Simmonds for Skinner

Would you be in favor of a Simmonds for Skinner swap?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I know this is a fun narrative to spin but you do realize that EVERYONE is literally one concussion away from not having a career anymore, right? This isnt just exclusive to Skinner? Concussions are what put me out of the game at a competitive level when I was playing, so i'm certainly not taking the idea lightly. But his last concussion was 2014, i believe. While you never 'recover' from these things fully, I'd say he's played the game at a decent level and has moved past that.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
A healthy Wayne Simmonds is a factor in the game, no only by scoring 30 goals a season but he adds some much needed hustle and leadership.

Just look at the roles pesty skilled players like Hornquist or Marchand have played in the playoffs this year. Simmonds may be smarter and plays more contained but he is the closest to those guys that the Flyers do have in their system.
Yep like I said as long as we bring in a Simmonds thpe right after the trade fine.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Skinner's injury history is not a big deal when he's only got one year left on his current deal.

Reactions: Starat327

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
I vote yes

The biggest factor in my decision was even strength play. Skinner looks to be better in that aspect. He would also improve the top 6 (Skinner-Patrick-Voracek O_O). As good as Simmonds is on the PP, the production will probably even out.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Skinner's injury history is not a big deal when he's only got one year left on his current deal.

I agree with it being overstated.......but you wouldn’t trade a 1 year rental for a 1 year rental at the stage the Flyers are at. If you’re not re-signing Skinner it’s a bad trade given the longer term assets you’d be passing up.

I’m not even sure if in GM World, Wayne is more valuable too.....

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Even if this weren't in a vacuum, I would do it. I'm not up for any adds on either sides except a Flyers 4th rd pick. Swapping a 1st for a 2nd, or etc. is blah and I pass. As it stands, it's conceivable the Flyers start the year with Simmonds, and maybe/probably trade him during the course of the year. I'm unsure if/why Skinner couldn't be treated the same way- traded during the year. I would rather trade Simmonds for something else, but given the specific question this thread is built upon, it's trade Simmer for Skinner, or keep Simmer. I'd trade for Skinner, and if need be, most likely if not resigning to a favorable Flyer advantage, trade Skinner for the 1st (2nd) rd pick and maybe +?

The only pause I have is trading Simmer in division. If this is fantasy land, can we trade Simmer to Mtl, Mtl trades Patches to Car, and we get Skinner in Phl? I have fewer qualms with Simmer in Mtl, than Car, although it's only a game difference in the schedule.

Last edited:

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
Why? We have enough picks. If Simmonds is moved, the main piece coming back should be a young player already with some NHL experience to fit with the core
to trade 3 first to better or yes that what you said, but dont want skinner he too is ufa next season so i dont see us gaining much with him

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I think the point of a Simmonds trade would be to set us up better for the future. I’d rather have a minimum of seven years of a first round draft pick than one year of Jeff Skinner. I trust Hexy at the draft.

I’m never a big fan of any trade that nets you a player who is under your control for a year or less.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think the point of a Simmonds trade would be to set us up better for the future. I’d rather have a minimum of seven years of a first round draft pick than one year of Jeff Skinner. I trust Hexy at the draft.

I’m never a big fan of any trade that nets you a player who is under your control for a year or less.
agreed...but I would be trying to re-sign Skinner as he would only be 27 when his new deal starts and his speed on the wing would help us. As would his goalscoring.

All the sudden you could have Skinner-Patrick-Voracek as a nice 2nd line and then let Lindblom and Frost be sheltered on the 3rd line.

I will say, it IS funny to see people complain about Hextall not making "now" moves, then want Simmonds traded for futures. And not saying you directly, just people in general.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
agreed...but I would be trying to re-sign Skinner as he would only be 27 when his new deal starts and his speed on the wing would help us. As would his goalscoring.

All the sudden you could have Skinner-Patrick-Voracek as a nice 2nd line and then let Lindblom and Frost be sheltered on the 3rd line.

I will say, it IS funny to see people complain about Hextall not making "now" moves, then want Simmonds traded for futures. And not saying you directly, just people in general.

This. I'd be comfortable giving Skinner a contract extension, assuming he played well here. I would not be as comfortable giving that extension to simmonds. 7 years for Simmonds takes him to what, 37? Those last few years could be BAD for our cap situation given his likely diminutive production during those years.

skinner's would take him from 27-34 - prime-ish years where he would still be effective. And while it certainly wouldnt be ideal - if he gets concussed (heaven forbid), we can play the LTIR game for a little while. Front load the contract and make it aoppealing to a cap floor team.

I wouldnt mind moving Simmonds for futures either - but im just not interested in acquiring another late pick. If we could package 19 + simmonds to say, the Oilers for their 1st and a plus of some sort, sure. But im not terribly interested in another b prospect and pick #25.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Count me in, I dont believe Simmonds will be the roster when his contract runs up 1 way or another. If we can get someone who helps us now and would not have to break the bank to resign (and he is somewhat young) that would be an ideal trade for me.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly

What kind of contract do you think Skinner would be looking for?

Not opposed to it by any means, just always a risk when you only control the guy for one year. If they’re confident they could get a deal done, I could definitely be in favor of it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What kind of contract do you think Skinner would be looking for?

Not opposed to it by any means, just always a risk when you only control the guy for one year. If they’re confident they could get a deal done, I could definitely be in favor of it.
I would say you are likely looking at a 5-6 year deal at 6 million per.

But as I said before, Lindblom won't need any big money for 4 years if you bridge him for 2 years. And even then, who knows. But at that point, you can always look to move Skinner if you want.

Ideally, I would want a 4 year deal which means we get his 27-30 year old seasons and he becomes a UFA at 31.

Reactions: flyersjim73

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Would not do.

Everyone's bailing on Simmonds because he had one down season playing through a host of brutal injuries. But I think his presence means a lot to the team, and taking him off the roster makes the Flyers easier to play against. I'm pretty sure most opponents would rather face the Flyers with Skinner in place of Simmonds.

And Simmonds still equaled Skinner's 24 goals, and had only 3 fewer points (46 v. 49), despite playing 7 fewer games and being hurt all season.

I think there are a lot of itchy trigger fingers around here.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Why is that?
Skinner is 26 and Simmonds is 30. Both are a year out from free agency and both have put up comparable numbers over the last couple years. Why would you trade a younger player for an older player that brings about the same thing to your team? Would you trade Ghost for Keith Yandle?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
You know what teams are hard to play against? Fast ones who score a lot.

The Flyers only look soft when they just lose the game overall. Don't need to resort to getting slow, prodding goons who can't do anything (not that Simmonds is one of those).

Simmonds at ES hasn't been really all that good. The Flyers need speed and they need skill. Skinner has both.

Especially if you are looking long and seeing Myers and possibly Morin on the back end. The line of Patrick/Voracek/Lindblom are huge and will just get stronger (two of them will)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad