Should we be looking for a longterm 2c/3c instead of splitting up Matthews/Nylander?

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Grundstrom - X - Kapanen
Martin - Gauthier/Aaltonen - Komarov

Kadri is a great #2C.
It's not hard to find a #3C who is solid defensively and can chip in 30-40 points/year.
We lost Brown!

Leafsmann

Jan 4, 2016
No, because marleau played C when not with Joe in San Jose. Leafs could do similar here.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Two things that we know about coach Babcock is likes his pairs more so than hole trio of lines to stay together, and he likes running all four lines out 5v5. Ideally I'd love to see Nylander shift to C and have these pairs going forward:
Matthews-Marner (line 1) I think they can be dynamic together like Nylander and Matty are now.
Nylander-Kapanen (sheltered scoring) these two guys have chemistry and I don't doubt kappy succeeds as soon as he gets a chance.
Kadri-Brown (matchup line) they're good for 40-50 a season between them and bring an edge and compete level needed to throw opponents top players off their game.
Aaltonen-Hyman (4th line) a fourth line that has skill speed and smarts. More like other teams third line, but that's how deep we are up front. Mix and match LW's as needed. (Marleau JVR Leivo grundstrom rychel vet fa's chasing a championship
Marleau-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Aaltonen-Hyman

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Kapanen - Nylander - Leivo
Hyman - Kadri - Brown
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Komarov

Rielly - Borgman
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Liljegren

Andersen
Pickard

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Get rid of Bozak, JVR, Moore and Fehr. That's 11.425 million saved.
Re-sign Komarov for 3.25 million a season. That leaves you with 8.250 million to spend.

Use your imagination on where to spend the other 8.250 million.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau- FA - Marner
Brown - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Altonnen - Komarov

Lots of FA centers available next season : Paul Statsny, John Taveres, Mikeal Backlund, Kyle Turris, even Joe Thornton on a 1 year deal joining his buddy Marleau.

Then there are trades available as well....here's one for you.. go get Duchense from Colorada. Why not you have the assets to do so, Your set for a very long time at a reasonable cap hit. There are lots of options. But the Duchense one has to be done soon which would mean moving Bozak out in another deal.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If they do want to keep Nylander as a winger next season I'm not sure if the Leafs need or should go big game hunting for that new centre. I'd almost prefer to go for a cheaper, but strong defensive option who can be paired with an offensive driver like Marner.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What if its Marner that replaces Nylander?

Matthews goal production would increase with playmaker Marner, because Nylander is both a shooter and passer.

Nylander centering his own line > Bozak = team getting better .

I'd be willing to put my money where my mouth is and bet on Matthews winning the Rocket with Marner riding shotgun.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Matthews goal production would increase with playmaker Marner, because Nylander is both a shooter and passer.

I'd be willing to put my money where my mouth is and bet on Matthews winning the Rocket with Marner riding shotgun.
This may very well come to pass but not this year.
Matthews
Kadri
Nylander (with Nylander assuming the bonus offensive zone starts)

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

That is something a lot of us want.

Reactions: The Cobra

RLF

May 5, 2014

Marner may be there eventually, but not sure it increases Matthews goal production as the line is designed with two shooters who can also make plays right now and a net presence which makes it dangerous. With Marner it would be one shooter and easier to key on Matthews for the shots. Nylander as a centre is an unknown, he is more skilled than Bozak no doubt, will he be able to play centre in the NHL? We don't know yet. He may be better as a winger.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Two things that we know about coach Babcock is likes his pairs more so than hole trio of lines to stay together, and he likes running all four lines out 5v5. Ideally I'd love to see Nylander shift to C and have these pairs going forward:
Matthews-Marner (line 1) I think they can be dynamic together like Nylander and Matty are now.
Nylander-Kapanen (sheltered scoring) these two guys have chemistry and I don't doubt kappy succeeds as soon as he gets a chance.
Kadri-Brown (matchup line) they're good for 40-50 a season between them and bring an edge and compete level needed to throw opponents top players off their game.
Aaltonen-Hyman (4th line) a fourth line that has skill speed and smarts. More like other teams third line, but that's how deep we are up front. Mix and match LW's as needed. (Marleau JVR Leivo grundstrom rychel vet fa's chasing a championship
Marleau-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Aaltonen-Hyman

These Make believe lineups only ensure ONE thing..the Leafs would once again be a BOTTOM dweller.....Key ingredient to any winning lineup (A).NHL players (B) proper mix of key role (NHL Players).....the lineup shown above has neither A or B..it does has promising players that may never get out of the minors let alone be NHL quality..key to remember is this...when things get serious every year "Who on your squad has PUSH BACK".....The squad you ice is softer than Baby POO!
If you remove your backbone you become a puddle of mush......There is no backbone in the lineup you show....I realize the game is becoming FIGURE SKATING but it isn't yet

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Split them up. The sooner the better. They both command the puck for too long. Both are dominate forwards and so Matthews needs a Brown again so he can work for his money rather than split shift.

Sure it looks pretty but better usage is obvious when you can make the Bozak line dominate like the Matthews line. No brainer.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

the only caveat here is that the fact Nylander can shoot the puck, it doesn't allow goalies to cheat to Matthews. Unless Marner considerably improves his shot its safe to cheat a little to his line mates (JVR in current case) the problem then becomes they can leave Marners shot open to him AND worry less about hymans shot which means Matthews is getting less open nets.

For instance the OT winner against Montreal if that is Marner with the puck the defender doesn't need to play Marner's shot as tough as he would Nylanders, and take the passing lane more and price can cheat a split second earlier to Matthews, the puck just snuck in as it was a split second quicker price that doesn't go in.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Brooks will take some time to develop but I believe he would make an excellent Bozak replacement. He won't be ready next year (barring a huge jump) but the leafs can sign a stop Gap in the meantime. Maybe Bozak gets a year or two extension but I'm guessing he's looking to cash out long term on what could be his last big contract. If he would take 2 years at under 5 mil I'd welcome him back.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Tavares would be a good Bozak replacement.

Short of that, just roll with Bozak. The fans seem to know his name.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I have a very hard time seeing any realistic scenario that has management going shopping for a big ticket, long term bet centre in UFA this year.

Yes they went after big Joe but he's a guy with like 1-2 seasons left in the NHL

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I would absolutely look into it but only commit if it made sense. I have full confidence in Nylander’s ability to drive his own line from the centre ice but he and Matthews have what looks like a special kind of chemistry. Ideally you probably try Mitch on his wing for a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad