2023-24 Lady Byng Memorial Trophy finalists: Auston Matthews, Elias Pettersson, Jaccob Slavin

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I can only imagine the brutal chirps that will be said on the ice if they don't win it

"Petey I don't think you should've won the award last year" Auston
"Auston, I disagreed with the voters who gave you the Lady Byng last year" Jacob
"Jacob du är en fantastisk spelare, men jag tror att jag förtjänade priset" Elias

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
At first glance, Matthews had a lot more PIM this season (20) than Slavin (8) or Pettersson (12). But half of those PIM for Matthews came from a 10 minute misconduct that was given to literally every player who happened to be on the ice at the time during a game against Buffalo, regardless of their level of involvement in the brawl.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Softest player award, or what was it again?

Smart man.

stan mikita was not soft.

Mikta was a skilled puck handler and scared goalies to death when he neared their area code.

However, he still had a temper that caused him to get into trouble as well as the penalty box.

Between 1963-64 and 1964-65 when he led the NHL with 89 and 87 points respectively, Mikita also piled up a combined 300 penalty minutes.

He may have only been 5’9”, but Mikita didn’t back down to anyone.

In fact, Hull once described his friend as “…tougher than a night in jail.”

Then, one day Mikita had a conversation with his daughter, Meg, and he had an epiphany that changed his playing style for the better.

“She said to me, ‘I watched you last night and you were really good,’ and I said, ‘Well, thank you, dear,’” Mikita told The Hockey News in 2007. “Then she asked me, ‘When that man with the stripes on his sweater blew the whistle, why did Uncle Bobby (Hull) and Uncle Kenny (Wharram) go one way and you went the other way and sat down all by yourself? Were you being a bad boy?’ That really made me think. I decided then that when I did get a penalty, I would go to the referee and say, ‘Geez, I’m really sorry, sir.’ I would kill them with kindness.”
In 1966-67 and 1967-68, Mikita resolved to clean up his act and did so in glorious fashion.

Not only did he decrease his penalty minutes to just 26 during that span, but Mikitaalso received the Lady Byng Trophy for the most sportsmanlike and gentlemanly player in the NHL.

“I guarantee you, if you had placed a wager during my first few seasons in the NHL that I would someday be hailed for sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct, you would have gotten some really long odds,” said Mikita.
It wasn’t just his disposition that was rewarded.

Mikita led the NHL in points with 97 in ‘66-67 and 87 in ‘67-68 (which included a career-best 40 goals).

source: The Life And Career Of Stan Mikita (Story)

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
At this point Im not sure if winning, losing, or just being nominated will be good or bad for Petterssons mental health

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Wasn't Matthews suspended just last year? Quite legitimately too, if memory serves.

Regardless, this should be going to Slavin every year.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
What the qualifications for this award really?
Being an extremely good player with exemplary sportsmanship. Doesn't mean you're a pushover, it means you're not hacking, whacking, and being a horrible asshole at every chance. Jaccob Slavin, for instance, has only used the F word once in his career, in junior, and still brings it up as a moment of real regret. He had a season where he only took one penalty, an accidental puck over glass DoG. It does not stop him from erasing Connor McDavid from the scoresheet.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Was it Ray Ferraro who said he never wanted any part of this award?
Ya I think he said that but not positive, I do remember Moligny,
When then-Toronto Maple Leaf Alex Mogilny won the Byng in 2003, he refused to show up and accept it,
Grown men being afraid of an award. Like it will somehow change the perception players they face multiple times a years have of them. If you’re so insecure about being labeled as soft just don’t be. That’s not even what this award is about anyway.
Softest player award, or what was it again?

Smart man.
Playing within the rules of the game and having sportsmanship isn’t being soft. Nobody ever labeled Joe Sakic, Bobby Hull, Ron Francis, Anze Kopitar or Johnny Bucyk as such.

Grow up.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Grown men being afraid of an award. Like it will somehow change the perception others players they face multiple times a years have of them. If you’re so insecure about being labeled as soft just don’t be. That’s not even what this award is about anyway.

Playing within the rules of the game and having sportsmanship isn’t being soft. Nobody ever labeled Joe Sakic, Bobby Hull, Ron Francis, Anze Kopitar or Johnny Bucyk as soft.

Grow up.
Gentlemanly conduct kind of implies soft, in a physical game.
Name of the trophy doesn’t help the stigma.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Pettersson for Byng? On a side note, how many awards did the Canuck organisation get nominated for this year? Seems like the all star game again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad