Prospect Info: Simon Lundmark, RD (2nd round, 51st overall)

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I agree but. They have changed their philosophy at the amateur level which usually means you change it at the pro level. Given the Pionk trade it looks like Chevy wants a mobile puck moving defense. Maurice has been reluctant to play these types.

Mo has preached a quick skill game and these D men fall under that skill set. Chevy is obviously moving in another direction with the D core - Mo is either on side or gone - and I can't see him shooting himself in the foot.

However, the major complaint on Mo has always been his tendency to over play his vets - that won't end but eventually, the players you draft are your vets. Myers, Buff, Chia won't be around when these guys arrive (you have to assume) so the make up of the Jets back end is going to look a lot different than it does today.

Will he be around for the transition? Who knows.

The one caveat for Mo (IMO) is that these guys will need to be able to play in there own end - as they should.

Last edited:

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I agree but. They have changed their philosophy at the amateur level which usually means you change it at the pro level. Given the Pionk trade it looks like Chevy wants a mobile puck moving defense. Maurice has been reluctant to play these types.

Doesn't bode well for PoMo it seems!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Simon Lundmark, RHD (Linkoping, SHL – No. 21 EU)

Lundmark spent some time as a depth defenseman in the top Swedish league this year and filled the role well. A two-way defender, Lundmark was one of Sweden’s better players at the U-18 Five Nations tournament in Michigan last summer and used his 6-foot-2, 201-pound frame to throw some massive hits. Lundmark’s top speed is impressive, and if he doesn’t win a puck battle because of his skating, he finds a way to use his strength to regain control. Scouts would have preferred to see him play a bit more in the SHL, but he has all the makings of a solid depth defender who can contribute offense.

I like this pick better than our 1st pick, at least this guy has some good size, and sounds like a really good 2 way player. I just don't want to see the Jet's defense getting populated with undersized D-men that can get hurt a lot easier. -- Good pick here it seems.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I like this pick better than our 1st pick, at least this guy has some good size, and sounds like a really good 2 way player. I just don't want to see the Jet's defense getting populated with undersized D-men that can get hurt a lot easier. -- Good pick here it seems.

This pick is the one that's putting the Jets in the C grade category by most of the pundits who follow these prospects.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This pick is the one that's putting the Jets in the C grade category by most of the pundits who follow these prospects.

You could well be right --never have seen him play, but read some good things about him, and liked his size. I hope he works out.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

You could well be right --never have seen him play, but read some good things about him, and liked his size. I hope he works out.

Logan Stanley is big. Size isn't always the mark of a good pick.

I remember hearing the same thing about leaving Couts on the board to take Scheifele. "Amateur hour," was the prevailing sentiment.

Pundits gonna pund.

Sure, but I put a bit more faith in them when it comes to the later round picks. We'll see how he does, I hope he plays in the NHL.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I remember hearing the same thing about leaving Couts on the board to take Scheifele. "Amateur hour," was the prevailing sentiment.

Pundits gonna pund.
Pundits = bloggers = zero qualifications other then possibly a communication diploma from the local community college.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Pundits = bloggers = zero qualifications other then possibly a communication diploma from the local community college.

These are guys like Pronman saying it, not some internet blogger, but sure, I guess he hasn't played before and probably his opinion isn't worth a lot

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
These are guys like Pronman saying it, not some internet blogger, but sure, I guess he hasn't played before and probably his opinion isn't worth a lot
All these guys really are is people like you and me, who are given a platform, and who are good writers.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
All these guys really are is people like you and me, who are given a platform, and who are good writers.

I wouldn't quite agree with that. They go to a lot of junior games, they talk to plenty of scouts, and they have a good read on things. Pronman is one of the ones I think is usually pretty solid with his rankings and thoughts on this stuff.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I wouldn't quite agree with that. They go to a lot of junior games, they talk to plenty of scouts, and they have a good read on things. Pronman is one of the ones I think is usually pretty solid with his rankings and thoughts on this stuff.

Plus they're usually not good writers.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
No one really seems all that high on him, but he says his passing ability and hockey IQ are two of his biggest strengths. I'm decidedly okay with this pick, as I have no real idea who was available at the time, having not done much research, or even listened to the draft while at work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad