Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NJD] Vitek Vanecek and 2025 7th round pick for Kaapo Kahkonen

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Tough spot for them. You could rephrase it as "SJ trading an impending free agent goalie for a goalie under contract for another season." I guess you could argue that the Sharks could have just signed somebody instead. But I'd imagine SJ wouldn't be the first choice for a goalie with options.

View attachment 832692
The team is clearly tanking. Finding a goalie for next to nothing wouldn't that hard.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hockey gods seeing these Grier moves and remembering them on Lottery Draft night

200w.gif

Reactions: clydesdale line

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Only Allen is on the books for next season at 50% so I think around 1.8M

Kahkonen is a UFA and Schmid/Daws can be sent down to marinate.
If Jersey is throwing the year, they might as well getting some NHL seasoning.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Wow, can't believe Fitz got someone to take the extra year of Vanacek for a 7th, nice piece of work for him on this one. The rest of the deadline was horrible for him.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I kinda like this for SJS. If you didnt get any other offers on Kahk you could just lose him for nothing this summer. Now they have a bounce back candidate. If Vanecek regains some form next year, they could then deal him for something.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Devils organization is a mess. Get on the phone and bring Marty out of retirement.

I understand they needed to get rid of Vanecek with his pathetic performances of course. They signed VV's contract though haha.

At least they found a suitor for VV. That is miracle work beyond it's belief. I give them that

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Could have paid up for Markstrom
They did. Then flames ownership cried about ticket sales and the price became out of the realm of reason.

Good luck to flames fans trying to sell their 35 year old 6 mill goalie in the offseason

Reactions: kevistar

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Could have paid up for Markstrom

Dreger seemed to indicate that there was a trade in place for Markstrom but Calgary's ownership wouldn't approve. Clearing Vanecek's cap hit makes it more feasible to continue the Markstrom pursuit in the offseason.

Edit: Here's an article citing Frank Seravalli

Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli reported on The DFO Rundown podcast: “Don Maloney, on behalf of ownership, is believed to have nixed this trade.”

Maloney is the Flames’ president of hockey operations.

According to Seravalli, the two teams had agreed to a swap that would send Markstrom to the Devils. The 34-year-old netminder was apparently willing to waive his no-move clause to approve the change of address.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Fitzgerald is hilarious. Like at this point why not just get an nhl starting goalie lol

The Devils are probably not making the Playoff, why trade a 1st round pick now, especially if you go on a losing a losing streak and get a high pick.

They can find a starting goalie in the off season when they have more options.

Best deal of the deadline for Fitz. He was atrocious otherwise so the bar wasn't very high.

Kahkonen being a UFA this summer is the appeal. Frees up the devils to get their guy in a few months without having to deal with VV on the books along with Allen now.

Exactly this and in a few months there will be more options.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Someone explain to me the NJD goalie situation this year and next year...like I'm 5.

Daws
Kahkonen
Schmid
Allen

Kahkonen is up at the end of this season. Allen sits atop their depth chart right now heading into next season. Daws and Schmid both have a few games left before they need waivers so if NJ adds another goalie in the summer they can both start in the AHL until one or both are ready.

Dreger seemed to indicate that there was a trade in place for Markstrom but Calgary's ownership wouldn't approve. Clearing Vanecek's cap hit makes it more feasible to continue the Markstrom pursuit in the offseason.

Edit: Here's an article citing Frank Seravalli

Don Maloney is a very nice guy. His father in law was a colleague of my stepfather. Don was always happy to chat hockey and joke a bit when I saw him. I’m glad he’s found a nice spot in hockey management

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Oh Greer. o_O

Another bad trade by you?

Seriously... just go take that SVP job in Vegas and leave the poor Sharks alone.

This is your jumping off the bridge point? It's basically a trading of 1A goalies. Giving both a change of scenery. Neither are likely to be their respective team's starters when they are ready to seriously compete.

Going to New Jersey the way the Devils' defend is a sentence and not a reprieve.

Assuming Mack Black can put his health issues in the past (not a given), he is the Sharks starter for the near term. And he and Vitek worked well together.

For the future, I'd imagine the Sharks starter has yet to be signed or drafted.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Someone explain to me the NJD goalie situation this year and next year...like I'm 5.

Daws
Kahkonen
Schmid
Allen

Allen: At 1.9 mil, he's feasible as a backup. I'd imagine the team will continue to pursue Markstrom along with other better options in the offseason. Unfortunately since Allen needs to get a work visa, he might not join the Devils until later next week. TSN mentioned that it took Chris Tanev extra time to get his paperwork in place because they couldn't get the process rolling until the following Monday.

Kahkonen: more than likely just a stop gap. Barring him making a big impression, he'll probably go to July 1.

Daws/Schmid: Probably slated for the AHL for 2024-25.

In the short term, probably Daws/Schmid for tomorrow's game against Carolina while Kahkonen gets situated.

And then Allen maybe joins the team for the Dallas/Arizona/Vegas road trip and it's Allen/Kahkonen for the rest of this season.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
If Jersey is throwing the year, they might as well getting some NHL seasoning.

Except it's not "seasoning" getting shelled every night. If nothing else, the Allen and Kahkkonen acquisitions allow them to develop at the level they were intended to be playing this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad