Value of: Signing UFA Erik Haula

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I still think because Vegas needs to make a little cap room anyways that he ends up back with the Knights for lower cost.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Does Minnesota hate him? They are planning to use Johansson as a center...

I dont think we hate him. I also dont think we can afford him. Its also unclear if johansson will actually play center, depends on if rossi makes the team.

Potential centers on team not named johansson:

eriksson ek
bonino
sturm
bjugstad
rossi
rask
even greenway has been mentioned

Reactions: mattihp

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Minnesota is where he got the nickname Haulafamer, it wasn't intended as a compliment.

was also given by teammates that were part of a culture of dysfunction which guerin has been trying to change, so id take the nickname with a grain of salt. Nothing wrong with knowing your stats and being confident/cocky in your skillset.

Reactions: mattihp

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I thought it was a joke based solely on his name? Many of the wild fans already knew him from the Gophers.
It was given to Haula by his Wild team mates because he was so full of himself.

was also given by teammates that were part of a culture of dysfunction which guerin has been trying to change, so id take the nickname with a grain of salt. Nothing wrong with knowing your stats and being confident/cocky in your skillset.

That's probably why he's in such high demand right now? Or, why the Golden Knights, Hurricanes, and Panthers were in such a hurry to keep him around? The guy is a meh bottom 6 player who really isn't worth the headache.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
It was given to Haula by his Wild team mates because he was so full of himself.

That's probably why he's in such high demand right now? Or, why the Golden Knights, Hurricanes, and Panthers were in such a hurry to keep him around? The guy is a meh bottom 6 player who really isn't worth the headache.

vegas traded him for cap relief AFTER giving him an extension, hurricanes and panthers were post extensive knee surgery give me a break. look at his advanced statistics, he has proven both that he is not a bottom 6 player or "meh" just admit you hate the guy and your perception of him has nothing to do with his actual talent

Reactions: LAINEC and mattihp

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
vegas traded him for cap relief AFTER giving him an extension, hurricanes and panthers were post extensive knee surgery give me a break. look at his advanced statistics, he has proven both that he is not a bottom 6 player or "meh"
Vegas was so happy with Haula that they gave a 33 year old Paul Stastny 3 years @ $6.5M to replace him. I have no idea what advanced numbers you could be using to show that he's a top 6 caliber player.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Haula will be 30 in March, he missed basically all of 2018-19 with a serious knee injury and then missed another month last season with more issues on that same knee. He's 2017-18 season was clearly an outlier in terms of power play usage and offensive production. He's a 30-40 point pace, veteran speedy forward with some skill and versatility but his offensive contributions are inconsistent and...yeah...knee issues. The best way for him to extend his NHL career is to simply double down on being a pesky, industrious and fast checking line/middle-6 player who will occasionally make a razzle dazzle play.

One-year "show me you can get through a full season on your knee" deal for $1.25-1.5 million is my guess. There's a reason GM's aren't rushing to sign him. You're not paying him to be the 17-18 Haula in Vegas, you're paying him based on what you expect him to be in the future. And sure, that may not match up to what Haula or his agent think he should be getting but...good luck in this market coming off his last two seasons. He can help some teams if he plays better than he did in Florida (where he was useless) but there are lots of red flags here which is why some team is gonna get him real cheap IMO.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Vegas was so happy with Haula that they gave a 33 year old Paul Stastny 3 years @ $6.5M to replace him. I have no idea what advanced numbers you could be using to show that he's a top 6 caliber player.

corsi, fenwick, face off percentage, goals, assists, goals per 60, assists per 60... all are comparable to top 6 players... the only time those number were truly low were when he was playing a limited 4th line role in minnesota. even after his injury those numbers were still not bad. exception: florida

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
vegas traded him for cap relief AFTER giving him an extension, hurricanes and panthers were post extensive knee surgery give me a break. look at his advanced statistics, he has proven both that he is not a bottom 6 player or "meh" just admit you hate the guy and your perception of him has nothing to do with his actual talent
Canes got rid of him because of his attitude and clashes with the coach. It wasn’t because of post knee surgery concerns

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Canes got rid of him because of his attitude and clashes with the coach. It wasn’t because of post knee surgery concerns
He clashed with Carolina coaching and had an attitude? Really? Not saying you're wrong or something, but that's somewhat surprising.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He clashed with Carolina coaching and had an attitude? Really? Not saying you're wrong or something, but that's somewhat surprising.

Yep. Was well publicized at the time. I think it was Russo that broke it first.

Speculation: - Erik Haula on the outs in CAR

My read on it was this: Things started out well in Carolina. Haula got injured and wasn’t playing well after returning. Probably frustrated about lack of scoring in a contract year, he wasn’t playing both ends of the ice to the coaches liking and thus was getting less playing time. Boiled over when he missed a crucial assignment against the NYI and Brind’amour benched him and later healthy scratched him.
Once Williams returned, the Canes had even more forward depth and had to scratch one legit forward every night. Russo first reported, later confirmed by Forslund and Sara Civian that Haula was clashing with Brindy. Haula’s wife even made an Instagram post about it.

He was traded shortly thereafter.

I can understand frustration about being in a contract year and feeling that you aren’t getting enough prime opportunities to be able to cash in, so I can understand that ( even though statistically he was getting good minutes, with decent linemates, against soft competition, with 1st unit pp time). once you start openly clashing with a well respected coach during a playoff run, it’s not a good look.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russo and Haula had a feud going way back in MN, when Russo said his ceiling would be as a 4th line player.

I certainly wouldn't consider Haula to be a problem player. On the contrary, he is a smart, versatile player who can play C or wing, defend or be a decent middle six offensive player. I certainly would consider him a better all round player than Duclair.

If you can get him for a one year, 2M contract it would be a very good contract for the team, even in a year such as this. He would be perfect for a team such as VAN, giving them some quality depth, and making them even faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuerinUp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad