Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
For you skate experts, I am looking for a new skate for my 10 year old. He is a high level player but somewhat smaller for his age. Over the years, I have found that he does best in a skate that is not overally stiff (but stiff enough), so that he can articulate his ankles in the boot. He has worn several different brands over the years (Reebok, Bauer, CCM) and has really preferred the CCMs. He is currently in the U line (which is a fairly old line) and specifically, the U+08. If I stick with CCM, what is the most similar in their current or more lines that you would recommend? Thanks in advance.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
For you skate experts, I am looking for a new skate for my 10 year old. He is a high level player but somewhat smaller for his age. Over the years, I have found that he does best in a skate that is not overally stiff (but stiff enough), so that he can articulate his ankles in the boot. He has worn several different brands over the years (Reebok, Bauer, CCM) and has really preferred the CCMs. He is currently in the U line (which is a fairly old line) and specifically, the U+08. If I stick with CCM, what is the most similar in their current or more lines that you would recommend? Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, CCM has changed the fit profiles of their skates rather frequently over the past several years, such that there's nothing really that fits like the U+ line anymore. With that in mind, I would suggest you start fresh and try on other fits to see which works best. Give the guide a read on page 1.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
When will the new 2s skates be released? I'm still waiting for S180 skates to drop in price. Pro hockey life has 1x skates at 50% off but I'm more a supreme line person.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
When will the new 2s skates be released? I'm still waiting for S180 skates to drop in price. Pro hockey life has 1x skates at 50% off but I'm more a supreme line person.
Should start seeing them in May/June, as it has been every year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Put as much stock in this as you see fit.

I have no idea how reliable or accurate this information is.

Reactions: jorbjorb

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Unfortunately, CCM has changed the fit profiles of their skates rather frequently over the past several years, such that there's nothing really that fits like the U+ line anymore. With that in mind, I would suggest you start fresh and try on other fits to see which works best. Give the guide a read on page 1.
Thanks. I had a feeling that this was the case but figured I would give it a try with some of you on HF.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Great question, but unfortunately, the answer is that it depends on the skate! Some SR models have an additional feature or two than the JR. However, this would only really apply if you're between a size 5.5 to 6.0. In that case, in the majority of cases, any change in features won't be material enough to factor in if one size is a better fit than the other. Unfortunately, SR models are always pricier!

Have a related question, so I’m responding to this post. My 11 years old may need size 6 for his next skates, or it may be 51/2. Question is are Jr and Sr skates materially different in terms of stiffness etc., specifically he wears and loves CCM JS F380 and we will likely be looking at the same or FT390 / 1 if it would still be juniors.
Trigger for question was his 17 year elite playing cousin warning that there is a big step in stiffness.
We will, as always, buy at LHS, and try several brands and models, but still appreciate input from here as in the past.

Reactions: McCoy

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Have a related question, so I’m responding to this post. My 11 years old may need size 6 for his next skates, or it may be 51/2. Question is are Jr and Sr skates materially different in terms of stiffness etc., specifically he wears and loves CCM JS F380 and we will likely be looking at the same or FT390 / 1 if it would still be juniors.
Trigger for question was his 17 year elite playing cousin warning that there is a big step in stiffness.
We will, as always, buy at LHS, and try several brands and models, but still appreciate input from here as in the past.
They typically are not materially different, between size 5.5 and 6.0 at least in higher end models. Get the size that fits better.
Can anyone comment on the vapor 1x asymmetrical boot? Thanks

IMO it's nothing special, just one boot 'wall' is taller than the other slightly to account for skating movement and forward flex when skating. Shouldn't be a material consideration either way in my opinion.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Thank you very much. We’ll get the size that fits better, but I was also wondering if going to senior skates would suggest one goes down the model line to get a similarly stiff boot. That was the suggestion I heard.

Saw in other post you suggest lower end model for younger skater more generally. That makes sense and I only went up a notch for the last pair of skates after several lower range pairs as I thought he was good enough to benefit. From what I can tell, the FT380 has been very good, also including the fit which according to the LHS was new for the season.

Last edited:

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm looking for new Junior skates for my boys and targeted the S180 (1 below the 1S) at clearance prices since the new Supreme skates are coming out in a couple weeks. But I missed the clearance on size 1 (no stock) - they only have size 4+. Background: they have youth 1X Vapors and are looking to try others as we switch to Junior.

So I'm looking at the new Supreme lineup and I don't see a successor to the S180 tier. They have the 2S (1S successor) and then the S29 ($200) which is listed at even cheaper than the current S180 clearance prices ($225). Another clue is the S29 is rated for "performance" tier instead of "elite" like the S180 was. What gives? Are there more tiers to come?

Listing of Bauer skates (mid-page for Supreme line): Bauer Ice Hockey Skates Junior & Youth

Bauer's website doesn't even list the S2x skates yet.

Last edited:

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
So I'm looking at the new Supreme lineup and I don't see a successor to the S180 tier. They have the 2S (1S successor) and then the S29 ($200) which is listed at even cheaper than the current S180 clearance prices ($225). Another clue is the S29 is rated for "performance" tier instead of "elite" like the S180 was. What gives? Are there more tiers to come?

I think you may have a few things mixed up. The top two tiers in the older Supreme line up is the 1S and the S190s. The S180s are the third from the top.

From my understanding they changed the naming system for the new skates, and I believe have fewer tiers. The top skate for supremes are now the 2S Pros. The second tier skate is the 2S, witch is supposed to be a hybrid that would fall in between the old S190s and S180s.

Here are some videos to help you along. The site only allows for 3 videos per post, so first one is only a link that gives an overview of the whole line.

Bauer Supreme 2S Pro Skate Line // On-Ice Insight

Reactions: AIREAYE

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thank you very much. We’ll get the size that fits better, but I was also wondering if going to senior skates would suggest one goes down the model line to get a similarly stiff boot. That was the suggestion I heard.

Saw in other post you suggest lower end model for younger skater more generally. That makes sense and I only went up a notch for the last pair of skates after several lower range pairs as I thought he was good enough to benefit. From what I can tell, the FT380 has been very good, also including the fit which according to the LHS was new for the season.
Going down a tier is worth considering for sure, especially given the price difference. As you're going to a brick-and-mortar store, just give them a little squeeze :)

Yeah CCM has been changing fits pretty much every generation. It's frustrating trying to keep up.

I'm looking for new Junior skates for my boys and targeted the S180 (1 below the 1S) at clearance prices since the new Supreme skates are coming out in a couple weeks. But I missed the clearance on size 1 (no stock) - they only have size 4+. Background: they have youth 1X Vapors and are looking to try others as we switch to Junior.

Listing of Bauer skates (mid-page for Supreme line): Bauer Ice Hockey Skates Junior & Youth

Bauer's website doesn't even list the S2x skates yet.

Adding onto puckpilot's post, I would caution you that the jump in stiffness from a top end youth skate to a high end JR skate is significant.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
^ you guys are right, the S180 I meant as 3rd tier from the top. I'm not looking to spend any more than $275 on each of these kids' skates every year haha. Went to Purehockey today to get them trying both the JetSpeeds and Supremes also. Unfortunately they didn't have the S180 or S29s so we tried the Tacks 9080 and they didn't like it as it was too wide so the whole Supreme line is out too. One could only live with the Vapor fit so I got him the X700 and the other preferred the JetSpeed FT380 which was on sale for $250. The stiffness is only slightly higher but thanks for mentioning to look out for that. What you guys say about fit first and foremost is certainly true.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
For those of you that have used the Bauer 3d Skate Lab, how accurate was it for you? I tried it twice(because it seemed so strange) but both times it put me as a 3.5EE Nexus. My feet are small(7.5 shoe) but definitely not 3.5 small. The Nexus in a 6 fit better.

I'm currently in the Total One Supreme right now, they felt great in the store a few years ago,I got a really good deal on them so I bought them. But now I'm experiencing a lot of mid foot pain after a few minutes. I'm not sure if it's my arches or the width that is causing it.

Back to my original thought, as I'm exploring the market for new skates. How accurate is the Nexus recommendation? Unfortunately at this time, I don't live anywhere close to a place where I can try them on.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Back to my original thought, as I'm exploring the market for new skates. How accurate is the Nexus recommendation? Unfortunately at this time, I don't live anywhere close to a place where I can try them on.

I tried the scanner once. It wasn't too far off but it was off. It recommended a size 5EE Nexus. I have the same size feet as you. 7.5 shoe, and I'm in a 4.5D in Nexus, but that's only because of my instep. Otherwise, I think all the other dimensions of my foot are better off in 4.5EE Supremes. I've had to do mods to my Nexus skates to get the heels to lock in properly and to reduce the room in the to box, both are a bit roomy for me.

I just found a pair of Supreme 160s on the cheap and am checking them out to see if I can live with less volume. All signs point to yes right now.

If you want to size yourself up at home, I posted a video and some links earlier in this thread on how to do that. When I did this, I came up with 4.5EE, which is basically what I'm in now, because a D in Nexus is about the same as EE in Supreme.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
I recently got some True skates. The boot needs a little work. I have two skate related questions for whomever might know.

For one, the boot is a little too short (toes scraping the front--store thought it wouldn't happen while skating with bent knees but it still is). It's my understanding that only sides can be punched out, not a toe cap?

Second, these things feel horrible to skate on. My blades were sharpened but still slipping when I go to push off, like they were super dull. I took them to my local shop and was told they looked sort of uneven, so they resharpened and it improved slightly but I still very much dislike them. They have the standard Step steel blade on them.

So my question there is, how much of a difference to skate on are different blades/blade holders? I'm coming from a pair of Graf 703s with the Cobra holders that are the only skate I've been in for the last 15 years (and the blade is also worn down by a good half inch or more). If it can get me feeling more comfortable I'd like to switch off the Step steel to something else but I don't know if that makes a difference as I've never worn anything but the one pair of Grafs as an adult.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I recently got some True skates. The boot needs a little work. I have two skate related questions for whomever might know.

For one, the boot is a little too short (toes scraping the front--store thought it wouldn't happen while skating with bent knees but it still is). It's my understanding that only sides can be punched out, not a toe cap?

Second, these things feel horrible to skate on. My blades were sharpened but still slipping when I go to push off, like they were super dull. I took them to my local shop and was told they looked sort of uneven, so they resharpened and it improved slightly but I still very much dislike them. They have the standard Step steel blade on them.

So my question there is, how much of a difference to skate on are different blades/blade holders? I'm coming from a pair of Graf 703s with the Cobra holders that are the only skate I've been in for the last 15 years (and the blade is also worn down by a good half inch or more). If it can get me feeling more comfortable I'd like to switch off the Step steel to something else but I don't know if that makes a difference as I've never worn anything but the one pair of Grafs as an adult.
Unless they've changed since I bought mine, there should be a layer of dense foam glued to the inside of the toe cap just in front of the toes. It's the same kind of foam as the red layer under the insole. You can remove it to gain 1.5 to 2 mm. It's not much but it can make all the difference.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

Have the skates been broken in yet? In a knees-bent skating motion, the toes should be feathering the front. If they've been properly heat molded and broken in, the foot 'sinks' into the boot more as the foams have molded to the contours of your foot.

It can be an adjustment for people moving to new steel/holders from Cobra. I would first check that the steel isn't bent and holder properly aligned. You could ask to have the steel profiled to a more aggressive forward lean, which is what Cobra offers in their holder, as well as ask them to round off the ends of the steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad