Value of: Signing UFA Erik Haula

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Russo and Haula had a feud going way back in MN, when Russo said his ceiling would be as a 4th line player.

I certainly wouldn't consider Haula to be a problem player. On the contrary, he is a smart, versatile player who can play C or wing, defend or be a decent middle six offensive player. I certainly would consider him a better all round player than Duclair.

If you can get him for a one year, 2M contract it would be a very good contract for the team, even in a year such as this. He would be perfect for a team such as VAN, giving them some quality depth, and making them even faster.

He may not be a problem player in general, but he certainly clashed with the coach in Carolina and had some attitude problems there. Whether or not his attitude was justified or not is debatable, but there’s no denying that it happened. Russo wasn’t the only person reporting on it.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Yep. Was well publicized at the time. I think it was Russo that broke it first.

Speculation: - Erik Haula on the outs in CAR

My read on it was this: Things started out well in Carolina. Haula got injured and wasn’t playing well after returning. Probably frustrated about lack of scoring in a contract year, he wasn’t playing both ends of the ice to the coaches liking and thus was getting less playing time. Boiled over when he missed a crucial assignment against the NYI and Brind’amour benched him and later healthy scratched him.
Once Williams returned, the Canes had even more forward depth and had to scratch one legit forward every night. Russo first reported, later confirmed by Forslund and Sara Civian that Haula was clashing with Brindy. Haula’s wife even made an Instagram post about it.

He was traded shortly thereafter.

I can understand frustration about being in a contract year and feeling that you aren’t getting enough prime opportunities to be able to cash in, so I can understand that ( even though statistically he was getting good minutes, with decent linemates, against soft competition, with 1st unit pp time). once you start openly clashing with a well respected coach during a playoff run, it’s not a good look.

That is all speculation.. Nothing was confirmed, just because it came from people that follow the team, it was still only speculated by them. (They all speculated on the Islanders game). No players, or actual coaching staff, or him himself said anything about it though.

The post from his wife was regarding the loss of their unborn, where she stated "she had a rough first few months" in Carolina, but praised the team afterwards.

He lost playing time because of his play, but it was a revolving door at forward, and that happens to lots of players on lots of team.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That is all speculation.. Nothing was confirmed, just because it came from people that follow the team, it was still only speculated by them. (They all speculated on the Islanders game). No players, or actual coaching staff, or him himself said anything about it though.

The post from his wife was regarding the loss of their unborn, where she stated "she had a rough first few months" in Carolina, but praised the team afterwards.

He lost playing time because of his play, but it was a revolving door at forward, and that happens to lots of players on lots of team.

C’mon. Guys like John Forslund talked about it, Sara Civian commented on it, etc. these people ARE inside the organization.

and I wasn’t referring to his wife’s comment about tough times, I’m referring to her quasi-cryptic IG post right when this was happening where she talked about “if they aren’t appreciating what you bring to the table, let them eat alone.”

I’m not saying Haula is a problem child or a bad guy, but by all accounts, he clashed with the coach in Carolina. Maybe he had valid reasons to, but the point is that he did. I agree his poor play was the cause of it, but a number of sources talked about it, how he was unhappy with RBA, and it’s more than just speculation. Likely a big part of the reason he was moved in the middle of a playoff run.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Looks like Haula is going to Preds 1yr 1,75M$.

If that is true, I'm bit disappointed since I was really hoping to see a contender. Turns out Preds also picked up Granlund 1 yr deal as well, so there could be some decent chemistry between them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad