Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NJD] Vitek Vanecek and 2025 7th round pick for Kaapo Kahkonen

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think the sharks are worried about that.

Other than that though...what exactly is the point of this deal from the Sharks end? A 7th a year from now is basically a half notch above "future considerations". So that can't be impetus enough to go out and take on more salary with more term like this, basically for free.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Other than that though...what exactly is the point of this deal from the Sharks end? A 7th a year from now is basically a half notch above "future considerations". So that can't be impetus enough to go out and take on more salary with more term like this, basically for free.

This year's salary floor was 61.9 million, so next year's will be slightly higher. CapFriendly has SJ at about 49 million with Vanecek. Sharks would have had to get another NHL goalie for next season. So it seems like they were fine with taking Vanecek for one year rather than signing a leftover UFA goalie. San Jose wasn't likely to get the pick of the litter either.

Vanecek makes 2.9 mil in real salary while making 3.4 mil against the cap, so that helps slightly if you're a team looking to get the floor while spending less.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Because Mike Grier isn't very good at his job?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This year's salary floor was 61.9 million, so next year's will be slightly higher. CapFriendly has SJ at about 49 million with Vanecek. Sharks would have had to get another NHL goalie for next season. So it seems like they were fine with taking Vanecek for one year rather than signing a leftover UFA goalie. San Jose wasn't likely to get the pick of the litter either.

Vanecek makes 2.9 mil in real salary while making 3.4 mil against the cap, so that helps slightly if you're a team looking to get the floor while spending less.

I mean, yeah...that's basically what this deal is about right? Maybe an exaggeration to say they wouldn't be able to sign a goaltender next year, period...but this is clearly just about getting a guy with term committed so they have a goalie under contract, right?

That's...basically the only thing the Sharks are getting out of this.

Interesting note on the actual cash money salary though. I didn't realize that, but it makes even more sense in that context. Where taking on salary probably means more to the Sharks than taking on Cap. And if the salary is basically what they were paying Kahkonen this year...that's pretty much keep on keeping on financially.

Because Mike Grier isn't very good at his job?

If this is the case, maybe someone should fire him. Who is in charge of that?

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

They are probably worried that no goalie will sign with them given how bad the team will be.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Someone explain to me the NJD goalie situation this year and next year...like I'm 5.

Daws
Kahkonen
Schmid
Allen

This year it will be Allen and Kahkonen with the kids going to the AHL, though it's going to take some time as Allen needs to get a work visa.

Next year the plan is to let Kahkonen walk, use Allen as the back up, keep the kids in the AHL, and trade for a new starter. In the GM's words a "big fish" so Markstrom, Ullmark, or Saros. It's why they wanted out of Vitek's contract. I also assume one of Daws or Schmid would be traded in a big goalie move

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
A page out of the 2015 Sabres playbook. There's a team worse than us? Okay, let's trade every healthy goalie we have. Take that, Blackhawks!

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
I'm happy with Grier's tanking efforts. The two guys I was hoping would get traded on the trading deadline, Hertl and Kahkonen, both got traded. Of all the moves the Sharks made, trading away Kahkonen will likely help their draft position the most. Fans think Sharks should/could have gotten back more, but one must understand that these players absolutely need to go. Failing the tanking like last year due to having 2-3 more points because they didn't trade players sooner was Grier's biggest mistake. Looks like he learned his costly lesson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad