Should we be looking for a longterm 2c/3c instead of splitting up Matthews/Nylander?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I'm curious if there's a way to switch Bozak out for Calle Jarnkrok in Nashville. Guy makes only 2 million a season for the next 4 seasons after this one. He's 26 and is a 30 point player, plays good defensively. Sets things up cap-wise, and allows a C depth of Matthews-Kadri-Jarnkrok.

Nashville is starved for offense, so Bozak might be appealing for them. I've thrown that out on the main trade board, and Preds fans didn't hate it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Jumbo was not interested then and I think he is pretty comfortable in SJ. Statsny I don't think is going to sign a short term deal at this stage of his career

i know.
still sad.
how am I losing Likes. I swear i hate this like system.

Reactions: MJ65

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I'm curious if there's a way to switch Bozak out for Calle Jarnkrok in Nashville. Guy makes only 2 million a season for the next 4 seasons after this one. He's 26 and is a 30 point player, plays good defensively. Sets things up cap-wise, and allows a C depth of Matthews-Kadri-Jarnkrok.

Nashville is starved for offense, so Bozak might be appealing for them. I've thrown that out on the main trade board, and Preds fans didn't hate it.
Really like this if we did it before the season. Not sure if its ideal to transition Nylander to C now, and Jarnkrok apparently got beat out of his 3C position so he hasn't had the greatest season to be put on a scoring line in replacement of Bozak.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
i know.
still sad.

Quiet honestly there are not any options (unless Willie is moved to "C"), so perhaps you have to extend Bozak at a reasonable term (I know it's not the ideal solution)

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Matthews Nylander Kadri will be our C depth going forward. Pretty sure you'll see
Matthews-Marner Nylander-Kapanen and Kadri-brown as our staples on the top 9. Fill in the left side with vets on short term deals chasing cups and rookies on ELC's. Aaltonen-Hyman makes for a legit skilled 4th line which Babcock loves to have.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think Nylander could and should center his own line eventually but it will have to wait until Bozak is gone. And I actually think Marner would not be a bad winger for him. Think they could develop great chemistry as well seeing how gifted they both are and play a bit of a more sheltered 2nd line scoring role. They would need some one with size and grit to play left wing however. Perhaps that is where Grundström comes in? To early to tell. Until that happens I would like to see Marleau there.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Quiet honestly there are not any options (unless Willie is moved to "C"), so perhaps you have to extend Bozak at a reasonable term (I know it's not the ideal solution)

i think... i think this is sort of why it's a good thing that Mitch isn't on this line. (I am giving mitch his own crap - he hasn't been v. good recently. he needs to get better).

We know Brown is really good defensively for the most part. if there continues to be issues on this line we (and Babcock/management) can see who exactly is the problem. JVR or Bozak - or both. (and who you get away with those lapses if this makes sense)

it will be interesting to see what comes up.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
These Make believe lineups only ensure ONE thing..the Leafs would once again be a BOTTOM dweller.....Key ingredient to any winning lineup (A).NHL players (B) proper mix of key role (NHL Players).....the lineup shown above has neither A or B..it does has promising players that may never get out of the minors let alone be NHL quality..key to remember is this...when things get serious every year "Who on your squad has PUSH BACK".....The squad you ice is softer than Baby POO!
If you remove your backbone you become a puddle of mush......There is no backbone in the lineup you show....I realize the game is becoming FIGURE SKATING but it isn't yet
You realize 75% of that line up is already on the roster, there are only 3 guys on my FUTURE line up that are in the AHL/SHL and all looked more than capable during preseason. Don't like Grundstrom? Fine, bring komarov back. Nine of the twelve players are currently on our roster only one isn't playing (Leivo) that's cause he's been blocked by other guys, but if that really makes you sour then redo the whole fourth line if you get all tingly for "truculence"... Just swap Grundstrom and Leivo for Komarov and Martin/Fehr it doesn't really matter. What matters is the elite pairings they have up and down the line up.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
i think... i think this is sort of why it's a good thing that Mitch isn't on this line. (I am giving mitch his own crap - he hasn't been v. good recently. he needs to get better).

We know Brown is really good defensively for the most part. if there continues to be issues on this line we (and Babcock/management) can see who exactly is the problem. JVR or Bozak - or both. (and who you get away with those lapses if this makes sense)

it will be interesting to see what comes up.

I am not sure why they are not auditioning Nylanderat "C" as yet, may be because there is no line available for him to play at "C"

How about audition him on Kadri's line as "C" (Move Mitch to Matthews line) for 5 -10 games to see how he look as a "C" at NHL level. I know Kadri is a "C" and that's where he is going to play but he is quiet capable of playing on wing and I am just talking about temporary switch. Once the coaching staff feel comfortable then they can decide on Bozak's future and let Willie at "C"

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I am not sure why they are not auditioning Nylanderat "C" as yet, may be because there is no line available for him to play at "C"

How about audition him on Kadri's line as "C" (Move Mitch to Matthews line) for 5 -10 games to see how he look as a "C" at NHL level. I know Kadri is a "C" and that's where he is going to play but he is quiet capable of playing on wing and I am just talking about temporary switch. Once the coaching staff feel comfortable then they can decide on Bozak's future and let Willie at "C"

I think he may get moved to the middle as a temporary fill in if one of the Leafs top one centres has a short term injury to see how he fairs

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The Carolina fanbase is stealing them. I promise. They steal likes and hoard them. Just look at this.

lol i did! :)

I wonder if we can steal of Centre from someone (i wish we had pieces to get Duchene. or you know sign Tavares) then hold one of them for ransom for Montreal teehee

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
i know.
still sad.

You are now the president of the Joy Like Club. How do I get on the action do you guys just sit around liking each other? :) Jokes. Not jokes, ok Jokes haha

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Leave him with Matthews to finish the season. They are amazing together, but I think Nylander will be even better at centre, and Marner is an even better fit with Matthews. That is an absolute match made in heaven (on paper at least, but I believe in it), and it's just waiting to happen, I think it be the most dynamic duo in the league.

Next years top 9, if my opinion mattered:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen

....yeah, I've come around to re-signing JVR, on a contract that says he's begging to stay.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
I like the Duchene idea. If there is some way to pry him away from Colorado then I would be all for trading Bozak now for some prospects and picks.
He's such a Babcock player I would love him on the leafs. Fast, skilled, defensively responsible, great on faceoffs. His frustration in Colorado and how poor they have been has really lowered his value. Could be a steal.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He's such a Babcock player I would love him on the leafs. Fast, skilled, defensively responsible, great on faceoffs. His frustration in Colorado and how poor they have been has really lowered his value. Could be a steal.
Would be great, but I dont know if we have what it takes considering we're not moving Marner, Nylander or Matthews for him.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Reinhart is apparently available. We could use a RC after Bozak leaves to keep the balance. Maybe Babcock could get him going. He's almost got the prototypical 2C skillset albeit not fully developed.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Not sure if he will be ready next year but I think Bracco would look great on Matthews wing if Nylander moves to centre. If anyone can get the puck to Matthews it's Bracco his passing is on another level. Great playmaker. That allows Marner to play with either Nylander or Kadri. Would be interested to see a Hyman-Matthews-Bracco line in the future.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I'm happy with a 1-2 punch of:

Matthews-Nylander
Kadri-Marner

The 3rd and 4th line centers are easy to find. Just need to find the right type of player that fits Babcock's system. But I am also not against having a 1-2 punch of Matthews-Nylander and Duchene-Marner, and then having Kadri back to leading a shutdown line like last year.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Duchene - Marner
Grundstrom - Kadri - Brown
Martin - X - Komarov

Not sure what it would take to get Duchene, but seems to me like his value has dropped dramatically. Maybe Kapanen+Dermott+1st or something.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I would trade what ever is needed to get Duchene he is the final piece to our team. We can then turn around and deal Bozak and JVR to the highest bidder. This is the only way that I rid myself of Bozak and JVR right now.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Brown - Duchene - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Marleau
Soshnikov - Moore/Fehr - Martin

That lineup is deadly.

Trade Kapanen, Dermott and 2nd rounder for Duchene. Should get it done.

Then deal Bozak for a 2nd Rounder and a prospect on D.

Then deal JVR for D prospect and a 1st Rounder.

If you want to package what you have gotten back for JVR and Bozak to improve your D with a young and ready now #1 or #2 . Do so. Or else keep what you have and trade at the draft.

We are set for now and in the future.

JuanSnow

Mar 5, 2016
We have no money to sign a 5m+ Centre (Bozak or someone else). It may work for the 18-19 season, but we would be cap f***ed in the 19-20 season when AM and Marner sign.

Ultimately the #2 C needs to be one of Marner or Nylander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad