Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NJD] Vitek Vanecek and 2025 7th round pick for Kaapo Kahkonen

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This is your jumping off the bridge point? It's basically a trading of 1A goalies. Giving both a change of scenery. Neither are likely to be their respective team's starters when they are ready to seriously compete.
More like 1B goalies, no?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not sure how this helps or hurts either team. I guess we'll see how that 7th turns out.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Not sure how this helps or hurts either team. I guess we'll see how that 7th turns out.

It helps the Devils to not have Vanacek’s contract next year. Even though it wasn’t terribly high, Kahk can simply walk and the Devils have shed a contract they didn’t want and probably wouldn’t be able to move this summer without sweetener.

Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Why would the sharks do this? Seems like a bad move

Is he a ufa In the summer only reason I can think of trade him for this

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why would the sharks do this? Seems like a bad move

Sharks don't really have a 2nd NHL goalie on the roster. The list of UFA goalies isn't particularly great and I'd imagine any goalies with multiple offers wouldn't be particularly excited to sign with a Sharks club that is still rebuilding.

Vanecek is signed for one more year, so that's one item off the shopping list that they can cross off. I suppose they could have (over)paid a different UFA goalie for a year.

One other thing is reaching the salary floor. Currently the Sharks are at ~49 million for next season with several RFAs who probably wouldn't command big raises. Last year's salary floor was 61.7 million. Vanecek's salary (2.9 mil) is slightly less than his cap hit (3.4) which is helpful for a team trying to reach the floor without spending the money.

We'll see what other deals San Jose does in the offseason but they aren't likely to attract a big name free agent. At this rate, they might be able to take on a short term bad contract in exchange for a pick/prospect.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Sharks don't really have a 2nd NHL goalie on the roster. The list of UFA goalies isn't particularly great and I'd imagine any goalies with multiple offers wouldn't be particularly excited to sign with a Sharks club that is still rebuilding.

Vanecek is signed for one more year, so that's one item off the shopping list that they can cross off. I suppose they could have (over)paid a different UFA goalie for a year.

One other thing is reaching the salary floor. Currently the Sharks are at ~49 million for next season with several RFAs who probably wouldn't command big raises. Last year's salary floor was 61.7 million. Vanecek's salary (2.9 mil) is slightly less than his cap hit (3.4) which is helpful for a team trying to reach the floor without spending the money.

We'll see what other deals San Jose does in the offseason but they aren't likely to attract a big name free agent. At this rate, they might be able to take on a short term bad contract in exchange for a pick/prospect.
Was kaapo a ufa after this season,

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Was kaapo a ufa after this season,

Yup, Kahkonen is an impending UFA. I can only imagine he'll be trying to sign with a better team on July 1.

And just for an obligatory Simpsons reference, I'm not saying it's a good move for San Jose. It's a move.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Hockey gods seeing these Grier moves and remembering them on Lottery Draft night

200w.gif
If the Hockey Gods existed they'd wouldn't have given Bedard to the Blackhawks.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Not much to see here. KK was leaving anyways. The issue, as I see it, is the NJ GM sitting on his hands about his goalie situation after a month into the season. He basically gave away a year of a strong nucleus for nothing. It is one thing to make a mistake (everybody does) but quite another to not admit it and move on. Glad I am not a Devils fan.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Fitz being so butt hurt that teams wouldn't just give him Markstrom or Saros is hilarious.

There aren't a lot of great goalies in the league. If you want one, you pay for it.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Noisy Joisy just giving all the mediocre goalies a try. :laugh:

But this obviously clears a bunch of cap space and a roster spot in net, for them to go after a "big fish" like Markstrom or Saros in the summer. Swapping a contract with term for an expiring one.

I'm...kind of struggling to understand what San Jose gets out of this whole thing though. They take on more cap, and with an extra year attached...in exchange for probably the worse goalie, and uhhh...a 7th round pick?

Are the Sharks just worried that they're going to continue to be so awful next year, that no goaltender will even entertain the idea of signing with them?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Fitz being so butt hurt that teams wouldn't just give him Markstrom or Saros is hilarious.

There aren't a lot of great goalies in the league. If you want one, you pay for it.

Fitzgerald won't reset the market on goalie prices for the last 2 decades for a 34 year old

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad