Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Narrowed down between Bauer Supreme 160 or ccm tacks 4052'S. Coming from Bauer Supreme 80

I could get Bauer Supreme S160's for $199...
With a coupon i can get CCM Tack 4052's for $150 from totalhockey....

Anyone have insight on either of these skates to help influence my decision?

I play 2-3 times a week on mens league teams.

Sorry if I missed an earlier post, but have you tried on either skate yet? The 4052s fit rather differently than the Supreme; wider and roomier overall, different shape. The 4092s on the other hand, fit closer to Supreme.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Vapor related question. I've got a pair of the Vapor X:40s currently but they are close to having the toe cap break off completely. Since they're getting close to almost 10 years old, I've figured its about time to replace them. I noticed that the 1Xs have just gone on clearance from a lot of places and I was wondering if the fit styles are similar to the X:40s.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a place where I can go and try on 30 pairs of skates to get an idea of what fits well, but I've been happy enough with the fit of the Vapors I currently own. My current skates are also slightly smaller than they should be, both length and width wise (9.5D, while I wear about and 11.5 shoe), and I was wondering if there was a way to know how much wider a 10 or 10.5 was relative to the 9.5, so that I could figure out if I should go with a EE or stick with a D.

I went and tried on a couple different types of skates a few months ago and felt that the vapors were definitely the best fit for my foot of the Bauer models (or at least they felt the most familiar), so I'm not super worried about getting the wrong fit type.

I'm likely going to have to order them online, so any fitting recommendations would be helpful...

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Vapor related question. I've got a pair of the Vapor X:40s currently but they are close to having the toe cap break off completely. Since they're getting close to almost 10 years old, I've figured its about time to replace them. I noticed that the 1Xs have just gone on clearance from a lot of places and I was wondering if the fit styles are similar to the X:40s.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a place where I can go and try on 30 pairs of skates to get an idea of what fits well, but I've been happy enough with the fit of the Vapors I currently own. My current skates are also slightly smaller than they should be, both length and width wise (9.5D, while I wear about and 11.5 shoe), and I was wondering if there was a way to know how much wider a 10 or 10.5 was relative to the 9.5, so that I could figure out if I should go with a EE or stick with a D.

I went and tried on a couple different types of skates a few months ago and felt that the vapors were definitely the best fit for my foot of the Bauer models (or at least they felt the most familiar), so I'm not super worried about getting the wrong fit type.

I'm likely going to have to order them online, so any fitting recommendations would be helpful...

Personally I think the fit of the vapours has changed, I've worn vapours since I was six and when I went to buy a new pair this past December, none of them fit right. At least for me, the supremes were a much better fit - and like I said, I've worn different vapours for 17 years until recently.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

I would say you'd probably be better off staying in a D and going to the size 10. A size 10 Vapor uses a size 10 toe cap, whereas your 9.5 used a size 9 toecap and is thus a touch narrower than a size 10 cap.

The 1X would be much stiffer than the X:40 though; you need to bake any skate you buy so please do find a store with a skate oven. Given also your concerns, have you considered the X700 skate? It's the highest level Vapor using tech-mesh nylon, which is similar to what you had on the X:40 and is thus also a bit more forgiving than the Curv composite on the 1X/X900/X800. I would consider the X700 a half step up from the X:40.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
I would say you'd probably be better off staying in a D and going to the size 10. A size 10 Vapor uses a size 10 toe cap, whereas your 9.5 used a size 9 toecap and is thus a touch narrower than a size 10 cap.

The 1X would be much stiffer than the X:40 though; you need to bake any skate you buy so please do find a store with a skate oven. Given also your concerns, have you considered the X700 skate? It's the highest level Vapor using tech-mesh nylon, which is similar to what you had on the X:40 and is thus also a bit more forgiving than the Curv composite on the 1X/X900/X800. I would consider the X700 a half step up from the X:40.

I'm not at all worried about a stiffer boot, that's what I actually like the most about the higher end models. My current boot isn't stiff enough. (Obviously it's broken down quite a bit over the years though) I'd consider myself more of an advanced skater, (I don't have too many issues keeping up with Junior A/B players, and played a bit of fourth league in Germany) so the stiffer the better.

As for baking, where I am currently they do have two small shops with ovens, but as I sort of alluded to, their selection is extremely limited (as in the have 10 total pairs of skates available to try on, none of which are higher end)

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
FWIW, I went from X60s to 1X this month. Didn't notice any significant differences in fit, but that's just me.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'm not at all worried about a stiffer boot, that's what I actually like the most about the higher end models. My current boot isn't stiff enough. (Obviously it's broken down quite a bit over the years though) I'd consider myself more of an advanced skater, (I don't have too many issues keeping up with Junior A/B players, and played a bit of fourth league in Germany) so the stiffer the better.

As for baking, where I am currently they do have two small shops with ovens, but as I sort of alluded to, their selection is extremely limited (as in the have 10 total pairs of skates available to try on, none of which are higher end)

Then go for it, but don't be discouraged if the out-of-box fit is tighter than you expect. Bake it once, skate a few times, bake again. A third time if necessary.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
FWIW, I went from X60s to 1X this month. Didn't notice any significant differences in fit, but that's just me.

Really? I'm positive that the 1X are wider than pevious vapor's. I'm not sure if it's the new lacing system or not, but the 1X fit wider to me. I've tried the 1X and 1S, and the 1X have more volume to me. Maybe I should say more depth. I pass the pencil test on the 1X, but not the 1S. The 1X is a way better skate, imo.

Afgan

Mar 1, 2017
Hello.
I have a used pare of ccm u+ 12 skates, size 10,5 E. They have been used for 5 months and baked/ molded once. When I sit and put them on it feels tight but good, when I stand it is ok also. But after 5 minutes of skating outside of my feet starts to hurt. Then I loose the laces and it helps but the skates start to wobble so you cant skate like that. I realize that my feet get flattened when skating other then sitting or just standing. I have 29,7 cm, 11 cm, low/ flat feet, low- middle instep.
I have NOT baked them for my feet. Will baking eliminate the problem in the area or not? Do I have to stand in them during the baking process? Or may be these skates are not just for me?

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
I recently bought the Bauer Vapor X600. When I tried them on, they push my little toe quite a lot, it almost overlapps with the next toe. They do this without even lacing them. I guess, the X600 is too narrow for me then, correct? Or is this going away when I break them in (in my Bauer Goalie Pro Skates, which are the same size, I had some pressure on the inside but it went away after 3-4 sessions).

Should I look for some Supremes or hope that the Vapors widen quite a lot when I play them? It is an EE.

Also, this happens only with the left foot, the right foot is fine. Should I try them out and have a look if they break in or send them back and look into another model? I play the Vapor RX20 roller skate in the same size and it fits like a glove.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Are there any type of laces that last better than others? I've been going through them at an alarming rate over the past year, probably on my 4th or 5th pair of laces....I've tried wax, normal, am I missing something?

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
Are there any type of laces that last better than others? I've been going through them at an alarming rate over the past year, probably on my 4th or 5th pair of laces....I've tried wax, normal, am I missing something?
I like the Howies or Tex Styles laces, but it could be another issue, check your skates eyelets, any split on the inside could be chewing up your laces everytime you pull on them. I had that happen on my 1 month old skates, put in a new eyelet & it hasn't happened again (going on 2 years now)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hello.
I have a used pare of ccm u+ 12 skates, size 10,5 E. They have been used for 5 months and baked/ molded once. When I sit and put them on it feels tight but good, when I stand it is ok also. But after 5 minutes of skating outside of my feet starts to hurt. Then I loose the laces and it helps but the skates start to wobble so you cant skate like that. I realize that my feet get flattened when skating other then sitting or just standing. I have 29,7 cm, 11 cm, low/ flat feet, low- middle instep.
I have NOT baked them for my feet. Will baking eliminate the problem in the area or not? Do I have to stand in them during the baking process? Or may be these skates are not just for me?
Bake them! Those skates were always meant to be baked, perhaps arguably moreso than others. Don't stand in them. Take them to a place that can doa bake properly.
I recently bought the Bauer Vapor X600. When I tried them on, they push my little toe quite a lot, it almost overlapps with the next toe. They do this without even lacing them. I guess, the X600 is too narrow for me then, correct? Or is this going away when I break them in (in my Bauer Goalie Pro Skates, which are the same size, I had some pressure on the inside but it went away after 3-4 sessions).

Should I look for some Supremes or hope that the Vapors widen quite a lot when I play them? It is an EE.

Also, this happens only with the left foot, the right foot is fine. Should I try them out and have a look if they break in or send them back and look into another model? I play the Vapor RX20 roller skate in the same size and it fits like a glove.
Too narrow, baking won't help that area. Try something else.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I like the Howies or Tex Styles laces, but it could be another issue, check your skates eyelets, any split on the inside could be chewing up your laces everytime you pull on them. I had that happen on my 1 month old skates, put in a new eyelet & it hasn't happened again (going on 2 years now)

I think this one might have just been nicked by a skate. It was cut at the very bottom and these skates are one or two months old. I'll try to find one of those two in town, I like Howie products so it's definitely worth a try. Thanks!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Guide updated with 2017 models. I also added some recommended accessories to that section.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
My 1Xs came (yay for splurging once in my life) and I baked them at home. The 175F for 3 minutes (max according to box insert instructions) seemed kind of short but it was warm and seems to mold ok (fits without discomfort around the ankle now). The speed plate that comes with them is what I have questions about.

I have flat feet. I'm not sure but the speed plate seems to be for regular people with arches and this helps to put the entire foot's balance/weight onto the entire bottom of the skate.

1) will these speed plates benefit me with flat feet? Aren't I already balanced flatly on the bottom of the skate without it? The instep arch area is raised which is a little uncomfortable.
2) am I supposed to remove the included black footbed before putting these in? They seem to fit right on top ok with my foot inside.

I heat molded them as well and the arch area is still a bit uncomfortable, but again, I just got them on a half hour ago.

Last edited:

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
Separate question - profiling. Should I have my skate guy match the profile he did for me on my previous pair? Or should I wait and see how this new skate upgrade works out and if I'm comfortable enough first?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Separate question - profiling. Should I have my skate guy match the profile he did for me on my previous pair? Or should I wait and see how this new skate upgrade works out and if I'm comfortable enough first?

My 1Xs came (yay for splurging once in my life) and I baked them at home. The 175F for 3 minutes (max according to box insert instructions) seemed kind of short but it was warm and seems to mold ok (fits without discomfort around the ankle now). The speed plate that comes with them is what I have questions about.

I have flat feet. I'm not sure but the speed plate seems to be for regular people with arches and this helps to put the entire foot's balance/weight onto the entire bottom of the skate.

1) will these speed plates benefit me with flat feet? Aren't I already balanced flatly on the bottom of the skate without it? The instep arch area is raised which is a little uncomfortable.
2) am I supposed to remove the included black footbed before putting these in? They seem to fit right on top ok with my foot inside.

I heat molded them as well and the arch area is still a bit uncomfortable, but again, I just got them on a half hour ago.
They might benefit you. That's the best answer; everyone is different. They're supposed to contour to the shape of your foot if baked properly. You should try them for a few skates to allow yourself to adjust ot them, then evaluate whether you like them or not. You simply cannot tell just by wearing them.

You are supposed to remove the stock footbed.

Regarding profiling, it's completely up to you and how well you can adjust. Profiling to your old skates is not a bad idea.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Update on my skate situation, I managed to find a pair of mid line vapors that were size 10D to try on. They still felt too short and too narrow. I'm likely going to go with a 10.5, but my next question is, is the 10.5 wider than the 10? As in, does the width increase proportionally to the length? Or is the d width a set amount (meaning to get more width in the boot I'd have to go EE?)

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
At what point do I need to get my skates re-sharpened? Is there a general guideline on when/how often to do it?

Well, back when I was younger and played competitively I probably sharpened my skates every 3-5 skates. Now that I just play beer league I sharpen maybe 5 or 6 times over a 7 month period :laugh:

Basically it's all preference on how sharp you like your skates/how often you want them to be sharpened, but for a general guideline I'd say no more than 5 skates between sharpening.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
With my old x4.0 skates ("super stainless" steel), I found that I could feel the loss of good grip & acceleration out of a turn after about 5 skates. I don't know if the steel that you have can help - they advertise some steel like the LS4 to hold a sharpening for longer if I'm not mistaken. I just got them and can't attest to anything yet.

Last edited:

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
At what point do I need to get my skates re-sharpened? Is there a general guideline on when/how often to do it?

It's all personal preference and how you've been using your skates.
Sometimes I can go for 20 hours of ice time without feeling my edges dull. Other times, I destroy an edge somewhere and need it sharped after 3 hours.

It's once you start feeling like you're slipping on the ice rather than cutting into the ice. Most noticeably when you're trying to accelerate quickly up the ice (inside edges) or when you're blowing a tire on aggressive tight turns (inside/outside edges).

It also depends on your default hollow. I used to use 3/8 and I sharpened way less. Now I'm using 1/2 and have to sharpen a bit more often.

General rule of thumb tho is to always resharpen your skates after using outdoor ice before going back onto indoor ice.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

It really depends what the ice is like and how hard you're skating. Great hard ice in a dedicated arena, I can go a 5 skates without sharpening and still have a edge. When I played competitively I needed my skates sharpened after every two practices or every one game. If I play on an outdoor rink I have to get my skates sharpened right after, the blades hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad