Confirmed Trade: [SJS/FLA] Anthony Duclair for Steven Lorentz and 2025 5th round pick

Lainestache

Jan 3, 2022
Risky move you mean, seeing as how Duclair has done that one time, on a much better and more offensively inclined team, with better supporting players, while being younger, and at least one less injury on his body.

On top of that risk, we are trying to be bad, if Duclair does rebound and turn into a good player, that could actively hurt the Sharks tanking, especially if we cannot find a taker for Karlsson. Looking at last year, getting contributions from guys like Karlsson, Meier, Reimer etc, are the sole reason we were not the worst team in the NHL.

Right now, we are on paper the worst team in the NHL, I see no valid reason to attempt to change that for the off chance that Duclair has another career year and can be flipped at the deadline for hopefully more than we trade to get him in the first place.
Even if you can't find a taker for Karlsson AND even if Duclair returns to his career high form, i just don't see how he could flip the Sharks situation from worst to not being the worst just on his own. Anyways, there's still hockey to be played after the deadline and i would assume that Duclair nets you far more than just the fifth.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Even if you can't find a taker for Karlsson AND even if Duclair returns to his career high form, i just don't see how he could flip the Sharks situation from worst to not being the worst just on his own. Anyways, there's still hockey to be played after the deadline and i would assume that Duclair nets you far more than just the fifth.

We missed being the worst team by 2 points this past year. (Maybe 2.5 since I do not off the top of my head know who had the tiebreaker between us and Anaheim if we were tied in points)

Duclair if he plays well and stays healthy, can easily account for two points in the standings. Just like if we had maybe traded Meier sooner we could have bottomed out sooner, or traded Reimer, or Karlsson did not have a year for ages etc.

I am in no way saying Duclair can take us from bottom 5 to playoff hopeful or anything, but right now the Sharks forward core is absolutely dreadful had we not added Duclair, with Duclair we have at least a potentially productive top line with him, Hertl and someone like Eklund. That can easily be the difference between bottom 2 and bottom 5, just like it was this year.

I simply do not see the value in moving up to a 2nd for a 5th, at the risk of moving from a top 3 pick to a top 5 pick, and potentially not even getting the 2nd if Duclair is not a good fit in SJ or gets injured.

However its done now, guess its time to wait and see how it all plays out.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I think Duclair is still living off his 2022 season value a bit in here which seems like a one off on that stacked Panthers team. Small sample size but after returning from the torn Achilles this year he put up 6 goals (including an empty netter) in 40 games. That’s not going to cut it when you’re a serious liability in your own zone

What he will bring is consistent stretching of the defense in the transition game due to his speed and is a great addition to the locker room and community

Panthers won’t really miss his on ice contributions though. He had one non-empty net goal this regular season
Being on a stacked team usually lowers a players value. Less ice time, less PP, less opportunity.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Wtf? Are you serious? I mean, his tweets ar lame also, but no one actually thought it was one for one had we landed Hanifin. You’re in here talking about cope and rent free, pretty sure it’s the other way around.
I only see Panthers fans waxing lyrical about Huberdeau. Their hang up is not my issue.

The knee-jerk need to bring him up in a thread about Duclair being traded says it all.

Also, read the Hanifin to Florida trade thread. The poster I was replying to insisted it would be a trade with Duclair as the main piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
6 goals in 40 games after a major injury doesn't bode well, but a worthy reclamation project. Lorentz is a bonafide NHLer (though depth on a top team) and he's cheap.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Risky move you mean, seeing as how Duclair has done that one time, on a much better and more offensively inclined team, with better supporting players, while being younger, and at least one less injury on his body.

On top of that risk, we are trying to be bad, if Duclair does rebound and turn into a good player, that could actively hurt the Sharks tanking, especially if we cannot find a taker for Karlsson. Looking at last year, getting contributions from guys like Karlsson, Meier, Reimer etc, are the sole reason we were not the worst team in the NHL.

Right now, we are on paper the worst team in the NHL, I see no valid reason to attempt to change that for the off chance that Duclair has another career year and can be flipped at the deadline for hopefully more than we trade to get him in the first place.
Sharks are far from the worse team in the NHL

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
They could not get more for Duclair?
Only if they retained. Pretty clear that if you're not on an ELC, or a non-arb RFA, you're not getting a lot in return. Cap space is at a premium and teams trying to clear cap aren't being granted any favours.

Reactions: JP Mick

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Big Duclair fan. Love that he’s his own agent.

Lorentz played his role on the Sharks very well and is apparently the consummate teammate and professional. FLA is getting a solid bottom 6er with size who can bang bodies, screen goalies, and run an o-zone cycle while being relatively responsible in his own zone

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This feels like a robbery by SJ, baring another bad injury SJ is going to be able to flip him for a nice return at the deadline especially if they retain 50%, and especially if they can get double retention

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad