Simmonds for Skinner

Would you be in favor of a Simmonds for Skinner swap?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
No, I didn't miss that. It still doesn't mean that they would take a 30 year old Simmonds on an expiring deal for Skinner. I mean, maybe I missed the part where he said he wants to get tougher and that can only occur in a trade involving Jeff Skinner. Last time I checked the Hurricanes could trade Skinner for anyone (picks even) and still get tougher by signing or making other moves. If they are taking offers on Skinner, I would be that Simmonds wouldn't be the best offer they get.

So let's pretend the contract situation was the same. Would you do it? Of course not.

You’re right, Skinner could be traded for anyone. Anyone in the NHL can be traded for anyone if your using that logic. Also, you’re arguing again not fully understanding the situation. The owner has made it very clear that losing isn’t an option right now. They have been losing for too long. That’s why they fired Francis. He felt he wasn’t doing enough to make the team competitive. So using common sense would mean they are looking to get better now, not using a draft pick on an 17-18 year old kid who will help in three/four years. Also now, before you argue he could get a better return than Simmonds, Mackenzie has already stated due to his no move/trade in his contract Skinner holds all the cards. His value is diminished. Mackenzie publicly stated that.

Also, your hypothetical about yandle and Ghost. Still not relevant. Every situation is different. Yandle doesn’t provide anything better than ghost. He’s older and less aware defensively. Skinner and Simmonds are two entirely different types of players, one being exactly what the owner stated his team was looking for.

Overall, I wouldn’t even trade Simmonds for Skinner. I believe Simmonds has more value on the open market because he can be dealt anywhere if our choosing. Also, Simmonds plays a game far more GMs in the NHL chase than Skinner does. Skinner more than likely will be traded for a very underwhelming package.

That’s why I would target him. He won’t cost too much to re-sign to a 4-5 year deal and he can provide solid depth and goal scoring to our top 9.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You’re right, Skinner could be traded for anyone. Anyone in the NHL can be traded for anyone if your using that logic.

That is very clearly not the point of the argument. You are suggesting that the Canes want to get tougher so trading Skinner for Simmonds makes sense. What I am saying is that they can get tougher in a number of ways, so the fact that Simmonds is a tougher player than Skinner doesn't have the impact that you seem to think it does.

Also, you’re arguing again not fully understanding the situation. The owner has made it very clear that losing isn’t an option right now. They have been losing for too long. That’s why they fired Francis. He felt he wasn’t doing enough to make the team competitive. So using common sense would mean they are looking to get better now, not using a draft pick on an 17-18 year old kid who will help in three/four years. Also now, before you argue he could get a better return than Simmonds, Mackenzie has already stated due to his no move/trade in his contract Skinner holds all the cards. His value is diminished. Mackenzie publicly stated that.

I understand the situation but maybe I am missing something else. The NTC issue always the bogeyman in the room and only in pretty rare situations does it have this negative impact. Absolutely might have that impact, no question. If he comes out and says I refuse to play for anyone but Philadelphia, then ok they'll take what they can get. But rarely does that happen with NTCs. We see them waived and we see value all the time despite the fear mongering on HFBoards.

Also, your hypothetical about yandle and Ghost. Still not relevant. Every situation is different. Yandle doesn’t provide anything better than ghost. He’s older and less aware defensively. Skinner and Simmonds are two entirely different types of players, one being exactly what the owner stated his team was looking for.

Well ok you don't like the analogy, we'll just use hypothetical players. Would you trade a younger Flyer for an older player both on expiring deals with similar production (for whatever reason...to get tougher, to "win now," to do anything)?

Overall, I wouldn’t even trade Simmonds for Skinner. I believe Simmonds has more value on the open market because he can be dealt anywhere if our choosing. Also, Simmonds plays a game far more GMs in the NHL chase than Skinner does. Skinner more than likely will be traded for a very underwhelming package.

That’s why I would target him. He won’t cost too much to re-sign to a 4-5 year deal and he can provide solid depth and goal scoring to our top 9.

Is that last sentence in reference to Simmonds or Skinner? I don't think either are going to be that cheap to re-sign but I agree they both will provide the depth. I think Simmonds should be traded regardless and preferably for futures. I love Simmonds and I think he will continue to have success no matter where he goes, but he's superfluous here. I imagine he's going to be looking at third line minutes this upcoming season, maybe fighting for second line minutes and who knows about the PP depending on how things shake out. For a guy who will be 31 when his contract expires and is likely going to be looking for a big payday, especially if he has another good year this year, I think his best value to the Flyers is as trade chip.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I don't like JS and JV on the same line. Neither of them are very physical players.

To each their own. I want to become a fast, tenacious team.

I don’t want slugs, I don’t want slow. I don’t necessarily require physical.

I’d be more than fine with that top 6.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
To each their own. I want to become a fast, tenacious team.

I don’t want slugs, I don’t want slow. I don’t necessarily require physical.

I’d be more than fine with that top 6.

Fast isn't necessarily good if your team doesn't have a strong fore check. Voracek unfortunately makes a lot of bone headed plays. I think he thinks he's better than he actually is, tries to be too cute at times.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Fast isn't necessarily good if your team doesn't have a strong fore check. Voracek unfortunately makes a lot of bone headed plays. I think he thinks he's better than he actually is, tries to be too cute at times.

I personally find Simmonds intangibles and the sort overstated. I don’t think he’s very good at ES, and his production is replaceable there. And it seems as if NP has replaced him on the top PP.

I expect a change and getting younger with getting a top 6 player in exchange for him like Skinner would be a good move, IMO.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Jake not being physical is news to me. He's physical WITH the puck, the best kind.

Jake Voracek isn't what I'd consider to be a very physical player. His fore check game to me isn't that great. He's not exactly a great back checker either.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
We’ll just have to begrudgingly settle the next 2 years before expansion with Jake being only an elite winger and not top 3. He’s in the Elite Bum tier with Phil the Thrill.

Reactions: Starat327

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Giroux stunk last year when he was playing thru an injury all season.

Simmonds has a long history of not being a good even strength player. I'm not particularly interested in trading him for Skinner but I think moving on from him is a good idea.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Giroux stunk last year when he was playing thru an injury all season.

Giroux did not stink anywhere near the level of Simmonds. Simmonds is an actual detriment on the ice when he's not just standing around the net on the PP. The team would be better with an AHL promotion in his ES slot.

Simmonds also was looking poor at ES before this season

His PP contributions are not of much value to this team any more.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Jake Voracek isn't what I'd consider to be a very physical player. His fore check game to me isn't that great. He's not exactly a great back checker either.
Nope he doesn't have what it takes and you don't want young players following in those foot steps. Hope he's traded soon.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Nope he doesn't have what it takes and you don't want young players following in those foot steps. Hope he's traded soon.

I'd keep Voracek but that's me. I just don't think he's a very physical player. I don't really want to use the term lazy checker but I don't have a better way to describe it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad