma and AIREAYE you've both been a great help.

I will try the Makos and the Supremes. There are a couple of Makos that I found today nearby. Also unfortunately I'm no where near Ontario but I do really appreciate the offer althoma.

Guys I've also been starting to realize that in many skates that I wear I'm so focused on heel lock, length, toe box width etc. But I'm starting to realize the area above my ankle, there's always a lot of space there. This makes me wobbly when I walk. There is way too much side to side movement - I'm guessing that is not good? Or is that normal for new skates? I'm starting to realize that the reason why I tape the 15 year old skates that I use now is because they were also too big in that area above the ankle. My boot is just so soft now that I tape it to make it tighter and I can't function without that. I'm an aggressive skater with a long stride and I don't think I can handle taping up new skates that have too much room there. Especially when they'll be so stiff for a while.

I can't really remember how the supreme fit exactly up there, and don't know how the Mako fits yet, but would either of these help in these instances? I have "skinny ankles" I suppose. The Graf's the G9035 also have a lot of volume up there and I'm wobbly. It's really been a challenge to get everything to come together for me. Of course VH is there but quite a bit out of my range at the moment. Thnks again.
I have skinny ankles, but a super wide forefoot and the Makos in EE fit really well after baking. If you only have average width feet then D should work though. You won't get a true feel for the Mako fit until after a good bake though. You should see if the shop that has Makos will let you bake before buying. The Mako can handle multiple bakes better than most skates.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
No opinion on the Grafs from me.

On the Supremes I agree with everything althoma said, however, if possible, I encourage you to try both a 7EE AND a 6.5EE. You may be surprised by the 6.5.

I would suggest you enter with a clean slate, try on several different pairs and pick one that gives you the best fit. Read over the Guide in pg1/2 to get started. Come back if you have more specifics.

Given your playing frequency and needs, I would suggest aiming for upper mid end/high end models, preferably ones from previous seasons that are on sale.

I've always wanted to try Reebok pump skates, which I guess are now CCM Ribcor. What's the deal with the Ribcor skate exclusive to pure hockey?

Any info on any of the Ribcor skates? Have you ever tried skates with the pump? I saw a few pairs for pretty cheap online in my size, luckily I have small feet, which are usually one of the last size to sell out, giving me great options for clearance skates.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
How long should I expect it to take to break in my new skates? Went for a 45 minute skate yesterday and my feet were definitely sore afterwards. Now, to be transparent, it is my first time skating in over a year. Last time was with the wife and friends so I didn't really even skate hard. Its been probably 6-7 years since I last skated with any sort of effort. Wondering if its simply having to break in the skates, my feet not being used to it or a combination of both?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
How long should I expect it to take to break in my new skates? Went for a 45 minute skate yesterday and my feet were definitely sore afterwards. Now, to be transparent, it is my first time skating in over a year. Last time was with the wife and friends so I didn't really even skate hard. Its been probably 6-7 years since I last skated with any sort of effort. Wondering if its simply having to break in the skates, my feet not being used to it or a combination of both?

Did you bake them? If so it shouldn't take long to break in, if not I would guess (note that I've never NOT baked them) somewhere from 5-10 skates.

It's probably a combination of not skating for a while and breaking them in though, definitely expect a little soreness if you haven't skated for over a year :naughty:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Did you bake them? If so it shouldn't take long to break in, if not I would guess (note that I've never NOT baked them) somewhere from 5-10 skates.

It's probably a combination of not skating for a while and breaking them in though, definitely expect a little soreness if you haven't skated for over a year :naughty:

Yeah. The shop I purchased them from baked them for me that day.

Its been a while. The new skates overall were great. Really liked them. Just a bit sore today.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
So...here's my rub.

I'm looking to get a new pair of top of the line skates that aren't named Vapor. I've had the X600's for about a year and a half and the tendon guard started to rip off - so I got a new pair of x600's back in early December via warranty. I developed the bauer bump/haglunds from the get go on the right heel only. Now I've developed a blister the size of a coffee k-cup on the inner side of my left foot above the arch.

Both sets of skates have been and were baked. The reason for top of the line is that I spend, at times, 5 hours a day in skates, possibly 4 times a week. I need something that is light, comfortable, and durable.

Are there any suggestions on 1) what would help with the haglunds and the blister, 2) any suggestion on brand/model that would be suitable to the fit with haglunds.

Thanks.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Yeah. The shop I purchased them from baked them for me that day.

Its been a while. The new skates overall were great. Really liked them. Just a bit sore today.

Someone with more expertise may be able to answer better, but from what I can recall it should probably only take a couple skates to get used to them while baked, maybe a bit more for yourself due to the longer layoff.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Have you ever tried skates with the pump?

My last pair of skates were Reeboks. Pump was OK, but didn't take long before I just stopped using it.

Wondering if its simply having to break in the skates, my feet not being used to it or a combination of both?

Hard to say. Could be fit. Could be breaking in. Could be you're just cranking the laces too tight. Everyone is different.

For comparison, I just got new skates. I went through lots of hoops to get the best fitting skate available. First few times I went skating on them, there was some discomfort, but nothing that stopped me from skating nonstop for over an hour. And once I took the skates off and wiggled my toes, there wasn't any residual pain.

One of the things I do to break-in the skate and to get a feel for how I should be tying them is I practice tying them at home. It's best you get a lace tightener for this, but I find it helps me get comfortable with the skates quicker.

I leave them on while I'm watching TV or on the computer. And walk around in them, with skate guards of course. This gives me a feel of if I'm tying them too tight or not enough.

So...here's my rub.

Are there any suggestions on 1) what would help with the haglunds and the blister, 2) any suggestion on brand/model that would be suitable to the fit with haglunds.

Thanks.

I got a bit of haglunds from an old pair of Vapor XXX. Best solution I found were bunga pads. Put them on and no more pain and blistering. Others would know better than me, but I think the best skate for haglunds is just any skate that fits your foot properly. If there's no unnecessary movement, then haglunds shouldn't get worse and blistering shouldn't happen.

But like I said, bung pads. Best thing ever.

ProfessorMcFatty

...But I'm starting to realize the area above my ankle, there's always a lot of space there. This makes me wobbly when I walk...

This has been a huge problem for me. In fact, that wobble was causing knee pain. The doctor recommend arches and custom insoles. I ended up going with Mako's, because they by FAR have the least negative space. Durability might not be the best though. I also picked up a pair of Bauer's bakeable inserts ($50), which helped give a closer arch. You can re-bake them to reset if you butcher it the first time. Lastly, I had the toe box stretched at a shoe repair store.

It's still not a perfect fit, but it's the best fit that I've been able to find so far.

Good luck.

jayluv54

Jan 18, 2017
Bauer Nexus

Can anyone tell me if the new(2014+) Bauer Nexus line of skates has a different fit profile than the earlier version? I had a pair of Nexus 600's in a D that give me bruising on the outside of my foot that I believe was caused by the "figure 8" fit profile they had. I have a wide foot all they way thru so that fit profile didn't work for me in a D, but I've not had the chance to try a Nexus skate in a EE. However, I want to say that I had read some where or seen a video somewhere that said the new Nexus skates didn't use the "figure 8" anymore. Still wide and deep, but all the way throughout the skate...???

My dilemma is that I have a 2 pairs of skates right now...Supreme One70's and 18k's. I love the way I can skate in the Supreme's, but they cause me a lot of foot cramping and numb toes even in a EE. Yet, I can wear the 18k's in a EE all day long and be perfectly comfortable, however I skate like crap in them and just don't feel nearly as supported or confident to skate hard in them compared to the Supreme's. There seems to be a lot of "give" in the reeboks and even profiled to 8/11 and balanced to neutral stance, I still feel like I'm being forced on to my toes, which I don't get in the Supremes. Originally, the Supreme's were my game skates and the 18k's were my reffing skates, but I just can't take how uncomfortable the Supreme's are anymore. I guess the older I get the less I enjoy this game when I have to play it with any level of pain.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I've always wanted to try Reebok pump skates, which I guess are now CCM Ribcor. What's the deal with the Ribcor skate exclusive to pure hockey?

Any info on any of the Ribcor skates? Have you ever tried skates with the pump? I saw a few pairs for pretty cheap online in my size, luckily I have small feet, which are usually one of the last size to sell out, giving me great options for clearance skates.
A link would help.

What kind of info are you looking for? More than what's written in the Guide?

Have you even tried them for fit yet?

Can anyone tell me if the new(2014+) Bauer Nexus line of skates has a different fit profile than the earlier version? I had a pair of Nexus 600's in a D that give me bruising on the outside of my foot that I believe was caused by the "figure 8" fit profile they had. I have a wide foot all they way thru so that fit profile didn't work for me in a D, but I've not had the chance to try a Nexus skate in a EE. However, I want to say that I had read some where or seen a video somewhere that said the new Nexus skates didn't use the "figure 8" anymore. Still wide and deep, but all the way throughout the skate...???

My dilemma is that I have a 2 pairs of skates right now...Supreme One70's and 18k's. I love the way I can skate in the Supreme's, but they cause me a lot of foot cramping and numb toes even in a EE. Yet, I can wear the 18k's in a EE all day long and be perfectly comfortable, however I skate like crap in them and just don't feel nearly as supported or confident to skate hard in them compared to the Supreme's. There seems to be a lot of "give" in the reeboks and even profiled to 8/11 and balanced to neutral stance, I still feel like I'm being forced on to my toes, which I don't get in the Supremes. Originally, the Supreme's were my game skates and the 18k's were my reffing skates, but I just can't take how uncomfortable the Supreme's are anymore. I guess the older I get the less I enjoy this game when I have to play it with any level of pain.

Read page one of the guide as it answers your first question.

Second problem is tougher, you need to go back out there to try on other skates. Start with the current Nexus line, see if you like the previous and current Tacks line as they're different fit. Not sure you'll like Jetspeed but give those a shot. Don't rule out a Vapor in EE either; I've had some people somehow end up in them that didn't fit anything else.

jayluv54

Jan 18, 2017
Thanks. I think I may just go hybrid and have the Tuuks from my Supremes put on my 18k's and see if that helps me feel more comfortable in them. I figure its worth the $100 that I would probably end up losing anyway if I sold the skates. I think I could tolerate the flexibility of the Reebok boot more if I felt more stable on the ice. We'll see.

jayluv54

Jan 18, 2017
I've had some long layoffs before due to injuries, just recently came back from an 18 month absence from hockey and believe me it takes a little bit for those muscles to build back up. By the third skate I was feeling a lot better in terms of soreness. Baking the skates used to be a way to get a quicker break in period, these days its more about customization of fit in my opinion. Either way, after baking I would say by your third skate, assuming you spend a good 45min to 1hr on the ice, you should be pretty well adapted. You can always bake a 2nd time if at that point your feeling like its the skate and not muscle soreness. I wouldn't recommend baking more than twice though.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
A link would help.

What kind of info are you looking for? More than what's written in the Guide?

Have you even tried them for fit yet?

Read page one of the guide as it answers your first question.

Second problem is tougher, you need to go back out there to try on other skates. Start with the current Nexus line, see if you like the previous and current Tacks line as they're different fit. Not sure you'll like Jetspeed but give those a shot. Don't rule out a Vapor in EE either; I've had some people somehow end up in them that didn't fit anything else.

I was just curious since I couldn't find reviews or anything for the pure hockey exclusive one, however I ended up going to a LHS and buying a pair of CCM 280 Jetspeed for about 200 dollars. They were selling for around 400 online so I was pretty excited for that, plus they fit so comfortably it was amazing.

Very excited to try them out on Sunday.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I need a new pair of skates, currently using Bauer Supreme One 80's. I'm not looking to spend 300+ bucks on a pair of skates, although i do play 2 times a week year round.

Anyone have recommendations for something that would be an upgrade from the Supreme One 80's at a relatively affordable price? between $200-250 max.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I'm super excited. Got an AMAZING deal on CCM RBZ, the top end skates from a few years back. Original price was $750 and I got them for $200

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I was just curious since I couldn't find reviews or anything for the pure hockey exclusive one, however I ended up going to a LHS and buying a pair of CCM 280 Jetspeed for about 200 dollars. They were selling for around 400 online so I was pretty excited for that, plus they fit so comfortably it was amazing.

Very excited to try them out on Sunday.

Feet have been a bit sore in the first two skates while getting used to them, besides that I absolutely love them so far, way lighter and more comfortable than my previous Easton skates.

If anyone is looking for a mid-price skate, so far I'd recommend. Problem for me has always been deterioration over time though, so we shall see how these hold up.

Slugworth

Feb 26, 2015
I just picked up CCM Classic Pro's they felt great when I tried them on and felt good at the start of skating. But after a half hour or so I was getting a pain on the front of my shin at the point where the top lace eyelet is. There's actually a bruise on my shin there. It seems like I can't bend my knees to plant my heel because the tounge is to stiff which causes the pain. I had Bauer X30's before the 1st gen ones in size 9e and these Tacks are a 9d... Maybe I went with too stiff of a skate?

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
These Bauer Vapor x500 skates I got a few months ago were only $199.99 (less with the 20% off sale at Hockey Giant), they are light and stiff, but the outer quarter panel is so fragile, I get one new gash in it a game, check the pix:

34356AC5-EBC3-46B3-91C2-9FC4CD225F27_zpsnxarqxef.jpg

1B32272D-90AB-4A41-81BC-A2ADACDB0BD3_zpshnlibacr.jpg

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I just picked up CCM Classic Pro's they felt great when I tried them on and felt good at the start of skating. But after a half hour or so I was getting a pain on the front of my shin at the point where the top lace eyelet is. There's actually a bruise on my shin there. It seems like I can't bend my knees to plant my heel because the tounge is to stiff which causes the pain. I had Bauer X30's before the 1st gen ones in size 9e and these Tacks are a 9d... Maybe I went with too stiff of a skate?

I was told to always skip the top eyelet on CCM skates. I did that with my CCMs, having never done that before, and it felt 100x better. Ankle mobility :handclap:

Slugworth

Feb 26, 2015
I was told to always skip the top eyelet on CCM skates. I did that with my CCMs, having never done that before, and it felt 100x better. Ankle mobility :handclap:

Ok thanks I'll give that a try!! To the top tighed I can't really bend my knees at all. And when I did is when I get that pain and bruise on the front of my shin.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
These Bauer Vapor x500 skates I got a few months ago were only $199.99 (less with the 20% off sale at Hockey Giant), they are light and stiff, but the outer quarter panel is so fragile, I get one new gash in it a game, check the pix:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/stellaplease/34356AC5-EBC3-46B3-91C2-9FC4CD225F27_zpsnxarqxef.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/stellaplease/1B32272D-90AB-4A41-81BC-A2ADACDB0BD3_zpshnlibacr.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Just cosmetic until it compromises the plastic quarter panel. Decent skates otherwise.
[quote="Slugworth, post: 127553727"]Ok thanks I'll give that a try!! To the top tighed I can't really bend my knees at all. And when I did is when I get that pain and bruise on the front of my shin.[/QUOTE]

I skip the top for every skate I wear. Also, please do a search for 'lacebite' and/or 'lacebite pads' around these threads; lots of good insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad