Value of: SJ Timo Meier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Murat Ates, the Jets Athletic reporter:

Wait. It gets worse.

A league source told The Athletic that the Jets are interested in trading for Sharks star Timo Meier but Meier’s camp has indicated that, if acquired, he would not be interested in signing an extension in Winnipeg.

This dramatically reduces Winnipeg’s sincere interest in Meier, who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer. The Jets are not after a rental for the price Meier is likely to fetch — not even a two-year rental, which Meier could be if the Jets tendered his $10 million qualifying offer this summer. The Jets won’t give up top prospects or draft capital unless the player(s) they acquire are here for the long haul.
So I could see this as definitely being true but there’s also been a ton of talk that Timo’s agent hasn’t talked to anyone yet,

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Murat Ates, the Jets Athletic reporter:

Wait. It gets worse.

A league source told The Athletic that the Jets are interested in trading for Sharks star Timo Meier but Meier’s camp has indicated that, if acquired, he would not be interested in signing an extension in Winnipeg.

This dramatically reduces Winnipeg’s sincere interest in Meier, who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer. The Jets are not after a rental for the price Meier is likely to fetch — not even a two-year rental, which Meier could be if the Jets tendered his $10 million qualifying offer this summer. The Jets won’t give up top prospects or draft capital unless the player(s) they acquire are here for the long haul.
Is that league source in New Jersey?

• Haha
Reactions: Forge

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So I could see this as definitely being true but there’s also been a ton of talk that Timo’s agent hasn’t talked to anyone yet,

Not contract talks but we're getting close to the deadline so I'm sure his agent has told teams that he won't go there.

Plus his agent is Claude Lemieux and he had some clashes with management here about his son's usage when Brendan played with the Jets. Probably not inclined to do them any favours.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I’m curious if we’re coming down to a comfortability issue for Meier in where he prefer to extend. It seems as though Carolina and NJ have the teammate’s that Meier knows. Countrymen Fast in CAR and Hischier in NJ, Burnzie in CAR. Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if that’s a factor in anyway.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I’m curious if we’re coming down to a comfortability issue for Meier in where he prefer to extend. It seems as though Carolina and NJ have the teammate’s that Meier knows. Countrymen Fast in CAR and Hischier in NJ, Burnzie in CAR. Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if that’s a factor in anyway.

Meier played with Ehlers in Halifax, though I'm sure that connection has faded over the years. I think "comfortability" in this case means "a good team that also plays somewhere that I'd like to live", which is the mantra for 99% of free agents.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not contract talks but we're getting close to the deadline so I'm sure his agent has told teams that he won't go there.

Plus his agent is Claude Lemieux and he had some clashes with management here about his son's usage when Brendan played with the Jets. Probably not inclined to do them any favours.
I mean everyone involved could get in huge trouble by talking before SJ allows it. My big question is what’s the source?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If it was a source that wasn't reputable I doubt Ates would've repeated it. He's not the type.
Basically what my thinking is that this basically made WPG reprioritize their targets but I could easily see them continuing to chase Timo until his agent says that he for sure won’t sign.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Basically what my thinking is that this basically made WPG reprioritize their targets but I could easily see them continuing to chase Timo until his agent says that he for sure won’t sign.

There's ways around this. His agent can't talk directly to the Jets but I'm sure he can tell a guy who can tell Chevy it won't happen, it must happen all the time given the number of deals that happen all the time so soon after trades - there's no indication that Horvat and the Isles talked before that trade but I'm sure Lou isn't dumb enough to make that deal without knowing that he'd extend there.

I can see Winnipeg and San Jose discussing some smaller options (I know Labanc has a year left but if he's available then that could be an option) but I doubt the Meier talks go any further at this point, assuming that source is correct.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
There's ways around this. His agent can't talk directly to the Jets but I'm sure he can tell a guy who can tell Chevy it won't happen, it must happen all the time given the number of deals that happen all the time so soon after trades - there's no indication that Horvat and the Isles talked before that trade but I'm sure Lou isn't dumb enough to make that deal without knowing that he'd extend there.

I can see Winnipeg and San Jose discussing some smaller options (I know Labanc has a year left but if he's available then that could be an option) but I doubt the Meier talks go any further at this point, assuming that source is correct.
Definitely. I mean it’s beneficial for Grier to go to Timo early and say would you sign in WPG and if he says no then Grier can shift his focus elsewhere.

I’d ship Labanc out easily. Throw us a 3rd and deal.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
You say that, but where's the precedent to support this line of thinking? Who's the best prospect to be traded in the past 5+ years? Erik Brannstrom? What makes Meier different that he's going to get a young player or prospect that no other comparable player has gotten in a trade?
When was the last time a player like Meier was available at the deadline? I am genuinely curious. First line, 40+ goal scorer, regular NHLer in their prime without any NTC/NMC contingencies, looking to sign a long term extension with a club. I bet you won’t find anyone with all of these boxes checked unless you go back to the 90s. (I am ready to be fully wrong with this lol).

Point is, it is laughable to consider prospects “untouchable.“ It’s just a negotiation tactic. Realistically there are zero prospects “off the table” when an elite player with all of the above attributes is available and your team is making a cup run. This overvaluation of prospects is wild. I say the same thing about the Sharks top prospects too. Not that I’m saying trade your prospects for current top players but to have them completely off the table is silly

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
When was the last time a player like Meier was available at the deadline? I am genuinely curious. First line, 40+ goal scorer, regular NHLer in their prime without any NTC/NMC contingencies, looking to sign a long term extension with a club. I bet you won’t find anyone with all of these boxes checked unless you go back to the 90s. (I am ready to be fully wrong with this lol).

Point is, it is laughable to consider prospects “untouchable.“ It’s just a negotiation tactic. Realistically there are zero prospects “off the table” when an elite player with all of the above attributes is available and your team is making a cup run. This overvaluation of prospects is wild. I say the same thing about the Sharks top prospects too. Not that I’m saying trade your prospects for current top players but to have them completely off the table is silly
And yet reports specific to each team say that all of Hughes, Nemec and Nikishin are 100% untouchable

Complain about it all you want. The overvaluation of prospects extends very much to NHL teams

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Not really, the StL double 1sts + is now not a thing. Mercer, 23 1st, 24 1st ugh! Put up Marleaus jersey so we can get TM to NJ for Avs game next week!
If St Louis never had their own pick on the table, those two picks were never a thing

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Mark Stone for sure. Taylor Hall got shipped a couple of months before the deadline.

Recently these guys have been moved in the off season (Fiala, Debrincat)

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Mark Stone for sure. Taylor Hall got shipped a couple of months before the deadline.

Mark stone meh. The dude is a good player but gets way to overhyped for some reason. Never broke 30 goals before being traded and then never managed to stay healthy.

• Haha
Reactions: HBK27

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Stone yes, Hall at the time not really. Stone is the most comparable move, but again I think its a different situation and market than it was then

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Stone yes, Hall at the time not really. Stone is the most comparable move, but again I think its a different situation and market than it was then

I think it's also why Grier is going for quality v quantity here, Brannstrom was an awesome prospect at the time so you could stomach not getting a massive return.

Reactions: themelkman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad